Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna - Madame X

Old 04-14-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Madonna - Madame X

She has new stuff coming out soon

Madame X

Madonna announced Sunday her long-awaited return to pop music, unveiling a mysterious Instagram video in which she confirmed Madame X as the name of her new album.The stylized clip sees Madonna using a typewriter while wearing elaborate costumes as she takes on Madame X‘s namesake persona, whom she describes as “a secret agent traveling around the world, changing identity, fighting for freedom, and bringing light to dark places.” A piano-driven song plays over the video, featuring the lyrics: “The thing that hurt the most was that I wasn’t lost.”

The pop icon’s forthcoming studio set will mark Madonna’s first full-length LP since the release of her 2015 album Rebel Heart, which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 ahead of an accompanying world tour that grossed nearly $170 million globally.

https://ew.com/music/2019/04/14/mado...usic-madame-x/

Old 04-24-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Madonna - Madame X

Her new video whichj premiered today.

17K dislikes at Youtube

Old 04-28-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

1. Medellin featuring Maluma
2. Dark Ballet
3. God Control
4. Future featuring Quavo
5. Batuka
6. Killers Who Are Partying
7. Crave featuring Swae Lee
8. Crazy
9. Come Alive
10. Extreme Occident (Bonus Track)
11. Faz Gostoso featuring Anitta
12. Bitch I'm Loca featuring Maluma
13. I Don't Search I Find
14. Looking For Mercy (Bonus Track)
15. I Rise

Madame X Deluxe 2CD (18 Tracks / Hardcover Book 32 pages)
Poster (double sided)
7-inch Picture Disc (I Rise)
Standard Cassette (13 Tracks)
Tattoo Sheet

https://shopuk.madonna.com/products/...-deluxe-boxset
Old 04-29-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

I liked her back in the day. Got about halfway thru the music video and turned it off. Don't get the eye patch thing, seemed lame and made her look even older. Maybe time to reinvent herself one more time and try retiring for good...
Old 04-29-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

I didn't even get 20 seconds in to the video... jumped to the middle to see if it improved (nope). Just terrible.
Old 04-29-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I liked her back in the day. Got about halfway thru the music video and turned it off. Don't get the eye patch thing, seemed lame and made her look even older. Maybe time to reinvent herself one more time and try retiring for good...
How about just doing a full on pop album without enlisting so many people to help? Every other song on this is featuring some singer I've never heard of.

Originally Posted by Meathead
I didn't even get 20 seconds in to the video... jumped to the middle to see if it improved (nope). Just terrible.
Yeah, it's a horrible song (and video). Can't believe this is the lead single. Sounds more like a B-side or album filler.
Old 04-29-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Arianna Grande video that came after the Madonna video was better than that song
Old 05-01-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Was the intro parodying herself or is it supposed to make her sound cool and tragic? The song itself, I agree, sounded like filler.
Old 05-02-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Millenials care about her and her music.
Old 05-02-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I don't think the Millenials care about her and her music.
They don't. She needs to stop trying to appeal to the current market and (again) just make another proper pop album.
Old 05-03-19, 08:51 AM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I have to be honest, I haven't actively listened to Madonna in a long time, but what's presented here in music, pictures, and video really feels like it's her being reactive and trying to ride coattails rather than be the cutting edge personality she used to be in her early days. That's something that can happen to any artist, I suppose, and it's something she needs to really consider for her next move.
Old 05-03-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I stopped watching as soon as she licked the guy's nasty toe.
Old 05-03-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

My first thought was that she was imitating Lady Gaga.

My second thought was that she'd made a business decision to appeal to the Latin market. Millions of potential customers who don't speak English live in this hemisphere.

I have a lot more respect for artists who continue to be creative than the ones who sing the same songs for thirty years. When I saw Bo Diddly in concert, he did a second half of calypso. Other members of the audience were mad that he didn't do a full show of bumbumbum-bah-bah, but I thought it was great. Madonna seems to be trying to split the difference between keeping her baby-boomer fans and doing something moderately new.
Old 05-03-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story
I have to be honest, I haven't actively listened to Madonna in a long time...
Same here. In fact, I was never a regular fan. I remembered hearing of her as a kid, but I never checked out her albums until within the last 5-10 years.
She's put out a LOT of good songs. True Blue, Into the Groove, Like a Prayer, and Crazy for You are just some of my favorite songs.

