Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Eagles’ ‘Greatest Hits’ Overtakes Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ as Best-Selling Album.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Eagles’ ‘Greatest Hits’ Overtakes Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ as Best-Selling Album.

Old 08-22-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Eagles’ ‘Greatest Hits’ Overtakes Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ as Best-Selling Al

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
That's the thing, just because you like all or most of a bands songs - doesn't mean that others do. As many great albums and songs Queen or the Eagles have, there are plenty of people who only care about a few songs on each album.
I admit I am a hypocrite and bought the Eddie Grant Greatest Hits album from Itunes but not his regular albums

I think those albums are hard to find or OOP.

Old 08-23-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Eagles’ ‘Greatest Hits’ Overtakes Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ as Best-Selling Al

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
They only care about them because they heard them on the radio. It has nothing to do with the quality of the music itself.
Song on radio - good
Song not on radio - bad

It makes sense for the majority of pop. Most of the albums have some hits, the rest filler.
Rock music is more consistent and even throughout the album. There is really no difference between the known/hit songs and rest.

Maybe it's just me. I just can't find reason to liking "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" but not liking the rest of Moving Pictures. Only difference is two were played on the radio and the others not.
Or liking "Walk This Way" and "Sweet Emotion" but not the rest of Toys In The Attic.

"There's only 10 AC/DC songs I like" WTF?????

Don't like AC/DC. Get it.
Like AC/DC. Get it.
Only like AC/DC songs on radio. Don't get it.
I'm really not seeing what's so hard to get.

I never listen to the radio, and only listen to albums... and there are plenty of rock albums that I only like a few songs from. Using your example of Rush's Moving Pictures album - I like the first 4 songs (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Limelight) but don't care for the last 3 songs.

AC/DC was another example. Back when I enjoyed their music, owned some of their regular albums and saw them twice in concert, I only liked a handful of songs on each album. Couldn't get into all their songs.
Old 08-23-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it ironic that AC/DC was used as an example given how many albums from the Brian Johnson era I find to be made up of filler. Most of the better songs on those albums are the ones you hear on the radio. If there was ever a "Best Of" album that is waiting to be created it's the AC/DC output from 1981-2014.

And given I'm only a casual Eagles fan, I personally have this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ve..._(Eagles_album)

IMO it's one of the better collections ever produced. Includes all the hits and worthy album tracks.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-23-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
What Lebowski did to the Eagles reputation is nothing considering what Michael Jackson did to Michael Jackson's reputation.
Old 08-23-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
MJ made a hell of a mark during his time, but the music hasn’t held up. I can still listen to the Eagles and I will till my dying day.
Maybe post-Thriller, yeah.

But Billie Jean, Beat It, plus the majority of Off the Wall are always good.
Old 08-26-18, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

MJ made a hell of a mark during his time, but the music hasn’t held up. I can still listen to the Eagles and I will till my dying day.

And I hate Lebowski for what it did to their reputation.
Everybody hated the Eagles long before Liebowski. That’s why the joke was written. We’re so burned out of their shit here in California.
Old 08-26-18, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

The only Best Of... that’s a single.

I kid. I kid.
Old 09-13-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I hate Lebowski for what it did to their reputation.
Thriller is still a great album (and I am not a MJ fan).

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Everybody hated the Eagles long before Liebowski. That’s why the joke was written. We’re so burned out of their shit here in California.
Exactly. That line verbalized what I already thought. I don't think Lebowski did anything to their reputation, as evidenced by these sales. It merely made very public how a lot of us feel about the fucking Eagles, man.
Old 09-13-18, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Fuckin-a, man!
Old 09-13-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eddy Grant was with a UK group back in the late 1960's that also were one hit wonder's.

Can't think of the song or group.
Old 09-13-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Eddy Grant was with a UK group back in the late 1960's that also were one hit wonder's.

Can't think of the song or group.
It was The Equals with this song: