DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 Nominees (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/645462-rock-roll-hall-fame-2019-nominees.html)

dex14 10-09-18 07:15 AM

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 Nominees

The long list of 2019 nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has arrived. Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Janet Jackson, the Cure, Kraftwerk, MC5, Rufus & Chaka Khan, LL Cool J, and the Zombies have been nominated once again this year. Devo, Roxy Music, Stevie Nicks, Todd Rundgren, John Prine, and Def Leppard have all been nominated for the first time. Fans can vote for their favorite nominees at the Rock Hall’s website. The 2019 class of inductees will be revealed in December.

No artists eligible for the first time this year were nominated. OutKast, Beck, Fugees, Jeff Buckley, the Roots, Snoop Dogg, and Dave Matthews Band are among the artists in their first year of contention (meaning their first commercial records were released in 1993). Previous nominees omitted from this year’s list include Kate Bush, Nine Inch Nails, the Smiths, the Replacements, Depeche Mode, Bad Brains, Eric B. & Rakim, Jane’s Addiction, Eurythmics, and Gram Parsons.

Before they were nominated last year, Radiohead gave an interview where they discussed their disinterest in a potential Rock Hall induction. “I don’t care,” said Jonny Greenwood. “Maybe it’s a cultural thing that I really don’t understand. I mean, from the outside it looks like... it’s quite a self-regarding profession anyway. And anything that heightens that just makes me feel even more uncomfortable.” While Thom Yorke, Philip Selway, and Ed O’Brien also sounded apathetic, Colin Greenwood said, “I’d be grateful if we got in.”

The 2018 class of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees included Nina Simone, Dire Straits, Bon Jovi, the Cars, the Moody Blues, and early influence Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Simone got a tribute from the Roots and Lauryn Hill; Alabama Shakes’ Brittany Howard paid tribute to Tharpe.
https://pitchfork.com/news/rock-and-...ocial_facebook

Decker 10-09-18 08:32 AM

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 Nominees

Really surprised that Beck didn't make the ballot in his first year. He is the type of artist that would seem to check all the boxes.

Can't see how Radiohead doesn't get in. As always, pulling for The Cure. It amazes me that none of the great post-punk bands are in yet, and I think The Cure is easily the best of the bunch. Rage should make it as well.

I hope they don't induct Janet Jackson. I get why they'd put in a Michael or Madonna as they were very influential, but Janet is just pure pop. She's put out some good records but she's far from Rock and Roll.

B5Erik 10-09-18 09:06 AM

No Judas Priest, no Iron Maiden, no Ronnie James Dio?

What a joke.

inri222 10-09-18 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13422469)
As always, pulling for The Cure. It amazes me that none of the great post-punk bands are in yet, and I think The Cure is easily the best of the bunch.

And still no Joy Division.

dvd-4-life 10-09-18 09:34 AM

How many albums have Emerson Lake & Palmer and Three Dog Night have sold?

What artists or groups have sold the most albums and aren't in the HoF?

Decker 10-09-18 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13422504)
What artists or groups have sold the most albums and aren't in the HoF?

Sinatra 150 million albums sold.

Hokeyboy 10-09-18 11:39 AM

My wife has her 9mm pointed at my head so HOORAY DEF LEPPARD!! YAAAAAY!

cultshock 10-09-18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13422486)

What a joke.

Welcome to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. :lol:

PhantomStranger 10-09-18 01:47 PM

Gram Parsons isn't already in?!

When you go through recent Hall of Fame classes over the past decade, you realize each year is pretty much rigged to cover a wide range of age and racial demos. They will put in one 60s group, an 80s act, etc.

http://doblu.com/2018/09/21/the-rock...oncert-encore/

The performances at the induction ceremonies are so-so but the intro speeches are usually fun.

