Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Are you done purchasing CDs?
Yes
21.35%
No
44.94%
Occasionally if it's something I really want a physical copy of
33.71%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Very easy.

Check what prices they are fetching on amazon and ebay. The higher the asking price, the more rare and/or out-of-print and/or desirable a particular cd title is.
I wouldn't go by Amazon for that. Only "approved" sellers can sell certain CDs on Amazon (depending on the record company). Those sellers have in turn taken advantage of that and have jacked up the prices on some of them. Check eBay first.
Old 08-28-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
anyone out there sell off their CDs and know a decent place to offload them or how to tell what out of print CDs are valuable? I have over 600 of them, maybe closer to 1000 and they have mainly sat in a box in my basement collecting dust for a few years as its all been ripped to digital ages ago...
Discogs for the win! Best place to check to see what discs are going for and their historical selling prices, and it's easy to sell there too. Just gotta make sure you are looking at the right version of the disc (might have to check matrix numbers, etc.). There is really no better place for stuff like this.
Old 08-28-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Seconding discogs.com.
Old 08-28-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Discogs for the win! Best place to check to see what discs are going for and their historical selling prices, and it's easy to sell there too. Just gotta make sure you are looking at the right version of the disc (might have to check matrix numbers, etc.). There is really no better place for stuff like this.
Also, Discogs app works with bar-code readers too. Just scan your bar-code into the app, and that version should pull up.

Old 08-28-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

thanks guys!
Old 08-30-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

New Tool CD (a $40 single CD I might add) sold out everywhere... I thought people stopped buying CDs?
Old 08-30-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

$40 for a CD? Damn, I'm used to paying sub $10 these days, unless it's some fancy digipack version with bonus stuff or something.

I'm upgrading my system and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good dedicated CD player? A nice solid, good quality one that's quiet (e.g. no spinning sounds, high pitched whining noise, etc.) and sounds nice. Right now I'm using an old Yamaha DVD player that's starting to die on me, and I don't want to use some cheap plastic Blu-ray player to play CDs on if I can avoid it.
Old 08-30-19, 12:37 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
New Tool CD (a $40 single CD I might add) sold out everywhere... I thought people stopped buying CDs?
All this means is either Tool fans are still buying Tool cds in large enough quantities, and/or Tool's record company didn't manufacture enough copies relative to demand.

It might not generalize to fans of other bands/acts.
Old 08-30-19, 12:50 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

You guys need to see an unboxing video of the Tool album (there’s plenty of varying length on youtube). It’s not $40 just for a cd. It has a video screen with charging cable and a book full of art.
Old 08-30-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

$40 for a CD? Damn, I'm used to paying sub $10 these days, unless it's some fancy digipack version with bonus stuff or something.

I'm upgrading my system and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good dedicated CD player? A nice solid, good quality one that's quiet (e.g. no spinning sounds, high pitched whining noise, etc.) and sounds nice. Right now I'm using an old Yamaha DVD player that's starting to die on me, and I don't want to use some cheap plastic Blu-ray player to play CDs on if I can avoid it.
I bought a used Rotel RCD-1072 about 5 years ago.

It's been extremely reliable, and pretty quiet. If I put my head right up to it, I can hear it spinning, but certainly not under normal listening conditions.

I'm definitely happy with the sound.

This is a picture of the same model:

Old 08-30-19, 01:32 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Anyone ever tried using an old laptop to play *.wav files, connected to a standalone stereo?
Old 08-30-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's a digipack with rechargeable HD screen, art book and some other goofy stuff that I also felt I should have.

It's novel, plus it's currently the only physical release available.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-30-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Cool package, that's the kind of thing that will keep people buying CDs. Too bad the disc itself doesn't seem very special (not a big fan of the band), should include a multi-channel sound mix or something.
Old 09-01-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t really care about Tool as a band but have to admit that is a pretty cool gimmick package.
Old 09-02-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I've largely stopped buying CDs. Moving boxes and boxes of them into a new apartment a couple of years ago sealed the deal. Spotify Premium is good enough for me now. I fill the gaps with mp3s I've bought or ripped.

Every year I make a Christmas mix for friends and family. It's fun to do and people seem to appreciate it. I've been making them since 1999. About 2 years ago I pretty much stopped burning CDs, steering everyone towards the Spotify playlist and downloadable mp3s. I'll still burn CDs for a handful of older family members and luddite friends. That's saved me a ton of work and shipping costs.

BTW I was just perusing American Eagle's site and they sell this hat. Oof. Having something you grew up with and was omnipresent for a great deal of your life turn "retro" makes you feel old.

Old 09-02-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t really care about Tool as a band but have to admit that is a pretty cool gimmick package.
I'm sure some people will enjoy displaying it. Personally, I find it to be much like their last packaging with the stereoscopic lenses; cool for a little while, and then never looked at again. I've got several of these kinds of releases from various bands, and today I have no use for them. It would be nice if bands would put the artwork and liner notes up online, so I could look through them while listening to a digital release.
Old 09-02-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I walked around Target for about an hour last night (shopping with the family) with the Tool disc in my hands. I bailed at checkout. Couldn't justify $40 for a single album.
Old 09-03-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I walked around Target for about an hour last night (shopping with the family) with the Tool disc in my hands. I bailed at checkout. Couldn't justify $40 for a single album.
think of the aftermarket price on ebay you would have got....
Old 09-04-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Tool is the only band I had a full collection for so I figured I'd may as well keep the collection complete. At this rate they'll have at most one more record.

It's definitely a cool package, I'm very curious what they'll do for the vinyl. The album was an improvement over their last one but it's still not the same band I loved back a couple decades ago.

CDs as collectibles sets (like this one) and concert freebies (+1 for every ticket) will keep the format alive for a while. I went a decade without buying/getting a CD and wound up buying Fear Inoculum and getting a free Vampire Weekend disc from the concert in the same month.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-04-19 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 11:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The 2016 Mazda 6 I just bought happened to have a CD player. I celebrated by ordering about 20 CDs on ebay for ~2.50 each.
Old 09-07-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The major labels are severely cutting production numbers on CD - many new CD releases sell out their first shipment within a week of release these days. Then it takes weeks for the CD to ever come back in stock. The labels are doing everything in their power to move customers over to streaming services, including cutting back on CD releases.

The new Creedeence Clearwater Woodstock CD, their first major new release in decades, has been more or less sold out on CD since release day. I had to import it from Europe because they were the only retailers with copies for weeks.

I'll give people here a little advice if they still can use CDs - go on eBay and check CD lot auctions. People are dumping their entire collections of CDs for pennies on the dollars. I just picked up 50 fairly decent Rock and Pop CDs for $22 shipped.
Old 09-07-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I just preordered this for $100, physical media all the way. Oh yeah, I probably won't wear the mask or hands...or I might.

Old 09-18-19, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will probably buy if it's something that I'm really into.

Actually, recently pre-ordered a CD since the singer is a fave of mine. Even own other related items of him such as posters, etc.

Might seem a bit juvenile for someone of my age but it makes me happy so what the hell
Old 09-19-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't generally fault someone for having their favorites, unless it boils over into obsession. I'm an unabashed Reznor fan, and will buy damn near any music or video he releases. I'll go to every concert that comes through my area, and have more NIN merchandise than any other band. That's about the end of my dedication though.
Old 09-19-19, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I don't generally fault someone for having their favorites, unless it boils over into obsession.
Being "obsessed" with a singer or band is fine by me.

If it makes one happy to collect everything by a specific artist, I say spend your time and money as you wish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.