I'll have to check this album out and give her last couple albums a re-listen.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-03-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-04-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Madonna now claims she's being punished for turning 60. I guess the crap music she's been putting out has nothing to do with it. Somebody is full of themselves. I enjoyed her most of her music in the 80's and early 90's, but after that, she lost me.

https://news.sky.com/story/madonna-i...ng-60-11710956
Old 05-04-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Madonna now claims she's being punished for turning 60. I guess the crap music she's been putting out has nothing to do with it. Somebody is full of themselves. I enjoyed her most of her music in the 80's and early 90's, but after that, she lost me.

https://news.sky.com/story/madonna-i...ng-60-11710956
I thought this was the most interesting and important thing from the article:

In the interview, Madonna said she has not let her son David have a phone at the age of 13, like she did with his older siblings.

"I made a mistake when I gave my older children phones when they were 13," she said.

"It ended my relationship with them, really. Not completely, but it became a very, very big part of their lives. They became too inundated with imagery and started to compare themselves to other people, and that's really bad for self-growth."

​​​​​​
The rest of her claims of being silenced for the reasons she listed doesn't seem accurate. She was on top for the entire 80s and 90s, and still was putting out hits in the 2000s. I don't recall any efforts to "silence" her based on her looks or voice quality. I do remember she got into trouble for the sexual imagery she combined with Christian imagery for her "Like a Prayer" music video. And the Pepsi commercial that came from that was boycotted. Then she was accused of anti-semitism for the song "Justify My Love-The Beast Within Remix."

Maybe he ageist thing is accurate, but pop music is traditionally for a younger crowd, and they want to listen to people closer to their age, to experiences they can relate to. Is she just upset that she's not selling like she used to, or is it something else?
Old 05-04-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She is delusional thinking she can be more popular than Swift, Grande, Gomez, and the other queens of pop right now.

However she had the cool holograms at the Billboard Awards performance.

Old 06-15-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I seriously cannot believe how terrible this album is.. Unlistenable.
Old 06-16-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I seriously cannot believe how terrible this album is.. Unlistenable.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...0liL0hy1rqbm6c
Old 06-16-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's hard to believe this is just her 14th album. I thought she had released more albums than that. I agree, it's a hot mess.
Old 06-16-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
It's hard to believe this is just her 14th album. I thought she had released more albums than that. I agree, it's a hot mess.
Oh, but her fan boys sure are coming to it's defense everywhere online. She can do no wrong in their eyes. It sad and comical.
Old 06-16-19, 10:35 PM

Yup. Thing that shocked me is that it's running a stunningly decent Metacritic score of 72

Can't get my head around that at all
Old 06-17-19, 08:23 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

It's almost as if people might have different tastes in music
Old 06-17-19, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
It's almost as if people might have different tastes in music
Come on, that's an over-simplification and you know it. There is plenty of music that doesn't and probably never will appeal to me. But Madonna isn't that.

Using a movie metaphor, I like Tom Cruise action movies a lot. I might lose my mind with the last Mission Impossible flick or with Edge of Tomorrow. Now when I go see something like The Mummy or Knight & Day, I can objectively walk out and think to myself "That was shit" -- and usually the critics agree with me. Same for superhero flicks. I enjoy them and knew right away when I saw Batman v Superman or X-Men Apocalypse that they were bad films. Checking now, their Metacritic scores were 44 and 52 respecitively. That doesn't surprise me at all. If one of their scores were in the 70s, I would be surprised and confused by it.
If on the other hand a movie by Lars von Trier or Gaspar Noe gets a good score, well that's just the sort of weird movie that would have never appealed to me so I can just chalk up good reviews as something that might appeal to critics but not to me. There is a big difference.

Madame X is the Batman v Superman of technopop records.
Old 06-17-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I like it. I think it is her best album since Confessions On The Dance Floor. It isn't dance music at all and if I had to compare it to anything it reminds me of a more electronic Medulla by Bjork. I also don't get the complaints about Madonna vocoder on some songs. Radiohead process the hell out of Tom Yorke's vocals and every one jerks off to the latest Radiohehad release.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.