DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sirius XM streaming (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/648106-sirius-xm-streaming.html)

bralph 07-11-19 12:44 PM

Sirius XM streaming

Found out today that if you have an active SiriusXM car subscription, the streaming and mobile app service is now bundled for free. It's great for when you aren't in the car, and there are a lot of additional channels as well. Apparently you can also somehow feed into Pandora stations, but I don't really use Pandora so I haven't investigated that.

Meathead 07-11-19 02:23 PM

Re: Sirius XM streaming

Yeah they were running a special a week or two back on inactive radios $5/mo for a year. I already had the streaming only plan and called in to add the car promo. Ended up getting a credit on the streaming plan that will cover the promo for a year. Didn't understand why I was getting both for so cheap until they started advertising that streaming was now included.

SiriusXM bought Pandora. It looks like you can create stations now in the SiriusXM app just like you would in Pandora. I didn't see a way to transfer current stations from Pandora over... hopefully they'll add that at some point.

VHS? 07-11-19 08:21 PM

Wait....so how does this work? I have a car subscription.

DJariya 07-11-19 08:41 PM

I tried my car subscription log-in on the app and it doesn't work.

tonyc3742 07-11-19 09:52 PM

Got the email today and just set up my app. I used to have the streaming but didn't want to pay for it again, so I'm happy for this. Set it up on Alexa but haven't tried it yet.
I miss Cinemagic and Onederland, so I look forward to having access to those channels again, and browsing the 'xtra' channels (and catching the reruns of Dark Wave because I'm not usually in my car on Sunday nights.)
Now listening to a replay of Mojo Nixon's Loon in the Afternoon show.
I wonder if this means SXM is doing well or not doing well.

I preferred XM over Sirius, but I prefer SiriusXM over not having satellite radio.

printerati 07-11-19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13577108)
I tried my car subscription log-in on the app and it doesn't work.

You need to create a separate streaming login in the “manage my account” section on the SiriusXM web site. This will allow you to log in to the streaming app and/or tie it to a streaming device like an Echo, a Roku, etc.

It doesn’t appear to be available to all subscription levels, though. My wife and I have access to it with our “Select” plans, but my friend on the “Mostly Music” plan does not.

tonyc3742 07-11-19 10:06 PM

My email says it's specific to SiriusXM Select subscriptions.
I recall there used to be some annoyance with account vs streaming logins but I think they harmonized them. "

TheBigDave 07-12-19 12:10 AM

Don't pay full price for Sirius XM. If you call them (1-888-601-6302) and tell them the bill is too high and you can't afford it, they will offer you a discounted price.

The best deal is usually a 6-month promo. It sucks that you have to call every 6 months to reactivate the discount. But it's worth the savings. I just called them last week and got a 6-month renewal for $5/month. It ended up being $42 total (after taxes and fees).

They'll initially offer you a 12-month renewal for $99. Tell them you can't afford it right now. Say you recently got an email offering 6 Months for $30. Ask them if that offer is still available. They'll put you on hold for a few minutes, then come back and give you the discounted rate.

DaveWadding 07-12-19 12:16 AM

They literally just saved themselves a customer. I knew that they had an announcement coming roday and was waiting for this. Have had a Select plan for the car for a few years now, but just moved to work at home, so I'm not in the car anymore. This will do just fine since I can stream it through Alexa all the time now

bralph 07-12-19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 13577182)
Don't pay full price for Sirius XM. If you call them (1-888-601-6302) and tell them the bill is too high and you can't afford it, they will offer you a discounted price.

The best deal is usually a 6-month promo. It sucks that you have to call every 6 months to reactivate the discount. But it's worth the savings. I just called them last week and got a 6-month renewal for $5/month. It ended up being $42 total (after taxes and fees).

They'll initially offer you a 12-month renewal for $99. Tell them you can't afford it right now. Say you recently got an email offering 6 Months for $30. Ask them if that offer is still available. They'll put you on hold for a few minutes, then come back and give you the discounted rate.

Agreed. It's a bit of a hassle, but worth it. I have to put a calendar reminder to call, since it auto-renews at the regular rate if you don't call before. I've been on 6 months for $30 for forever.... They always try to give me a different deal, but I just say "no, I'll only do it for 6 for $30", and they eventually cave.

bralph 07-12-19 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 13577099)
Wait....so how does this work? I have a car subscription.

