Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Are you done purchasing CDs?
Yes
20.24%
No
45.24%
Occasionally if it's something I really want a physical copy of
34.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Old 08-19-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

There are even some major label releases that are puzzlingly out of print.
To take a random example, Tear for Fears' "Songs From the Big Chair" is oop, and while used copies are easy enough to find, new copies are pretty tough to find, and the deluxe 2-disc set that came out a few years ago is really tough to find. This is arguably one of the biggest albums of the '80s, and yet you can't really buy it. Sure, most of it's singles are available on compilation CDs, but the album itself is far more elusive than one might assume.
Old 08-19-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
There are even some major label releases that are puzzlingly out of print.
To take a random example, Tear for Fears' "Songs From the Big Chair" is oop, and while used copies are easy enough to find, new copies are pretty tough to find, and the deluxe 2-disc set that came out a few years ago is really tough to find. This is arguably one of the biggest albums of the '80s, and yet you can't really buy it. Sure, most of it's singles are available on compilation CDs, but the album itself is far more elusive than one might assume.
Weird. It seems readily available on a number of formats on amazon.ca

There is also one (new) copy of the two disc set, if you're looking for it.
Old 08-20-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Weird. It seems readily available on a number of formats on amazon.ca

There is also one (new) copy of the two disc set, if you're looking for it.
LOL @ "Canada".
I was looking at US & UK about a year ago.
I was able to nab a deluxe edition then, but it was used, and was one of very few that wasn't super expensive.
Old 08-20-19, 03:14 PM

I still buy new cd's by musicians I love as they are released.

I pick up used stuff that I'm interested in or looking for at flea markets and yard sales; mostly electronica/trip-hop/jazz and movie soundtracks and sometimes rock/pop that I'm looking for.

I still buy new vinyl by musicians I love as they are released

I pick up used vinyl at flea markets and yard sales for my collection.

I have a giant HD full of stuff I have ripped, but I love having a physical library of music that I can go through and listen to (or rip) when I want.

Viva la physical media.
Old 08-20-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two more coming today. My John Doe solo collection will be complete!
Old 08-21-19, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where's the best website for info on new CD releases?
Old 08-21-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever been to the Steve Hoffman music forums? Make sure you're wearing asbestos underwear before you go in, but they know their stuff.
Old 08-21-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's a great, and very active, forum but they do not suffer fools gladly, so don't go in there asking stupid questions (unlike here, where that's ok ) And for god's sake, don't say "vinyls".
Old 08-24-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
LOL @ "Canada".
I was looking at US & UK about a year ago.
I was able to nab a deluxe edition then, but it was used, and was one of very few that wasn't super expensive.
Don't knock it - Amazon.ca had the Band of Brothers DVD box set for pre-order back in the day for about the same price as the US box set... but since it was Canadian dollars, the set ended up costing me around $53 US, shipped. I also got Canadian copies of Trainspotting (for the deleted scenes) and Amélie (for the DTS soundtrack) for substantial discounts over the US versions.*
Old 08-24-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Don't knock it - Amazon.ca had the Band of Brothers DVD box set for pre-order back in the day for about the same price as the US box set... but since it was Canadian dollars, the set ended up costing me around $53 US, shipped. I also got Canadian copies of Trainspotting (for the deleted scenes) and Amélie (for the DTS soundtrack) for substantial discounts over the US versions.*
In a niche unrelated to dvd/bluray, I buy a lot of stuff from the canada amazon for the reason that the prices are typically over $100 brand new and stocked on the american or british amazon. Though on the canada amazon, these exact same items are frequently $20 or $30 a pop (or less) brand new and stocked by the canada amazon.
Old 08-24-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do CDs from amazon.ca have French slathered all over the packaging? Nothing against the French or French speaking people I just don't want it all over the packaging or in the booklets.
Old 08-24-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Do CDs from amazon.ca have French slathered all over the packaging? Nothing against the French or French speaking people I just don't want it all over the packaging or in the booklets.
DVDs, yes. CDs, no. At least not in my experience.

Old 08-24-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
That's not the main problem with canada versions of cds.

