Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Visiting Graceland

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 03:23 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Visiting Graceland

Anyone ever been? Tips? Is it worth it? How long does it take?
Old 07-03-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Visiting Graceland

I was there a couple of months ago when I was in Memphis for business. I think it's one of those things worth seeing at least once for people with any interest in rock history and Elvis. It's a Disney-fied interpretation of Elvis' life to be sure (which ignores the 70s and anything negative that happened in Elvis' life). But I was glad I went.

I thought the tablet-enhanced self-guided tour of the mansion was well done. That takes about 1.5-2 hours. There's a whole museum, food, and gift complex on the other side of the street (which, if you're the type that likes taking time through museum exhibits will take another couple of hours). I'd recommend the "Elvis Experience" package (mansion plus museums). I don't think I'd recommend the "Elvis Entourage VIP" package though (which is what I bought). The VIP-only exhibit didn't have much, and since I went as soon as it opened up I don't think it saved me much line waiting (for the shuttle to the mansion).
Old 07-03-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Goin' to Graceland
We're goin' today!
I'm so happy I just can't wait!
Gonna see the place where Elvis Presley died

When we get to Graceland
We'll have to ride a bus
We'd better watch our language
Or the guards will beat us up
We'll get to make some cheap jokes
And buy cheaper souvenirs
If this were Disneyworld
I'd buy a pair of Elvis ears
They say it costs eight-fifty
Just to see his house
Where they keep all his records
And his fifteen foot long couch
It might seem like a rip-off
But I'm goin' anyway
We're goin' to Graceland today

Goin' to Graceland
It's gonna be great!
I'm so happy I just can't wait!
Gonna see the bucket that Elvis Presley kicked

Goin' to Graceland
It's gonna be fun
We'll get to see all Elvis's guns
Gonna tell us all about his favourite TV shows

Goin' to Graceland
We'll stand in line
We'll get to have a wild time
Gonna get to buy Love Me Tender Shampoo

When my time comes
That's how I wanna go -
Stoned and fat and wealthy
And sitting on the bowl
Lots of people say
That it's sad The King is gone
Well Elvis might be dead
But his cash flow lives on
I'll be so excited
When I see the Jungle Room
Where Elvis made some records
Including Moody Blue
Graceland is callin'
And I just can't stay away

Goin' to Graceland
We're gonna cut loose
There's plenty of tourists for us to use
Gonna act real stupid and try to pick up girls

Goin' to Graceland
We're gonna go wild
We'll go to his grave and try to smile
Gonna buy velvet paintings and Elvis Presley forks

Goin' to Graceland
We're goin' to Graceland (x3)

Goin' to Graceland
We're going to Hell
We're gonna sing Heartbreak Hotel
Gonna see the uniform that Elvis Presley wore

What are we waitin' for?
Let's leave right now
We're goin' to Graceland
And I don't care how
E Pluribus Elvis
That's what I say
Old 07-03-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I went a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I didn’t use the tablet though. Just went through at my own pace.
I also can’t recommend enough that you hit up the Stax Museum and Sun Records.
Beale Street was a joke though.
Old 07-03-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

In related news, Elvis Shop has their FTD CDs on sale this weekend. These almost never go on sale.

https://www.shopelvis.com/dept/ftd-m...mtemail_495196
Old 07-03-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

I was there this spring as well. It's very corporate and structured, but it's worth the pilgrimage at least once.

I didn't use the iPad, just flowed along at my own pace. You don't see a lot in the house, which is actually quite small. Two living rooms, kitchen, Jungle room, and two rooms downstairs. The place is so 1970s it hurts. Upstairs is off limits, but if you look directly up at the front door, that's the bathroom window. The grounds have several outbuildings with a good selection of memorabilia, and of course the final resting place of Elvis and his family. They still keep horses on the property as well. It's a very peaceful place.

The museums across the street are new. There's a car museum, an archives museum which is pretty extensive, an "influences" museum with donated outfits from performers who were influenced by Elvis, and the Experience museum with outfits, historical documents, instruments, and a huge wall of gold records. That alone is impressive.

Early in the day is probably your best bet. The Inn at Graceland is supposed to be nice, and offers shuttle service as well. I made the mistake in staying at the Days Inn across the street. Felt like the only thing missing was the crime scene tape.

I would also HIGHLY recommend the Sun Studios tour. It's much more intimate and "fun" oriented, with dynamic tour guides. It's amazing the place was preserved in it;s original condition for so long after Sun was sold and moved to Nashville. And don't forget to get some BBQ.
Old 07-03-19, 09:26 PM
Banned

Thanks. Anyone else?
Old 07-04-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I liked it. Don’t need to go again but it was cool to go once. I actually liked the whole VIP thing, they had some pretty cool clothes and cars. I also debated about it but ended doing the plane add-on (for like $5 each) and we both really liked the planes. Stayed at their hotel which wasn’t that exciting, but it was super convenient, and I went and watched a few minutes of Viva Las Vegas in their big theatre with lots of Elvis fans, so enjoyed that too. Also the late nigh5 eanit butter and banana sandwiches.

All in all, don’t need to go again, but glad I got to go once.
Old 07-04-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

We are planning on going next spring. I have always been a huge Elvis fan, so I have always wanted to visit it.
Old 07-04-19, 01:56 PM
Banned

Broader question:

For those familiar with the region which is the best city to visit for a day Memphis or Nashville.

