DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Thompson Twins/Tom Bailey (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/644877-thompson-twins-tom-bailey.html)

Daytripper 08-08-18 09:10 PM

The Thompson Twins/Tom Bailey

The Thompson Twins were always an 80's favorite of mine. Nothing heavy or deep, just a fun pop band. Lead singer Tom Bailey has been riding the 80's nostalgia concert circuit these past few years, and the positive audience response inspired him to do a solo album. I saw an online interview with him recently and he said this was the first pop music he's recorded since the Thompson Twins disbanded in 1991. After that, it was those two Babble albums and film music work here and there. I've given the new album a proper listen twice now. Overall it's mostly "meh". But these are two stand outs. "What Kind of World" being the best and actually sounding like classic Thompson Twins IMO. His voice sounds exactly the way it did 35 years ago too.

microdvd 08-11-18 08:18 PM

Re: The Thompson Twins/Tom Bailey

I'm going to have to disagree with you.
This is the best work that Tom Bailey has ever produced.
There is not a single bad song on the entire album.
I've seen him live on his current tour and the show was quite frankly amazing.
If you're a fan of the Thompson Twins, there is no doubt in my mind that you should add this album to your collection. I've listened to it every day since it's release.

Daytripper 08-12-18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by microdvd (Post 13388180)
I'm going to have to disagree with you.
This is the best work that Tom Bailey has ever produced.
There is not a single bad song on the entire album.
I've seen him live on his current tour and the show was quite frankly amazing.
If you're a fan of the Thompson Twins, there is no doubt in my mind that you should add this album to your collection. I've listened to it every day since it's release.

I'm probably one of the biggest Thompson Twins fans out there. And Tom Bailey. But there is no way this solo album is the best thing he has ever produced. Are you telling me that this is better than "Into the Gap", "Here's to Future Days", "Big Trash" and "Queer"? He produced all of those too. And there are one or two songs on this album that are really mediocre. "Science Fiction" being one of them.

Ky-Fi 08-16-18 07:57 PM

I'll have to give this whole album a listen.

I liked the Thompson Twins well enough, although I definitely preferred the earlier synth-pop stuff like "Lies" and "Love On Your Side." I saw Tom Bailey on one of the Retro Futura tours a couple years ago, and he sounded great.

Paff 10-22-18 05:08 PM

Resurrecting this thread to get some Thompson Twins recommendations.

I actually saw them live in 1984, on the Into the Gap tour. Full disclosure, I only went because I was heavily into Berlin, the opening act. Couldn't care less about the Twins. Yet I had to admit, I enjoyed their show anyway. "You Take Me Up" was clearly the highlight of the set.

Anyway, I bought Into the Gap a while ago from a vinyl bargain bin. Still dig it, and the production is really clean. I've been looking for more records, yet every time I go into a used record store, that's seemingly the only LP out there, and I know they released a lot more. So yeah, any suggestions?

Daytripper 10-22-18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13430454)

I actually saw them live in 1984, on the Into the Gap tour. Full disclosure, I only went because I was heavily into Berlin, the opening act. Couldn't care less about the Twins. Yet I had to admit, I enjoyed their show anyway. "You Take Me Up" was clearly the highlight of the set.

Anyway, I bought Into the Gap a while ago from a vinyl bargain bin. Still dig it, and the production is really clean. I've been looking for more records, yet every time I go into a used record store, that's seemingly the only LP out there, and I know they released a lot more. So yeah, any suggestions?

Indeed they have. Merry Christmas.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...vinyl&_sacat=0

Paff 10-23-18 12:45 AM

Thanks, Yoda. Yes, I'm aware of an internet marketplace for used goods called E-bay. I was looking for suggestions about Thompson Twins records, something along the lines of "Get the first three studio records, but stop when they do the full version of 'Jazz Odyssey'"

Daytripper 10-23-18 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13430697)
Thanks, Yoda. Yes, I'm aware of an internet marketplace for used goods called E-bay. I was looking for suggestions about Thompson Twins records, something along the lines of "Get the first three studio records, but stop when they do the full version of 'Jazz Odyssey'"

My response was actually a genuine one. You said you were looking for more records and I pointed out where you could find everything they've done. Studio albums and 12" singles. I can't help you with walk in used record stores. But thanks for the smart ass follow-up.

hdnmickey 10-23-18 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13430454)

My personal favorite albums are Into the Gap and Here's to Future Days. But honestly, when upgrading to CD's over the years I only ever picked up their Greatest Hits and have been good with it. It's one of the better collections out there. Covers all their essentials.