Avoid any cds manufactured at the former Disque Americ manufacturing plant. The quality control was absolute shit.

The shit quality might not be noticable on a standalone audio cd player. It is definitely noticable on a computer cd/dvd drive ripping such discs.

https://www.discogs.com/label/271397-Disque-Americ
Old 08-24-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
That's not the main problem with canada versions of cds.

Avoid any cds manufactured at the former Disque Americ manufacturing plant. The quality control was absolute shit.

The shit quality might not be noticable on a standalone audio cd player. It is definitely noticable on a computer cd/dvd drive ripping such discs.

https://www.discogs.com/label/271397-Disque-Americ
I've never heard this. Did you have a personal experience with this issue? If so, with which disc(s)?
Old 08-24-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I've never heard this. Did you have a personal experience with this issue? If so, with which disc(s)?
I have encountered this with some titles released in the late 1980s on cd by emi canada and some indie record labels. For perspective, the only Disque Americ manufactured disc I have which isn't a basketcase quality cd, is queensryche operation mindcrime.

It appears emi canada eventually moved on to their own cd disc manufacturing plant, where there's no issue with quality control. So most of these really horrible quality discs were from around 25-30+ years ago, before emi canada used their own plant.
Old 08-24-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the issue of emi canada, their cd titles released during 2002-2005 frequently had nasty extra drm like cactus data shield. It was the nasty strain which introduced deliberate bad sectors, which made ripping really difficult and slow on then-current computer cdr/dvdr drives. Functionally they were like discs which were "pre scratched" deliberately.

I don't know if the american emi used cactus data shield, but emi overseas in uk/europe and other places used cactus data sheild very extensively over 2002-2005.

In contrast, the nasty mediamax and xcp basketcase drm strains that BMG and Sony used on their cds over 2001-2005, is actually not as nasty when it comes to playback and ripping. The original cd audio data content was largely untouched. Most of the nastiness of mediamax and xcp was easily avoided, by turning off autoplay for the cdr/dvdr drive.

Eventually when Sony/BMG recalled all these nasty contaminated cds in late 2005, emi followed them too and re-released some of the previously contaminated titles as generic cds with no drm.
Old 08-25-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't bought a CD in I know, ten years or more. I don't even own a device to play them at home or in the car anymore.
Old 08-25-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When I started this topic about a month ago, I didn't think it would be this active. I didn't realize many here are still so passionate about CDs, unlike DVDs and BDs.
Old 08-25-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still like CDs for the car. I do have music on my iPhone for shuffling and podcasts but sometimes I miss the album experience and I’ll put the CD in to force myself not to “skip” any tracks.
Old 08-26-19, 09:26 AM

I'm still a big fan of physical media. The cover art on the cd is part of the experience for me. I never feel like I truly own my music especially with a streaming subscription. And the instant access to millions of songs has drained a lot of the excitement for releases. Long gone are the days when fans anxiously awaited the release of their band's newest album. You couldn't wait to unwrap it and listen to the entire thing. It doesn't feel the same anymore. Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I barely even noticed that they put out a new album.
Old 08-26-19, 10:03 AM

I always went to Hastings for their midnight releases of CDs and DVDs back in the old days. It was always lots of fun.
Old 08-26-19, 06:46 PM
Suspended

I still buy the odd cd. Mostly used ones from ebay.
Old 08-28-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone out there sell off their CDs and know a decent place to offload them or how to tell what out of print CDs are valuable? I have over 600 of them, maybe closer to 1000 and they have mainly sat in a box in my basement collecting dust for a few years as its all been ripped to digital ages ago...

Newbury comics and Bull-moose music are both relatively close to me but I dont want store credit if that is what the offer..
Old 08-28-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
how to tell what out of print CDs are valuable?
Very easy.

Check what prices they are fetching on amazon and ebay. The higher the asking price, the more rare and/or out-of-print and/or desirable a particular cd title is.
Old 08-28-19, 08:54 AM

Actually picked up a new release on Friday... then spent 5 minutes getting the security tape off the top as it came apart in 20+ pieces. Screw you UMG!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.