Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Albums Bought (2019)

Old 02-07-19, 09:34 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,670
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

I just picked up Al Kooper's Rare & Well Done set, which had been out of print for many years until recently. It mixes unissued and rare songs with his greatest hits.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 08:10 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,394
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Kiss - Kissworld: The Best of Kiss
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter V
Now 69
EdTheRipper is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:27 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,394
Re: Albums Bought (2019)



stvn1974 is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 07:05 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,234
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Got Bowie: Legacy in today on vinyl.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 08:52 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,148
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Black Sabbath - Sabotage on 180 gram vinyl. Sabbath always sounded too thin to me on CD and I was never happy with those releases (on the Warner Bros. CDs at least), but they sound nice thick, chunky and heavy on vinyl.
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 01:12 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,712
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Over the weekend I stopped at Standards: A Record Store in north county San Diego. It's kinda out of my way so I don't get there too often. But if you're ever in the area, I suggest a visit. It's well worth it. While there, the guys behind the counter were having a conversation where they ridiculed the "Paisley Underground" sound of Los Angeles in the 80s (The Three O'Clock, et al). I was gonna pipe up, as I'm a fan of several bands from that scene, until one of the guys started mocking them with a made-up song, and I had to admit the made-up lyrics really did sound like they could come from one of those bands so I just stayed silent. Anyway, I got these titles:





Last one is a bargain-bin gamble on an 80s Power Pop band (although it does feature Thomas Newman, Randy's brother, who's now a film composer). That's been a hit-or-miss strategy for me. I hit on a little gem of a band last year called Four out of Five Doctors (whose biggest claim to fame was appearing in the 80's slasher House on Sorority Road), missed on another band who I can't even remember their name, but the whole album was about high school girls, getting them to sneak out of their houses, etc, but the guys in the band were long past high school age. I mean, I know it was an attempt to sound "hip" to their intended audience, but now it comes off as just creepy as all hell.
Paff is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 04:58 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ultimaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,584
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

ultimaton is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 12:16 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,436
Re: Albums Bought (2019)



bunkaroo is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 03:05 PM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 156
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Got Bowie: Legacy in today on vinyl.
I ordered this vinyl from Amazon yesterday. Price was too good to pass
panchor is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 06:20 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,394
Re: Albums Bought (2019)







stvn1974 is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 02:32 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 457
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by panchor View Post


I ordered this vinyl from Amazon yesterday. Price was too good to pass
This made me take a look, and yeah, gotta pull the trigger on that! I'm already ordering the breakout vinyls from Loving the Alien so it'll be a nice Bowie delivery early next week.
dave94 is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 09:01 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,148
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post






Cool. That reminds me that I need to dig up my vinyl of Whitesnake's S/T that I bought new in 1987, clean it and slap it on the turntable. That was a good album.
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-18-19, 01:42 PM
  #38  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,064
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post



Last one is a bargain-bin gamble on an 80s Power Pop band (although it does feature Thomas Newman, Randy's brother, who's now a film composer). That's been a hit-or-miss strategy for me. I hit on a little gem of a band last year called Four out of Five Doctors (whose biggest claim to fame was appearing in the 80's slasher House on Sorority Road), missed on another band who I can't even remember their name, but the whole album was about high school girls, getting them to sneak out of their houses, etc, but the guys in the band were long past high school age. I mean, I know it was an attempt to sound "hip" to their intended audience, but now it comes off as just creepy as all hell.
I make bargain bin gambles all the time. The amount of random stuff that's out there it's virtually impossible to track. These guys were one and done I think - only song I've heard is Hold My Hand which isn't half bad. I don't think I've ever seen this album in the wild though.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 02-18-19, 02:00 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,148
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

I went to a couple of actual B&M stores yesterday and picked up the recent double album release of GNR's Appetite for Destruction and Slayer's Reign in Blood on vinyl. Both sound great!
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 02:23 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,234
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Picked up Dylan and the Dead vinyl a couple of days ago, and have the new Mandolin Orange vinyl on the way. Also grabbed a bunch of old Irish Trad on vinyl (Bothy Band, Planxty, Boys of the Lough, De Danann, Kevin Burke, and a couple of others).

Finally, I’ve got the first 8 volumes of the 7” Grateful Dead series on the way, and have subscribed to get volumes 9-12 throughout the year.
https://store.dead.net/7-singles-col...-8-bundle.html

I might need a Grateful Dead vinyl intervention at the rate I’m going. Hopefully I’ll be able to snag the Cornell set before the intervention happens. ��

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 02-20-19 at 02:28 AM.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:21 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,712
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I make bargain bin gambles all the time. The amount of random stuff that's out there it's virtually impossible to track. These guys were one and done I think - only song I've heard is Hold My Hand which isn't half bad. I don't think I've ever seen this album in the wild though.
Yeah, turns out there's a reason they were "one and done" as you say. It's not a terrible album, but it's just so...generic. I popped in the Jack Lee album after listening to The Innocents, and could immediately tell why one of them is still revered in the power-pop world, and one resides in bargain bins.
Paff is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 04:03 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,394
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Been on a hair metal kick lately.

Cinderella - Night Songs
Cinderella - Long Cold WInter
RATT - Out Of The Cellar
RATT - Invasion Of Your Privacy
RATT - Dancin' Undercover
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 04:18 PM
  #43  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,064
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yeah, turns out there's a reason they were "one and done" as you say. It's not a terrible album, but it's just so...generic. I popped in the Jack Lee album after listening to The Innocents, and could immediately tell why one of them is still revered in the power-pop world, and one resides in bargain bins.
BTW, I have to hand it to you. I checked out 4 Out of 5 Doctors the other day based on your post (had never heard of them before). As luck would have it, my local record store had their 2nd album for $4. Needless to say, I picked up. It's pretty damn good.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 05:35 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,148
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Been on a hair metal kick lately.

Cinderella - Night Songs
Cinderella - Long Cold WInter
RATT - Out Of The Cellar
RATT - Invasion Of Your Privacy
RATT - Dancin' Undercover
Nice! I still have my original vinyl of Night Songs somewhere, I need to find that and give it a spin. Probably haven't listened to it in 30 years! (not the album itself, just my vinyl copy of it)


cultshock is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 07:02 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,712
Re: Albums Bought (2019)

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
BTW, I have to hand it to you. I checked out 4 Out of 5 Doctors the other day based on your post (had never heard of them before). As luck would have it, my local record store had their 2nd album for $4. Needless to say, I picked up. It's pretty damn good.
Wow, that's great to hear. I actually need to get that second record. According to Wikipedia, most of the songs are similar in style to "I Want Her" from the first record, and that is by far the best song on that album. So an entire record that sounds like that must be really fun.
Paff is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.