Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2019

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2019

OMG I had the Satriani Cassette back in High School! I'm old.....
Old 10-09-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
OMG I had the Satriani Cassette back in High School! I'm old.....
Heh, me too.

I didn't notice the Venom picture disc, that one would be a bit tempting. I'm curious about the Sid Vicious album, but am concerned that most of the live recordings will sound like ass.

Old 10-09-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Sid was a better singer than Johnny Rotten. Just sayin'...
Old 10-09-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

There’s some stuff that interests me, but realistically I don’t see myself listening to them enough to justify the price, so will probably just stream them. Mainly talking about Across the Stars, Vitamin Quartet doing Nightmare Before Christmas, and the Miles Davis and Bill Evans albums. I’m absolutely getting Phish’s Story of the Ghost repress though, along with GarciaLive1 and the Claypool album.
Old 10-09-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Heh, me too.

I didn't notice the Venom picture disc, that one would be a bit tempting. I'm curious about the Sid Vicious album, but am concerned that most of the live recordings will sound like ass.
That's not a picture of the Venom picture disc from the actual record I posted; it's one I grabbed from another website. There isn't an image of the disc on the RSD site, but it says it's going to be a reproduction of the 1984 disc.

I'm generally leery of these "live" albums that get released on RSD. They ain't cheap, and I question if they're sourced from decent quality recordings from the soundboard, or if they're basically just bootlegs. Especially for the more obscure stuff or recordings that have been sitting on a shelf for three decades.
Old 10-10-19, 09:17 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Luckily only four releases for me. The two Alice Coopers, Patsy and Lou.
Old 10-10-19, 10:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Patsy looks real good, that may be tough to get, Runaways in Japan look good as well... maybe the Bill Evans...
Old 10-10-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Sid was a better singer than Johnny Rotten. Just sayin'...
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's not a picture of the Venom picture disc from the actual record I posted; it's one I grabbed from another website. There isn't an image of the disc on the RSD site, but it says it's going to be a reproduction of the 1984 disc.

I'm generally leery of these "live" albums that get released on RSD. They ain't cheap, and I question if they're sourced from decent quality recordings from the soundboard, or if they're basically just bootlegs. Especially for the more obscure stuff or recordings that have been sitting on a shelf for three decades.
The listing on Discogs for the original 1984 picture disc looks to be the same as the one you posted, I'm assuming the new version should look very similar. Originals are currently selling for $45+ on Discogs, wonder what the new one will go for.

I agree with you on the live RSD releases, a lot seem to be bootleg quality. I have the original "Sid Sings" CD, which contains some of the live material on this new set, and it doesn't sound pretty, not surprisingly, but in this case a lot of that is due to the actual performances as well.

Old 10-10-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Meh... only thing I want is the Dio release. Lets just hope it's actually released.
Last RSD "Last in Line Live" was supposed to be released and it wasn't until like a month or so later and then I never found it.
Old 10-10-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I know what you mean, but I was pleasantly surprised that the live Ramones record I just got (which was previously a RSD title) sounds great. Different songs than It's Alive; between the two live recordings, every song from the debut album is rendered.

I remember seeing a live Ritchie Valens record in a used store and grabbed it. Only $10. But yeah, if you wanna talk "poorly sourced", this isn't from a soundboard. If there even was a soundboard. It's a reel-to-reel from somewhere in the room. But there's a very small amount of Valens' recordings period, so it's still worth it. On it, he changes the lyrics of "C'mon Let's Go", a habit he had which was depicted in the 1987 La Bamba bio-pic.
Old 10-10-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I’d like to get Pearl Jam: MTV Unplugged. The last Record Store Day release eventually went up on their website so this one might too.