DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Newbie turntable help needed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/645999-newbie-turntable-help-needed.html)

cultshock 11-30-18 08:14 PM

Newbie turntable help needed

Hey guys, before I throw myself at the mercy of the Steve Hoffman forums I thought I'd ask here first. I bought a U-turn Orbit turntable last month and it was working great but now I'm starting to have issues with it. When I cue the needle on the record, it often wants to go backwards instead of in the right direction and I need to reset it, and the last track on a side is starting to skip a bit. I'm guessing it has something to do with the anti-skating setting? So do I need to adjust that, and which way, I need to add more weight I think? The turntable came calibrated, but I'm thinking it must be off now. I believe there is something I can get that shows how much weight is involved, so I can accurately adjust the arm? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Why So Blu? 11-30-18 09:28 PM

Re: Newbie turntable help needed

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13453496)
Hey guys, before I throw myself at the mercy of the Steve Hoffman forums I thought I'd ask here first. I bought a U-turn Orbit turntable last month and it was working great but now I'm starting to have issues with it. When I cue the needle on the record, it often wants to go backwards instead of in the right direction and I need to reset it, and the last track on a side is starting to skip a bit. I'm guessing it has something to do with the anti-skating setting? So do I need to adjust that, and which way, I need to add more weight I think? The turntable came calibrated, but I'm thinking it must be off now. I believe there is something I can get that shows how much weight is involved, so I can accurately adjust the arm? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Send them an email. I have one of their turntables - I spent about $400 for it - they have great service, so they should help you out in terms of calibration. My U-Turn is ony 1.5 years old now.

Also, make sure you dust the top of the case and its surroundings. Get a can of compressed air and sweep that dust out of the way.

cultshock 11-30-18 09:49 PM

Thanks man, I was thinking I would try that next. :up: Yeah, mine was 300 and change (needed to add the pre-amp and cue lever to my order) but from what I had read it was the best bang for my buck. And I do try to be careful about dust, I have a can of compressed air and a brush for my vinyl.

Why So Blu? 11-30-18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13453533)
Thanks man, I was thinking I would try that next. :up: Yeah, mine was 300 and change (needed to add the pre-amp and cue lever to my order) but from what I had read it was the best bang for my buck. And I do try to be careful about dust, I have a can of compressed air and a brush for my vinyl.

I got a RED but I bought the pre-amp separately. It's phenomenal. I paid about $70 for the pre-amp and I attached it to my Onkyo 705.

andicus 12-01-18 12:07 AM

That definitely sounds like an anti-skate issue.

Assuming adjustment is available, your turntable should have instructions. Often there will be an anti-skate scale which matches the tracking force of your cartridge.

I also wouldn't be hesitant to ask at the SH forums. They're generally a helpful bunch.

For tracking force, I just use a cheap stylus force gauge. I'm sure there are better ones, but mine has sufficed.

so it goes 12-01-18 07:01 AM

I agree with emailing u-turn, I have a few times and they have always been great. They are quick to respond and helpful!

Chrisedge 12-01-18 01:27 PM

I bought this a while back...

But they make cheaper digital ones too.

cultshock 12-02-18 10:58 AM

Thanks guys, I'll be emailing them this weekend, everyone says that U-turn Audio has great customer service so we shall see. :) And thanks for the info about the gauges, I knew that someone could measure this but I didn't know what they were called.

cultshock 12-02-18 02:45 PM

In the meantime I went on their website and learned how to do adjustments, I adjusted the VTF a bit to increase it and bam, the problems stopped. I'm still going to buy a gauge to make sure I didn't increase the VTF too much (don't want to ruin my records!) but I believe I found the issue, thanks for everyone's help!

mphtrilogy 12-02-18 04:55 PM

Glad u got it to work, u-turn does indeed have great ret customer service..

Josh-da-man 12-02-18 06:40 PM

The Orbit looks sharp, but I’m not a fan of the external belt drive. It looks like it could be problemeatic, but at least it would be easy to change.

I’m guessing that, in order to go from 33 to 45 that you actually have to slip the belt onto a different gear?

andicus 12-02-18 07:44 PM

^That's how it is on my Rega, and I have to say it annoys me more than I had expected. It takes no time to do, but it's not as convenient as a button or lever.

Chrisedge 12-02-18 08:40 PM

Yea, I don't mind the belt, I do miss the automatic return more than anything else with my Orbit Special (the Walnut model)...

andicus 12-03-18 12:23 AM

Good point. My Rega is also manual, and it's a pain that you can't just let a side finish without having to get up.

cultshock 12-03-18 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13454357)
The Orbit looks sharp, but I’m not a fan of the external belt drive. It looks like it could be problemeatic, but at least it would be easy to change.