Paff 10-23-18 10:18 AM

Yeah, I'll admit I wasn't exactly clear in my request for TT recommendations. It does look like I was looking for a source for them and not specific suggestions on actual albums. I just figured E-bay is an obvious source, except it's a blind buy vs. a record store (where you can check out the record, even give it a test listen at most stores), so I was more looking for which records I should be seeking out.

That said, I did order Side Kicks (the US release) off of Reverb LP, we'll see if I want to add more albums to my collection later.

dvd-4-life 10-23-18 12:09 PM

They want 100 dollars for TT GH LP(new) at Amazon.

Don't know if that's original or reissue.

Paff 10-23-18 12:27 PM

That's original. It's a 1990 release, and that's that "grey area" for vinyl, when a lot fewer copies were pressed as CD was starting to be the preferred physical media.

Daytripper 10-23-18 09:20 PM

"Quick Step & Side Kick" (just "Side Kicks" in the U.S) was always my favorite. You couldn't find it on CD anywhere in the 90's, so I had to buy it on import. Worth every penny. But will admit "Into the Gap" is probably their best album. "Here's to Future Days" had some great singles, but wasn't that great overall. And I think the U.K. 12" of "Lay Your Hands on Me" was better than the U.S. single. I've been trying to include the YouTube link for that. But when I post, it says "Unavailable". I don't know what's going on with that, but please check it out on YouTube. "Close to the Bone" is hands down the Twins worst album. "Big Trash" was a huge improvement with some really great tracks. And "Queer" was underappreciated swan song. Back to early Thompson Twins, this is a B-side that L.A.'s KROQ had in heavy rotation back in the day.

Alan Smithee 10-24-18 01:14 AM

Their earlier pre-Arista albums are brilliant- that was when they had seven members. The best tracks from the two of them were compiled on the Arista album "In the Name of Love" and they're now available complete on a 2-CD set.

Very early track:

Paff 10-24-18 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13431183)
And I think the U.K. 12" of "Lay Your Hands on Me" was better than the U.S. single.

I almost never buy singles, unless I'm a real completist for the band and want the B-sides. I also don't get into "extended re-mixes"

That said, the single you mention is here for the asking, should I choose to go that route: https://lp.reverb.com/listings/10966429/listings

Daytripper 10-24-18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 13431259)
Their earlier pre-Arista albums are brilliant- that was when they had seven members.

Thomas Dolby played keyboards on three tracks.

Alan Smithee 10-28-18 07:15 AM

^ Yep, big fan of his. He was credited as "Tom Dolby" on those.

Paff 11-20-18 08:55 PM

Update.

First of all, my purchase of Side Kicks was a non-starter, as the seller claimed it was an erroneous listing on ReverbLP. At least I got my money back. So that's still on my to-buy list.

Next, I finally found some LPs at a record shop that were not Into the Gap. Future Days and In the Name of Love. Haven't had a chance to spin Future Days yet, but I just gave In the Name of Love a listen, and, WOW. It was not what I was expecting at all, past the title track. Really raw and unpolished, nothing at all like the radio-friendly stuff I heard starting around 1984. And that's a good thing. I was reminded of XTC and Echo and the Bunnymen on certain tracks, even a little Gang of Four if you can believe that. I'll be listening to this a lot in the coming weeks, digesting it all. I already prefer this to anything else I've ever heard from the band. Side Kicks (or Quick Step and Side Kicks, should I choose to go import) is on my short list again.

mickey65 11-20-18 11:03 PM

Sidekicks is my favorite album of theirs and I also like the dance mix version of their single "Sugar Daddy"

Daytripper 11-21-18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13447708)
Sidekicks is my favorite album of theirs and I also like the dance mix version of their single "Sugar Daddy"

"Sugar Daddy" is a great track. The album AND dance mix version. Here is the 12" of "Lay Your Hands".

Also, please go sample "Queer" on You Tube. It's a great album.