Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna - Madame X

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 11:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Madonna - Madame X

I'm far from being a Madonna fan; I've only casually listened to her music in the last 30+ years, hating a lot of it, liking some of it, but recently I came to two realizations:

1. Ray of Light is a goddamn great album. Holy shit. I hate that I dismissed it for 20 years because I didn't like the title track when it came out (and I was 16 or 17, so like... it was all on me trying to be cool for not liking Madonna)

2. I think Madame X is pretty darn good too. I could do without some of the autotune, but it doesn't bother me. I enjoy the varying styles on display here (and the Portual influence is quite apparent, but she lived there for years). On first listen, I did not like it, but felt compelled to listen again, and that's when I started to really dig a lot of it.

it reminds me of a more electronic Medulla by Bjork.
Yes! I thought of that album as well.
Old 06-18-19, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a big Madonna fan for a while now, and I think this album is definitely a grower. I think many people these days equate "different" with "bad", and I think that's a big part of the problem. Yes, ageism plays a big role in her lack of success these past few years. Even then, this album is on track to debut at #1 and shouldn't be seen as radically different from her past works. There are moments throughout the album that reminded me instantly of various past works of hers, and any true fan should pick up on it, if not instantly then relatively quick.

Madonna has lived in Portugal for a while now, and has drawn inspiration from her time there. She's made it known since she started work on the album that this was the case. Madame X is far from my favorite Madonna album, but I can definitely appreciate how it's so different compared to her other works, yet still has those familiar Madonna elements sprinkled throughout.
Old 06-18-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

MTV Live or channel 572 on Directv is playing the shit out of Medllin and it is part of the rotation of the videos they play so maybe people like it or Maluma has a big following.
Old 06-19-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Come on, that's an over-simplification and you know it. There is plenty of music that doesn't and probably never will appeal to me. But Madonna isn't that.

Using a movie metaphor, I like Tom Cruise action movies a lot. I might lose my mind with the last Mission Impossible flick or with Edge of Tomorrow. Now when I go see something like The Mummy or Knight & Day, I can objectively walk out and think to myself "That was shit" -- and usually the critics agree with me. Same for superhero flicks. I enjoy them and knew right away when I saw Batman v Superman or X-Men Apocalypse that they were bad films. Checking now, their Metacritic scores were 44 and 52 respecitively. That doesn't surprise me at all. If one of their scores were in the 70s, I would be surprised and confused by it.
If on the other hand a movie by Lars von Trier or Gaspar Noe gets a good score, well that's just the sort of weird movie that would have never appealed to me so I can just chalk up good reviews as something that might appeal to critics but not to me. There is a big difference.
Old 06-22-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Madonna is such a talented woman. I truly wish she would stop trying to make herself look this way. She's way too old to be wearing whatever the fuck that is in her mouth. She can barely talk with it. And can't even close her mouth all the way. It's just disturbing.

Old 06-26-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Her new single

She wants to attract that young audience with these duets

Old 06-26-19, 08:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Of course she does. She’s like 60. That sounded like a darn good song, but didn’t sound like her at all...
Old 06-27-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Just to show you how out of touch I am with today's music, I was shocked and stunned that this album hit #1 on the Billboard chart. So much for her "people don't like me because i'm old AF" argument.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...100-number-one
Old 06-27-19, 06:37 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Just to show you how out of touch I am with today's music, I was shocked and stunned that this album hit #1 on the Billboard chart. So much for her "people don't like me because i'm old AF" argument.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...100-number-one
95,000 is barely 10% of Taylor Swift or Adele type numbers. Also the CD was included with the ticket purchase of her upcoming tour, so that's probably half of those CD sales, maybe more.
Old 06-29-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
95,000 is barely 10% of Taylor Swift or Adele type numbers. Also the CD was included with the ticket purchase of her upcoming tour, so that's probably half of those CD sales, maybe more.
When did this become a thing or was it always? To give the album away with a promo and have it counted as sales?
Old 06-29-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
When did this become a thing or was it always? To give the album away with a promo and have it counted as sales?
I remember Jay-Z did something like that with Magna Carta Holy Grail. It came free for Samsung users and somehow that counted towards his Platinum sales.
Lady Gaga's Art Pop wasn't doing well so it was promoted as being only a $1 digitally early on, so she could save some face and still be seen as a top-selling artist.
I think Nicki Minaj and Travis Scott did something like that (promotional tour album bundles/redemption) for their last albums.

Old 06-29-19, 05:40 PM
Political Exile

yeah, Metallica got a huge boost in the charts by including their album in their stadium tour.

Here's a Billboard article I found about it
https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-kenny-chesney
Old 07-04-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dropped from #1 to #77 in it's second week on the Billboard albums chart.
Old 07-07-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Amazon Prime -

Madonna - World Of Madame X
23 min

Beautifully set in Lisbon, Portugal, Madonna describes the World of Madame X in this documentary about her recent album. She is joined by collaborators that were part of or inspired Madame X.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJMGQM2

This documentary will probably explain why you're supposed to like the album...
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-16-22)
Old 11-09-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Madonna starts Vegas show 2 hours late, fans demand refunds

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Madonna didn't get a warm welcome as she kicked off her Las Vegas engagement 2 hours late.

Madonna brought her intimate Madame X show to The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Thursday night, and fans report the singer didn't hit the stage until 12:30 a.m. when it was scheduled to start at 10:30 p.m.

Fans reportedly booed Madonna and chanted they wanted a refund when she took the stage. Madonna's late start wasn't the only thing that upset fans, but they took to social media and accused her of not performing her hits, talking too much and belittling her audience by even calling them "poor" at one point during the show.

It was so bad that Wonderwall.com reports a source told them more than 500 refunds were issued to fans who left before or walked out during the show.

Old 11-09-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

^^ and the show is already starting two hours later than originally scheduled. It was sold as starting at 8:30pm, then she moved all the times back to 10:30pm because she was starting late.
Old 11-10-19, 07:22 AM
Political Exile

The setlist has been the same since the tour started a couple months back and is easily found by Google. Starting much later than advertised has also been consistent, so I guess 500 people without internet were still surprised about it.
Old 11-10-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Prince did it back in 2004. He was one of the first if not the first to do it.
Old 11-11-19, 01:08 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 03-08-22, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think every album is a different persona and story and music with the pop thread Madonna brand. it's her most experimental. and that's ok.
does it need to be life-changing? no. but the second half of the album is quite good.
Old 03-16-22, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad since she might be one of those artists who could do a residency in Vegas and probably do well in ticket sales if she went that route.

Maybe women that are 63 should not be wearing stuff like this in public

Old 03-16-22, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want the cure for Insomnia

A remix of a old song?

Old 03-17-22, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Too bad since she might be one of those artists who could do a residency in Vegas and probably do well in ticket sales if she went that route.

Maybe women that are 63 should not be wearing stuff like this in public

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If you want the cure for Insomnia

A remix of a old song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKRdL1N9os
What a mess. She looks like Pete Burns fucked Kim Kardashian and this was their output. Her desperation to remain relevant with a younger audience is just sad at this point. And pathetic. Where is her dignity?
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-17-22)
Old 04-05-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

What in the world did Madonna do to herself? Yikes!

Spoiler:

Madonna's 'unsettling' pre-Grammy TikTok sparks fan concern (nypost.com)
Old 04-05-22, 10:17 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

She always did shit for publicity. She’s always been a fame whore. When she looked good, she literally whored herself out. Now that the looks and body are gone, she has to lower herself to this. Music was always the last thing people talked about when it came to her. So for 40 years , unfortunately this is all she knows to get her name out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.