We’re going on a road trip and need to cut one city.
Old 07-05-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Graceland, Sun, Stax.... Yes!

Beale... No. Although its worth seeing just to understand how overrated and shitty it is.

Gus' Fried Chicken. You gotta go.

Mud Island. If you have time and its not skeeter weather, which is generally all the time.
Old 07-05-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Broader question:

For those familiar with the region which is the best city to visit for a day Memphis or Nashville.

Cut Memphis then. Graceland is a seen-it-once-dont-need-to-see-it-again place and the rest of Memphis is a dump. I've only been to Nashville once but can tell you with confidence that if you're choosing between a day in Memphis or a day anywhere else, anywhere else wins.

Added:

Linky: https://reddit.com/r/funny/comments/..._if_this_isnt/
Old 07-05-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Broader question:

Take this with a grain of salt. I lived for a short time a little north of Memphis when I was the Navy. I've never been to Nashville.

I would go to Nashville.
Old 07-05-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nashville has become completely gentrified over the past 20 years or so. The town is losing its Southern roots by the day.
Old 07-05-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Go for a shit if you can. If you survive you'll be one up on Elvis.
Old 07-06-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
In related news, Elvis Shop has their FTD CDs on sale this weekend. These almost never go on sale.

https://www.shopelvis.com/dept/ftd-m...mtemail_495196
What does "FTD" stand for? Are these exclusives or only available this way? Just curious.
Old 07-06-19, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What does "FTD" stand for? Are these exclusives or only available this way? Just curious.
From Wikipedia:

FTD (Follow That Dream), Sony Music's Official Elvis Presley Collectors label, was established in 1999 to serve the dedicated Elvis collector and to complement the commercial and artistic level of RCA's retail release schedule by issuing repertoire that is considered of interest to serious Elvis fans and collectors, material that is generally not part of mainstream RCA label releases to the public at large. There are the original Collectors CDs with CDs ranging from soundboard-recorded concerts (recorded from the mixing desk in mono) to full RCA professionally-recorded concerts in stereo and CDs consisting of unreleased material from recording sessions, such as The Jungle Room Sessions, Memphis Sessions, etc. Later FTD introduced the Elvis Classic Album Series, releases of the original albums in deluxe 7" size packaging with a booklet and usually a second CD of outtakes from the same period as the recordings on the album. There is also the Movie Soundtrack Series, usually released as a single CD but again in deluxe 7" packaging with booklet.
Old 07-06-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
About 20 years ago, a small team tied to Sony supporting more Elvis releases started FTD. It's mostly a way for Sony to get studio outtakes and various live soundboards officially out to Elvis collectors. One of the few places you can buy them at retail is Graceland. Otherwise you have to order them through the mail. They've put out dozens of CDs for rare Elvis material.

FTD CDs are basically limited editions pressed in small batches. It's rare finding them below their retail cost because they stopped putting them on sale as the CD market has shrunk.

Old 07-07-19, 01:44 PM
Banned

Okay we are going, but in order to make this work with our itinerary it’s going to have to be a short stop. We’re doing 2 days in St. Louis and 2 days in Nashville, but Memphis and Graceland are going to be a pit stop in the middle of a six hour drive.

So what’s the fastest way to bang this out?

No one in the group is a HUGE Elvis fan so just the basics of the house and the grave would probably satisfy everybody. Also, father in law (who is the one who most wants to go) is an old guy who uses a scooter to get around. I imagine there are certain places he can’t get to. What’s the best tour for a handicapped guy? Also, he has handicapped plates so can we park real close?
Old 07-07-19, 02:05 PM
Banned

Also, to enliven conversation:

I rewatched Rattle and Hum last night. The U2 doc.

They visit graceland and it’s one of the film’s highlights.

Larry Mullen Jr confesses to being a genuine Elvis fan, and when he gets on that motorcycle he is like a 7 year old boy on Christmas. It’s magical. The whole sequence is.
Old 07-07-19, 02:27 PM
Banned

Regarding handicapped. Website says the shuttle can take your scooter, but the handicapped person needs to be able to get onto shuttle themselves.

Is this what the Graceland Shuttle looks like?

Old 07-07-19, 02:28 PM
Banned

I’m not sure the dude can get on that thing.
Old 07-08-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No idea, but Graceland likely sees many elderly visitors each year. It's not like young 20-somethings are rushing down to see where Elvis lived. Most of his biggest fans these days are in their 60s and 70s.
Old 07-09-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No idea, but Graceland likely sees many elderly visitors each year. It's not like young 20-somethings are rushing down to see where Elvis lived. Most of his biggest fans these days are in their 60s and 70s.
There are two-three steps going into the front door, and the house is, well, a house. It's built to the standards of the early 20th century, with narrow hallways steps going out of every door, etc. My mom (79) actually skipped the two basement rooms because of all the steps. The museums are completely accessible, but the house, not so much.

That said, the staff is extremely accommodating so I would imagine they could make something work for most physically challenged folks. If you have concerns, give them a call.
Old 07-17-19, 03:02 PM
Banned

Question: Did Spinal Tap really visit Graceland? It looks pretty convincing in the movie, they even go to the famous gate in the outtakes. Was it filmed there or was it a mock up? I can’t find confirmation online.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.