Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Albums Bought (2019)

Old 03-28-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Albums Bought (2019)

​​​​​Toto: The Essential Toto- bought more as a gift than for myself but might make a digital copy.
Old 03-28-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I - Between Two Worlds

Traditional metal album recorded by a "super group" of Norwegian black metal musicians. A solid little metal album from 2006 that flew completely under my radar until last year, now it's one of my favorites. Out of print, so vinyl prices are high, and CD prices are on the high side too, but I managed to find a Ukrainian release CD on ebay for cheap (hopefully legit, according to Discogs it is).

Old 03-28-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Picked up Behemoth's "The Satanist" on CD, because the vinyl prices for this one are kind of crazy right now. Great album!

This and I Loved You At Your Darkest just arrived on CD.
Old 03-28-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
This and I Loved You At Your Darkest just arrived on CD.
Nice! I recently discovered the band with their newest album and am now working my way back through their catalog. I didn't really pay much attention before because I'm more of a black metal guy and I thought Behemoth was more death metal, but they seem to be more "blackened death metal" and I like it just fine. I really like the variety from song to song and even within songs, albums that mostly have the same tempo, guitar sound, etc. kind of bore me, but these guys are the opposite of that, so the albums always hold my interest. And their music videos are awesome if sometimes disturbing.
Old 03-29-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ghost Light - Best Kept Secrets

What’s the damn secret to posting images? Using [img]… doesn’t work.
Old 03-29-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Ghost Light - Best Kept Secrets

Whatís the damn secret to posting images? Using [img]Ö doesnít work.
When posting, if you click the little photo icon at the top, to the left of the smiley face, you can upload images to your post. That's what I've been doing at least.
Old 03-29-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I still haven't had a chance to listen to the two albums that came in the mail yesterday, and I have another one coming tomorrow. I went almost the first 3 months of the year without buying an album, and now I'm inundated!
Old 03-29-19, 04:07 PM

Would like to hear your thoughts on the Chai album. It's getting a lot of buzz on my usual sources, but I've never heard them.
Old 03-29-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-30-19, 02:28 PM

Old 03-31-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Would like to hear your thoughts on the Chai album. It's getting a lot of buzz on my usual sources, but I've never heard them.
I've listened to the album twice so far -- once on our way to a show last night, and again this morning. My wife is head over heels in love with it (to the point where I'm not sure I'll be allowed to take the CD out of her car ). I like it alright, but I can't really relate to the effusive praise it's been lavished with everywhere. I gravitate more towards the '80s-styled pop (hearing a lot of Tom Tom Club in particular), like:

...and I'm a sucker for the thunderous bass guitar prevalent throughout much of the album. My wife loves the entire thing, start to finish, and her favorite is one of the bigger, boomier numbers:

Old 03-31-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome, those first three Venom albums are great. I've been meaning to check out Amon Amarth at one point, I've heard good things about them.
Old 03-31-19, 04:58 PM

Awesome, those first three Venom albums are great. I've been meaning to check out Amon Amarth at one point, I've heard good things about them.
I love the Venom albums. As far as Amon Amarth goes those two albums above are so amazing that they made me have to reconsider my top 10 favorite artists list. I haven't been this excited about discovering a band since when I was 10 and I first heard Iron Maiden. They have a new album coming May 3 too.
Old 04-01-19, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I've listened to the album twice so far -- once on our way to a show last night, and again this morning. My wife is head over heels in love with it (to the point where I'm not sure I'll be allowed to take the CD out of her car ). I like it alright, but I can't really relate to the effusive praise it's been lavished with everywhere. I gravitate more towards the '80s-styled pop (hearing a lot of Tom Tom Club in particular), like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-aKOc5nN2c

...and I'm a sucker for the thunderous bass guitar prevalent throughout much of the album. My wife loves the entire thing, start to finish, and her favorite is one of the bigger, boomier numbers:

https://youtu.be/YnQ437F0Chk
Neither song does much for me, and I like bubbly female-fronted bands. Japanese ones, too. Not sure if I'm in a big rush to get this record anymore.
Old 04-01-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah. Itís more an album I donít mind rather than one I actively like. Iím a sucker for female-fronted pop, including several other Japanese acts (Scandal, Silent Siren, Yumemiru Adolescence), but Iím not bowled over by this one. Could grow on me, though. On the upside, at least my wife loves it, so itís not wasted money!
Old 04-01-19, 03:58 PM

For Japanese artists, I was always partial to The Brilliant Green, and the solo work of lead singer Tomoko Kawase. She has two alter-egos, the super sweet Tommy February, and the hard rocking Tommy Heavenly. I prefer the latter.