Jason 10-09-18 04:02 PM

The winners will be

Radiohead
the Cure
LL Cool J
Stevie Nicks
Def Leppard

Decker 10-09-18 04:59 PM

Stevie Nicks did not do nearly enough as a solo artist to warrant a second HoF induction. I would be very disappointed if she was selected. Otherwise, I'd be okay with that list (though I think Df Leppard is too lightweight to be inducted on their first ballot). I think Kraftwerks has been a finalist so many times that they're going to get in just out of acquiescence.

hdnmickey 10-09-18 05:25 PM

My list would be:

Radiohead
The Cure
LL Cool J
Janet Jackson
Def Leppard

All worthy selections. My only issue with these continues to be that is I believe they should at least attempt to get the far more deserving bands in that have been waiting before inducting groups like Radiohead. But as posted above, this Hall is kind of a joke at this pint anyway. Not sure I would even bother visiting if I was in the area.

dvd-4-life 10-09-18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13422836)
Stevie Nicks did not do nearly enough as a solo artist to warrant a second HoF induction. I would be very disappointed if she was selected. Otherwise, I'd be okay with that list (though I think Df Leppard is too lightweight to be inducted on their first ballot). I think Kraftwerks has been a finalist so many times that they're going to get in just out of acquiescence.

That's how I felt about Ringo Starr.

Sure,should be in as a Beatle,but as a solo act,not a HoF performer.

MooMooMooMoo 10-09-18 11:05 PM

Meh. I will vote for Roxy Music, & maybe Nicks.

Hazel Motes 10-10-18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13422486)
No Judas Priest, no Iron Maiden, no Ronnie James Dio, no Slayer? no Motorhead?

What a joke.

fixed.

jpcamb 10-10-18 08:06 AM

I'd be surprised if Stevie Nicks got in on her own.

Paff 10-10-18 10:20 AM

Absolutely needs to be more heavy metal in the HoF, and I friggin' hate heavy metal. But it's a long lasting, viable genre of rock. That's why I don't have a problem with hip-hop and rap getting in (music that I also hate). Rock and roll has always encompassed various styles (it's openly acknowledged that its birth was the melding of country with rhythm & blues), too many people have the opinion that "rock and roll" = "hard rock", when that is merely a subset. So yes, rappers and pop artists like Janet Jackson belong right next to Deep Purple and Buddy Holly. But yeah, where the fuck are The Smiths?

Decker 10-10-18 10:23 AM

It's almost funny : The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche Mode are on a rotating schedule where one is a finalist every year and none gets in. That had better change this year.

DaveNinja 10-10-18 11:35 AM

Devo is the most important band on the list

PhantomStranger 10-10-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13422836)

She's practically guaranteed of being inducted this year despite a very so-so solo career. The Rock Hall is a shamelessly-run commercial venture and the press is making a big deal that she'll become the first woman inducted twice into the Rock HOF.

Stars like Eric Clapton have actually been inducted three times.

cultshock 10-10-18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13423150)
It's almost funny : The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche Mode are on a rotating schedule where one is a finalist every year and none gets in. That had better change this year.

Yep, all three of these bands should be in. And yeah, more metal!

rw2516 10-11-18 07:49 AM

Now that they are inducting songs/singles, I wonder if they'll use that as a backdoor way to get bands in.

Instead of inducting Steppenwolf, they'll induct "Born To Be Wild"
Instead of inducting T Rex, they induct "Bang a Gong"
Instead of inducting Guess Who, they induct "American Woman"
etc., etc.

Nick Danger 10-13-18 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13423147)
Absolutely needs to be more heavy metal in the HoF, and I friggin' hate heavy metal. But it's a long lasting, viable genre of rock. That's why I don't have a problem with hip-hop and rap getting in (music that I also hate). Rock and roll has always encompassed various styles (it's openly acknowledged that its birth was the melding of country with rhythm & blues), too many people have the opinion that "rock and roll" = "hard rock", when that is merely a subset. So yes, rappers and pop artists like Janet Jackson belong right next to Deep Purple and Buddy Holly. But yeah, where the fuck are The Smiths?

That's a really good argument. I don't know much about heavy metal, but the important metal bands certainly need to be in the RRHOF.

They aren't going to induct Kraftwerk, are they. :(

hdnmickey 10-13-18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13423670)
Now that they are inducting songs/singles, I wonder if they'll use that as a backdoor way to get bands in.

Instead of inducting Steppenwolf, they'll induct "Born To Be Wild"
Instead of inducting T Rex, they induct "Bang a Gong"
Instead of inducting Guess Who, they induct "American Woman"
etc., etc.

And Autobahn by Kraftwerk.

Decker 10-13-18 11:50 AM

This is their FIFTH year nominated. I think that they get in, especially with no Nirvana or Pearl Jam-like "Slam Dunks" taking up a spot this year (though I think Radiohead is close to one).