DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Record Store Day Black Friday (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/645868-record-store-day-black-friday.html)

Tom Banjo 11-18-18 07:12 AM

Record Store Day Black Friday

Anyone gonne try to hit this up?
Full list is here:
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

If I can make to a participating store I’ve made a list of records I’m interested in. My list:
John Coltrane - Selections from Both Sides at Once
Phish - Slip Stitch & Pass
Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Almost Acoustic
DMB - Live 4/22/93
Weezer - Africa
Ella Fitzgerald - Ella at the Shrine

Chrisedge 11-18-18 02:50 PM

Re: Record Store Day Black Friday

U2 and Garbage (With John Doe and Exene) are musts for me...anything else would be a bonus...

PhantomStranger 11-18-18 03:00 PM

Since they stopped really including any unique CDs for RSD, I can now avoid this day.

Josh-da-man 11-18-18 08:19 PM

Some cool stuff on the list, but anything I want will go fast and mostly end up in the hands of scalpers. :mad:

bluetoast 11-18-18 08:54 PM

How does RSD usually go down store to store? Each place receives random stuff, or do people know what’s where if they call ahead?

Tom Banjo 11-19-18 03:03 AM

My local record store guy said some stuff like the DMB set only made 1000 copies and he couldn’t get any.
Some of the others 5000 were made so most places will get those. Phish and Garcia are my top 2, anything else will be a bonus.

MBoyd 11-19-18 06:35 AM

i haven’t done black friday RSD in the last two years. I may go this time and try to get the Bauhaus release that’s part of the reissue series going on.

Geofferson 11-19-18 07:33 AM

Only interested in The Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo legacy edition. That and maybe the Hank Williams early recordings 7".

PhantomStranger 11-19-18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13446305)
How does RSD usually go down store to store? Each place receives random stuff, or do people know what’s where if they call ahead?

Each store orders what they want but since the items are limited, many stores get less than they ordered.

It leads to hot items getting scooped up within minutes of opening.

Paff 11-20-18 10:42 AM

I'll probably hit up some record stores this weekend, and if that Cheap Trick LP is there, I'll get it. But I ain't waking up early for it...

Ravenous 11-21-18 10:52 AM

Typo O Negative: Bloody Kisses and Sidexside

Guns N Roses 7"

MUST HAVE

Josh-da-man 11-21-18 09:26 PM

Yeah, I’d like to have that GNR 7”, but even at 7000 copies that will be impossible to score.

Chrisedge 11-23-18 12:22 PM

I got U2, Garbage (w/ John Doe/Exene), Madonna and Talking Heads. Someone said the TH had some issues and wasn't readily available at a lot of stores...

Geofferson 11-23-18 12:36 PM

Picked up the following

The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Hank Williams 7"
GNR 7"
Collective Soul debut

bluetoast 11-23-18 04:43 PM

Picked up U2’s Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and that’s it. Was about to get the McCartney single but wasn’t interested. Saw a ton of stuff other than those (Fritz the Cat, Africa, Rage). Got last year’s Let’s Dance single for $10 as well.

Paff 11-23-18 05:49 PM

I did get that Cheap Trick 2LP. $40 was a bit much, but that's all I ended up getting.

Tom Banjo 11-23-18 07:57 PM

I ended up getting:
Grateful Dead -Playing in the Band
Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Almost Acoustic
Phish - Slip Stitch & Pass
DMB Live 2/11/94

Kimda wish I’d picked up the Rage Against the Machine live album but was already at my spending limit.

Chrisedge 11-24-18 06:49 PM

I went back today and grabbed the Germs and Violent Femmes...

islandclaws 11-24-18 08:31 PM

Woke up at 5am, went to local store, waited for 5 min to get in, bought both Type O Negative releases, went back home.

The triple LP is incredible.

Paff 11-24-18 10:59 PM

And this is why you GO to Record Store Day instead of just perusing the listings.

I stopped in at another RSD-participating store tonight, just to dig through what they had left. And there was a copy of "3x4", that is on the list. Unfortunately, unless you click on it, you wouldn't know what the hell it was! So I ignored it.

Turns out, it's 4 bands from the "Paisley Underground" scene of Los Angeles. The Bangles, The Three O'Clock, The Dream Syndicate, and Rain Parade. Each doing a song from the other three bands. Hence the title. I absolutely cannot wait to hear The Bangles doing "Jet Fighter"

mphtrilogy 11-26-18 12:39 PM

Went today and grabbed the b52's Cosmic Thing, which is all I wanted, one copy left.. these RSD are very pricey.. saving up for the one in April though, planning on a $200 budget for that one...

Paff 11-26-18 12:56 PM

Yeah, I try to make my RSD purchases the one-offs, and not re-issues. That helps justify the insane prices.

Two of my favorite past RSD buys were Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan (the entire concert 2xLP, the regular release that everyone knows and loves was actually edited down to a single LP) and the collection of Bangles' demos and live performances from their early pre-major label years.

Ravenous 11-28-18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13448277)
Yeah, I’d like to have that GNR 7”, but even at 7000 copies that will be impossible to score.

Were you able to grab it?

I snagged GnR 7", Type O 7" annnddddd

BLOODY KISSES!!! So damn happy, apparently this release is already fetching $100+ on ebay

Why So Blu? 11-28-18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 13452018)
Were you able to grab it?

I snagged GnR 7", Type O 7" annnddddd

BLOODY KISSES!!! So damn happy, apparently this release is already fetching $100+ on ebay

Looks like it's available for pre-order from Amazon UK for less than $40 shipped.

I think I'm going that route.

flansered 11-29-18 11:06 AM

That release comes with an 8 page booklet and an art print? Seems like a better deal than the RSD release, which was just green vinyl.