Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What became of pop musicians?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What became of pop musicians?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: What became of pop musicians?

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I was a kid/preteen of the late-70s and 80s.

I would agree Michael Jackson and Madonna's stuff has so far stood the test of time.

Other "pop music" stuff from my youth which I felt also stood the test of time, could be stuff like Duran Duran or the Bee Gees.
Funny you should mention them. The one other song I remember liking from the '80s was their theme song for the 1985 Bond movie, A VIEW TO A KILL.
Old 08-04-18, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just wanted to point out that Pet Sounds, generally regarded as one of the greatest pop albums of all time, was essentially one guy (Brian Wilson) and session musicians, with the rest of The Beach Boys contributing vocals.

Last edited by Groucho; 08-04-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah I'm an 80's kid and the bulk of 80's pop music is dreadful. I think that's just the nature of the genre. Pop music follows trends and trends don't last.
Much of the 80s relied on now-dated sounding production techniques like gated drums and synths for everything. Much like disco before it, New Wave didn't really have a lasting impact on Pop music culture and largely disappeared once that generation got older.

Guns 'N Roses may be one of the few 80s acts that had a more timeless sound because it was guitar-driven music.
Old 08-04-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

I think Taylor Swift still writes her own songs and she can play the guitar.
Old 08-04-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Even worse is bands like Nickelback still playing large stadiums/arenas.
Maybe but they have not had a hit probably since the Bush administration.
Old 08-04-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't think record labels employ the army of A&R people like they used to. The industry has gone back to being pop star and personality driven. Besides, the barrier to entry is so low now that pretty much anyone can make a decent recording without a big studio. Coupled with instant access to soundcloud, CD Baby, and even iTunes, smaller artists are just striking out on their own, hoping to "go viral" somehow and break through that way.
Old 08-04-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
When Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, 21 Pilots and Fall Out Boy are your most popular rock bands, you are looking at a dying art form.
Eh, I don't recall ever hearing that rock and roll will never die.

Well, yeah, actually I do, but I think you get the point.
Old 08-04-18, 08:48 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Taylor Swift writes and plays her own songs. She gets dismissed by adults a lot but she's talented.
Old 08-05-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe but they have not had a hit probably since the Bush administration.
Hits and radio play have nothing to do with popularity of rock music. It's some kind of underground, counter culture, word of mouth thing. Word just gets around in the right circles and thousands of people show up for artists that have never been on the radio.
How did Jethro Tull and Emerson Lake and Palmer have top ten albums? How did Blue Oyster Cult pack arenas?
Bowie wasn't known to the masses until 1976. Good luck trying to get a ticket to big arena 1974 tour. Who were these people?
99% of people never heard of Frampton until the live album. Who are these thousands of people at the concert who know all the songs?
Led Zeppelin was a one hit wonder.

It happened two ways.
1. Somebody would blind buy an album and then play it for their friends. "Check out this album called Ziggy Stardust. It's pretty good man." Then the friends would buy it. They would play it for more people.
A guy with an 8-Track player in his car would pick up a hitch-hiker. The hitcher would asks, "That tape's pretty good. Who is it?". The driver would reply, "Some guys called Nazareth. They rock man."

2. People would discover artists as warm up bands. "Deep Purple rocked dude!".
"Yeah. And those guys called Aerosmith weren't bad either"

Look at the very first Black Sabbath album. A debut so nobody had heard of them. Zero play on the radio. Yet the album charted at #23 on the Billboard chart and sold a million copies. Word got around.

Stacey Kelso and a his buddies are drinking beers and listening to an album by some new guys called Judas Priest.
His younger brother Mike overhears the music and thinks it rocks.
Mike Kelso swipes the album and takes it over to Foreman's house.
Kelso, Eric, Hyde, FES, Donna and Jackie get stoned and listen to the album. They think it rocks.
Eric's sister has a guy over and they play it while fucking on the basement couch.
A couple months later Eric and the gang take the Vista Cruiser to Milwaukee to see Judas Priest.
A band is born with no airplay or hits.

Last edited by rw2516; 08-05-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

It looks like the bands who pack arenas are nostalgia acts whose relevance peaked in the 1980s. There isn't a lot of counter-culture word of mouth here.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...grossing-tours
Old 08-05-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Go watch a music video on YouTube of a good song from the ‘80s. Then read the comments. There will be a ton that say something to the effect of, “I wasn’t even born until twelve years after this was a hit, but I love it. The ‘80s sound was great.” There’s kids out there that get it.

The ‘80s have won the day. Stations that stopped playing golden oldies are playing ‘80s hits.
Anecdotal observation of a statistically irrelevant handful of young people is proof positive about the supremacy 80s music?

You'll find just as many old farts waxing poetic about The Struts or Royal Blood or Greta Van Fleet or Beartooth or whatever new rock is out there.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 08-05-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 05:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I was a kid/preteen of the late-70s and 80s.

I would agree Michael Jackson and Madonna's stuff has so far stood the test of time.