When I logged in to my account from a computer, it asked me if I wanted to update my access for streaming. It then took me right to that section to create the new login. As someone else said, it's a different login than what you use to manage your account, which is a little odd. I initially tried it from Chrome and Safari on my phone, but was having trouble getting it to work. Tried it from a PC, and was done in two minutes.

LorenzoL 07-14-19 06:38 AM

I'm guessing this is US only?

Meathead 04-01-20 08:35 AM

Sirius XM is offering the streaming app (not in car) for free thru May 15th. No credit card required it will just auto cancel at the end... probably followed up by a stream of renewal offer emails. ;)

Geofferson 04-01-20 11:38 AM

I use the app pretty much daily. I started with a similar promotion back in December and decided to keep it.

bralph 04-29-20 09:10 AM

Figured I would just put this here instead of starting a new thread. Prince radio will be back on XM starting May 1, and streaming through the app will continue to be free for non-subscribers through the end of May.

Geofferson 05-01-20 03:58 PM

To add, some other limited stations were also added in addition to Prince: David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, George Strait, Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica.

Eye Candy 05-02-20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 13716032)
Sirius XM is offering the streaming app (not in car) for free thru May 15th. No credit card required it will just auto cancel at the end... probably followed up by a stream of renewal offer emails. ;)

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 13733911)
To add, some other limited stations were also added in addition to Prince: David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, George Strait, Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica.

Now free no sign-up required for all of May 2020

SiriusXM has collaborated with acclaimed and iconic artists and their representatives to create personally curated audio experiences for listeners everywhere. The collection of exclusive music channels launching on Friday, May 1 — and in conjunction with SiriusXM’s extended Stream Free period through May — are dedicated to megastars David Bowie, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, George Strait, Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Prince, and The Rolling Stones. Click below to stream every channel now.

To make sure as many people as possible can hear these special audio experiences, SiriusXM is extending its unprecedented Stream Free offer through May 31. Stream Free gives free and easy access to SiriusXM’s full lineup of Premier Streaming content to any listener in North America on the SiriusXM app.

“It’s like catching lightning in a bottle for SiriusXM to be able to offer authorized channels from these iconic artists, not only to our subscribers, but at a time when our app is free to everyone,” said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer of SiriusXM. “These channels, combined with our already incredible set of artist-dedicated channels, makes SiriusXM the ultimate audio destination to bring fans closer to the artists they love, and at a time when people can use some great music.”

https://blog.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-l...conic-artists/

Meathead 12-15-23 05:20 AM

SiriusXM rolled out the new app/website yesterday. Another case of let's make it look pretty, functionality be damned. -rolleyes-

Maxflier 12-15-23 09:20 AM

Jesus, I can't even find a way to favorite a station on the website player. Nevermind that I already had favorites set but apparently they are gone now...

Meathead 12-15-23 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 14363355)
Jesus, I can't even find a way to favorite a station on the website player. Nevermind that I already had favorites set but apparently they are gone now...

Favorites are now jumbled under the Library tab. No way I've found to sort them back into a specific order.

Spiderbite 12-15-23 03:07 PM

Jesus. It looks like they tried to make it look like Spotify but worse.

Why the fuck would you do Favorites this way? It is what I use the most and they have now pushed them all into the library and smashed the shows together with the channels. It was perfect the way it was previously.

And scrolling through them is entirely too sensitive as I have removed several channels by accident just trying to scroll down through them.

Meathead 12-16-23 10:15 AM

If you go to the library tab and click on channels you get the jumbled list of just favorites. On the web player, it it doesn't hold that setting if you navigate away. Nor does it remember any other settings like volume level, tune start, etc. I tried to adjust tune start again but it won't even let me now.

Agreed, the old app was perfect and easy to use. Now wtf SiriusXM

emanon 12-18-23 08:15 AM

Holy shit this sucks. They took the 15 second forward/back skip away. I just took my headphones off to talk to someone, and then went to skip back a minute. Jumped back like four hours! :lol:

(this is on the webpage, which I use at work)

windom 12-18-23 10:31 AM

I'm definitely gonna hold off on updating to the new app until I hear some of these things are fixed. I really need the ability to organize favorites. Is it true that favorite channels and shows are just one list now? Did they take away the 15 second skip for downloaded shows too?

stingermck 12-18-23 10:34 AM

This hit my phone app, noticed it when I plugged into my car today. Ugh.