I’m guessing that, in order to go from 33 to 45 that you actually have to slip the belt onto a different gear?

Correct, you need to move the belt to a different groove on the motor spindle to change the speed and it is a bit of a PITA. I guess the big thing with belt drive turntables is that there isn't a chance of motor noise making its way into the sound of the music.

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 13454411)
Yea, I don't mind the belt, I do miss the automatic return more than anything else with my Orbit Special (the Walnut model)...

Yeah, I do miss that as well, but I guess I can live with it.

Dan 12-03-18 02:35 PM

UTurn Orbit is a solid player. Good choice :up:

My only 'thing' lately is that I try to remove the belt when it's not in use. I found that, after extended periods of time of not using it, it developed a bit of a "bend" in it, so when using it again, there was a tiny but noticeable (to me) 'dip' in the RPM speed until the bend worked itself out (usually after a few minutes of play... which isn't a big deal at all, honestly...)
It was especially noticeable when I left it in the 45 RPM groove for too long, not in use.

edit: and yeah, check that tracking force with a meter, just to be safe. You're not putting coins on there, so at least you have that going for you! ;)

cultshock 12-03-18 03:56 PM

Heh, coins, I remember those days. :lol:

Interesting about the belt, but I had a hell of a time putting the damn thing on when I first got the turntable, so I really don't want to go through that again until it eventually needs to be replaced.

I'm ordering a meter today, don't want to risk ruining any records.

Dan 12-03-18 04:20 PM

^ I may be the only one with that belt problem, honestly. I don't know. It's just something that irks me when I turn it on after not using it for awhile.

And honestly, installing the belt DOES get easier after you've done it 100 times :lol:

so it goes 12-04-18 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13454863)
^ I may be the only one with that belt problem, honestly. I don't know. It's just something that irks me when I turn it on after not using it for awhile.

And honestly, installing the belt DOES get easier after you've done it 100 times :lol:

My belt did that once too. I was also pretty bad at switching speeds and stretched the belt a little so I replaced it. Gotten better at that and have been using it pretty much everyday and haven't noticed another kink form.

parrotheads4 11-29-20 06:21 PM

I could use some advice. I have a Dual 604 with a Sure stylus. I hadn’t used it in a few years, but decided to add it to my office. After setting it up I notice the left channel is quite a bit louder than the right channel. I pulled the whole thing apart twice, checked all connections, added additional grounding, but only got a minor improvement. My amp is a tube amp without balance control. Other devices play fine.
Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Paff 11-29-20 06:30 PM

What's the cart?

I had a Shure M97xe, and it kept losing the right channel. Apparently that was a defect on later versions of that cartridge. I replaced it with an Ortofon 2M Red, which I love. No right channel drops, and it sounds incredible.

Other things to check out: headshell wires and cartridge alignment. I don't have time to go into it here, but if you Google those things, you'll find plenty of info.

parrotheads4 11-29-20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13850523)
What's the cart?

I had a Shure M97xe, and it kept losing the right channel. Apparently that was a defect on later versions of that cartridge. I replaced it with an Ortofon 2M Red, which I love. No right channel drops, and it sounds incredible.

Other things to check out: headshell wires and cartridge alignment. I don't have time to go into it here, but if you Google those things, you'll find plenty of info.

thanks for the quick response. I did google all of those things. I lost 3 hours of my life LOL.
I have the Sam Sure cartridge. Not cheap. I was really hoping it was something else.
thanks again.

Paff 11-29-20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 (Post 13850525)
I have the Sam Sure cartridge. Not cheap. I was really hoping it was something else.

If that's what it is, it did you a favor; that Shure sure sounded like shit even when it worked. I noticed a massive improvement with the Ortofon Red. $99 on Amazon, and worth every penny.

parrotheads4 11-29-20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13850523)
What's the cart?

I just checked to make sure it was that Sure. It is.
Thanks for the recommendation. Give me week, and I’ll let you know how I make out.

cultshock 11-30-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13850531)
I noticed a massive improvement with the Ortofon Red. $99 on Amazon, and worth every penny.

My U-turn Orbit is still working well but I've been thinking of upgrading the cart (it currently has an Audio-Technica AT91B that came standard with this turntable). Is the Ortofon Red one of the better ones in that price range? (I could have upgraded my unit with that cart for an extra $75 when I first bought it, maybe I should have). I'm kind of nervous about properly installing a new cart though.