I also really like Puffy (aka Puffy AmiYumi in the US). Some of their 2000s work has a real bite to it, particularly the amazing 2007 album Honeycreeper. For a band that is marketed (at least in the US) to kids, it was really a change of pace seeing the video for Kuchibiru Motion, where the duo tries on lingerie in a sleazy motel room. The song kicks ass too.
Old 04-01-19, 05:19 PM

Old 04-03-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Misfits! Those are both great compilations.

I love the Venom albums. As far as Amon Amarth goes those two albums above are so amazing that they made me have to reconsider my top 10 favorite artists list. I haven't been this excited about discovering a band since when I was 10 and I first heard Iron Maiden. They have a new album coming May 3 too.
I've heard of them but have yet to listen to them, but I'll definitely check them out on Spotify. Is there any particular album that's a good place to start?
Old 04-03-19, 11:10 AM

I've heard of them but have yet to listen to them, but I'll definitely check them out on Spotify. Is there any particular album that's a good place to start?
Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, At War With Satan are the first three and are fantastic. I would say they sound like early Motorhead meets the first two Slayer albums.
Old 04-03-19, 01:02 PM

For me, The Misfits are Walk Among Us, then a handful of decent songs spread across a few records.
Old 04-03-19, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
For me, The Misfits are Walk Among Us, then a handful of decent songs spread across a few records.
I like everything the Danzig led Misfits put out. I used to own the coffin box set but lost it in a robbery years ago. It goes for ridiculous amounts on ebay if you can even find one so I just decided to get the single discs. I think Spook City USA is the only song from the box set not anywhere else.
Old 04-03-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, At War With Satan are the first three and are fantastic. I would say they sound like early Motorhead meets the first two Slayer albums.
Actually I meant Amon Amarth. I've been listening to Venom since the 80's and am very familiar with their work.

I like everything the Danzig led Misfits put out. I used to own the coffin box set but lost it in a robbery years ago. It goes for ridiculous amounts on ebay if you can even find one so I just decided to get the single discs. I think Spook City USA is the only song from the box set not anywhere else.
I like all the original Misfits stuff too. I still have my coffin box but it got a bit beat up over the past 20 years. Those little, fragile CD cases didn't help, although they do look cool. And I think you are correct, Spook City USA was the only unheard song in the box set, but there are a bunch of alternate takes of familiar songs as well, it's a great set! Now if only the Samhain stuff was back in print, I have most of those albums on CD or vinyl but I missed picking up the Samhain box set but don't want to pay current going prices of $150 plus for it.
Old 04-03-19, 05:02 PM

Actually I meant Amon Amarth. I've been listening to Venom since the 80's and am very familiar with their work.
Ah, my mistake. I would start with Twilight Of The Thunder God for Amon Amarth. It is the album that seemed to put them on the map with most people. I have it and the three after and think they are great. The earlier stuff is a little rougher in the production but Amon Amarth are kind of like Motorhead, AC/DC and Slayer where you know what you are going to get every time.
Old 04-03-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I'll check that album out first.

I'm currently playing my I "Between Two Worlds" CD. Damn it's good, I wish Abbath went more in this direction musically when he went solo. Then again, the songs from his debut solo release were originally meant for Immortal, I'm hoping his upcoming second album might stray more from black metal (I love that genre but Abbath can write some great standard metal riffs, I'd like to hear more of that).

Last edited by cultshock; 04-03-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek: The Next Generation- Music From the Original TV Soundtrack Encounter At Farpoint

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.