Other "pop music" stuff from my youth which I felt also stood the test of time, could be stuff like Duran Duran or the Bee Gees.
Talking Heads
Peter Gabriel
Police
Tears for Fears
Oingo Boingo
Springsteen
Elvis Costello
10,000 Maniacs
The Clash
The Smiths
Joy Division/New Order
Joe Jackson
Graham Parker
John Hiatt
Tom Petty
Social Distortion
Bad Religion
Howard Jones

All great 80s acts.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-06-18 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Popular music has become less and less driven by the actual musical quality over time. A 24-7 news media and social media has made it easier than ever for mediocre talents to become stars.
Ahh, yes, to go back to a world where the biggest single is a true musician's work, like Andy Gibb's "Shadow Dancing."
Old 08-13-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Guns 'N Roses may be one of the few 80s acts that had a more timeless sound because it was guitar-driven music.
There's more to GnR than just being guitar-driven. There's plenty of guitar-driven stuff which faded away with the 80s, such as Vinnie Vincent, etc ...

On the first GnR album, they had somebody who was a great songwriter in the band. From listening to the post-Illusion and/or solo efforts of the GnR bandmembers, it was obvious who that great songwriter was: Izzy Stradlin.
Old 08-13-18, 08:49 AM

More generally for just about most forms of music, I suspect the longevity in the public memory has a lot to do whether a song was well written and catchy.

In more recent times, it seems like pop/rock stars who are not very good songwriters, will end up hiring professional songwriters to come up with catchy sounding songs. For example, the top dogs in the professional songwriting business are writers like Max Martin, Diane Warren, etc ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Ma...on_discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Diane_Warren
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Warren
Old 08-13-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Pop music has been dumbed down to the reality TV show level. It has no substance, no sophistication, and no complexity. Compare Pop music of the 70's to Pop music today. Today's Pop is meaningless fluff with no real sophistication. That wasn't true in the 70's, and was far less true in the 80's than it is now. Pop has been slowly, but steadily, getting dumbed down decade by decade starting in the late 80's.

I read an article a few years go about how someone (at a college or something) put popular music through a computer to analyze it's complexity and sophistication, comparing it decade by decade, and there was a clear, factually documented, downward regression of the music into something less sophisticated and musical. Even things like the chords used in songs were simplified and less musical.
Old 08-13-18, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I read an article a few years go about how someone (at a college or something) put popular music through a computer to analyze it's complexity and sophistication, comparing it decade by decade, and there was a clear, factually documented, downward regression of the music into something less sophisticated and musical. Even things like the chords used in songs were simplified and less musical.
I have noticed pentatonic seems to be the musical scale underlying a lot of stuff which is "catchy" sounding, regardless of the musical genre. It seems to be the least grating sounding scale to the human ear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatonic_scale
Old 08-13-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Even worse is bands like Nickelback still playing large stadiums/arenas.
Nickelback is a good bad and play their own instruments. All this faux hate on them by the internet is funny.
Old 08-13-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

With the crap out today when a band like Royal Blood comes around it is reassuring that there are still solid rock bands out there.
Old 08-13-18, 05:48 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oVME_l4IwII" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-13-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Talking Heads
Peter Gabriel
Police
Tears for Fears
Oingo Boingo
Springsteen
Elvis Costello
10,000 Maniacs
The Clash
The Smiths
Joy Division/New Order
Joe Jackson
Graham Parker
John Hiatt
Tom Petty
Social Distortion
Bad Religion
Howard Jones

All great 80s acts.
Some great picks, there!

I'd add Phil Collins with his (arguably) three best albums, all released in the '80s.

Depeche Mode
Eurythmics
Pet Shop Boys
Dire Straits
Men At Work
Human League
Thomas Dolby
The Art of Noise

This list could go on and on...

I maintain that nothing has ruined music more than autotune.
Old 08-14-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Since we're now waxing nostalgically about 80s pop, my favorite sub-genre of that decade was the so-called "blonde pop" (I prefer "buzz-pop") of female fronted British bands towards the end of the decade. Stuff like The Primitives, The Darling Buds, Voice of the Beehive.
Old 08-17-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pop music has been dumbed down to the reality TV show level. It has no substance, no sophistication, and no complexity. Compare Pop music of the 70's to Pop music today. Today's Pop is meaningless fluff with no real sophistication. That wasn't true in the 70's, and was far less true in the 80's than it is now. Pop has been slowly, but steadily, getting dumbed down decade by decade starting in the late 80's.

I wonder if that decline was a matter of carefully picking the starting point. There isn't a whole lot of sophistication to the 1958 hits "Purple People Eater" or "The Chipmunk Song".
Old 08-17-18, 12:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Those are/were novelty songs and no one at that time thought they were anything else.
Old 08-17-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those are/were novelty songs and no one at that time thought they were anything else.
So were "Yakety Yak", "Tequila", and "The Witch Doctor". They were all big pop hits that year. It doesn't make the case that the sophistication of pop music has been declining, only that it has been varying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.