DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Frightened Rabbit singer Scott Hutchison is missing [UPDATE: DEAD] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/643988-frightened-rabbit-singer-scott-hutchison-missing-%5Bupdate-dead%5D.html)

printerati 05-10-18 02:28 PM

Frightened Rabbit singer Scott Hutchison is missing [UPDATE: DEAD]

Frightened Rabbit: Search Continues for Missing Singer Scott Hutchison

Scott Hutchison, singer of Scottish indie-rock band Frightened Rabbit, remains missing. The songwriter was last seen leaving the Dakota Hotel in South Queensferry early Wednesday morning. Local police are seeking information from two individuals seen passing the musician on CCTV footage.

Journalist James Matthews tweeted a statement he obtained from police, urging anyone with knowledge of Hutchison's whereabouts to "immediately" contact authorities. "It is important to stress that at this time we do not know definitively where Scott has headed after leaving the Dakota Hotel, and the assistance of the public is therefore vital to help us with this investigation," said Chief Inspector Alan Carson.

Frightened Rabbit also tweeted a statement, thanking fans for their support and urging them to continue spreading the word. "We have no news to report on Scott's whereabouts this morning," the band wrote.

Meanwhile, Grant Hutchison, Scott's brother and bandmate in both Frightened Rabbit and Mastersystem, spoke to Radio X about the search, as Stereogum reports. "Just come back," he said in a direct plea to his brother. "There's nothing so insurmountable that we can't figure it out together and help you to get better. We're all here for you, and we all love you very much. You can see the support online, as well. Then just know that everyone loves you very much, and we just want you to come back and be safe."

Before Hutchison initially went missing, the singer sent a pair of concerning tweets: "Be so good to everyone you love. It's not a given. I'm so annoyed that it’s not. I didn't live by that standard and it kills me. Please, hug your loved ones" and "I'm away now. Thanks." The band tweeted their concern over the musician's well-being, writing, "He may be in a fragile state and may not be making the best decisions for himself right now."
While this apparently isn't the first time Hutchison has "gone missing" in search of some solitude, the situation this time around seems to be a bit more dire, judging by the amount of coverage online and on some of the SiriusXM channels I listen to. I have always enjoyed Frightened Rabbit's stuff, and I hope he's found safe.

cultshock 05-10-18 02:36 PM

Re: Frightened Rabbit singer Scott Hutchison is missing

Great, first Richey Edwards, now this!

E Unit 05-10-18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by printerati (Post 13329112)
Frightened Rabbit: Search Continues for Missing Singer Scott Hutchison

While this apparently isn't the first time Hutchison has "gone missing" in search of some solitude, the situation this time around seems to be a bit more dire, judging by the amount of coverage online and on some of the SiriusXM channels I listen to. I have always enjoyed Frightened Rabbit's stuff, and I hope he's found safe.

Huh? Who?

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13329129)
Great, first Richey Edwards, now this!

Who?

Dan 05-10-18 06:15 PM

I've really liked what I've heard of their music. Hope he's alright but those tweets are pretty damn ominous...

cultshock 05-10-18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13329261)
Who?

Guitarist for Manic Street Preachers, disappeared in 1995 and hasn't been heard from since (other than a few unsubstantiated sightings in weird places). Interesting story really, and if I hear about a missing musician, he's the first person I think of. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richey_Edwards

dex14 05-11-18 07:22 AM

A body has been found in the search for Scott Hutchison, frontman of Scottish indie rock band Frightened Rabbit, the BBC reports. Hutchison was last seen on Wednesday, May 9 in South Queensferry, Scotland; his family later reported him missing to Scottish police. The body was found at Port Edgar, a marina near South Queensferry, at around 8:30 p.m. Thursday. While a formal identification is yet to take place, his family have been informed. Scotland’s First Minister is among those to have paid tribute.

Scott Hutchison began performing solo under the Frightened Rabbit moniker in 2003. “I thought of Frightened Rabbit because it was a nickname given to me by my mum when I was younger. I was incredibly shy as a child, almost chronically so,” he recalled to SPIN in 2010. The band, which included Hutchison’s brother Grant on drums, released their debut, Sing the Greys, in 2006. They released four more studio LPs over the following decade, with the most recent, Painting of a Panic Attack, arriving in 2016. The band was planning to host a festival in Glasgow on June 1 called The First Incident.

Outside of Frightened Rabbit, Scott Hutchison released a 2014 solo album under the name Owl John. Hutchison was also part of the Scottish collective Fruit Tree Foundation, who issued one record, First Edition, in 2011. The group was founded in association with the UK’s Mental Health Foundation, with the stated aim to “raise awareness of mental health and challenge perceptions of mental health problems by creating great art.” And earlier this year, Hutchison released Dance Music, the debut from Mastersystem, a new band with his brother Grant, as well as members of Editors and Minor Victories.

On Wednesday, May 9, Frightened Rabbit's social media accounts posted a message asking for fans to alert Scottish police if they had any information about Hutchison’s whereabouts. “We are worried about Scott, who has been missing for a little while now,” it said. “He may be in a fragile state and may not be making the best decisions for himself right now.”

The previous night, Hutchison had tweeted from his Owl John Twitter account, “Be so good to everyone you love. It’s not a given. I’m so annoyed that it’s not. I didn’t live by that standard and it kills me. Please, hug your loved ones. I’m away now. Thanks.”
https://pitchfork.com/news/body-foun...ocial_facebook

Dan 05-11-18 08:12 AM

Body confirmed. RIP...

Pointyskull 05-11-18 11:23 AM

Re: Frightened Rabbit singer Scott Hutchison is missing [UPDATE: DEAD]

Sad, sad news...

'Painting of a Panic Attack', 'The Winter of Mixed Drinks', and 'The Midnight Organ Fight' are genius - and you can tell those songs were coming from a very personal place.

I hope he is at peace now.

E Unit 05-11-18 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13329370)
Guitarist for Manic Street Preachers, disappeared in 1995 and hasn't been heard from since (other than a few unsubstantiated sightings in weird places). Interesting story really, and if I hear about a missing musician, he's the first person I think of. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richey_Edwards

:thumbsup: Thanks! Interesting story indeed. Too bad it has such a sad ending for both.

RIP.

Eddie W 05-11-18 01:48 PM

"Think I'll save suicide for another year....."

Superman07 05-11-18 03:20 PM

Yeah, this is sad news indeed. I gave The Midnight Organ Fight a listen today. :(

I didn’t realize he had a recent side project. I’ll have to give it a listen.

birdseye 05-12-18 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W (Post 13329786)
"Think I'll save suicide for another year....."

The lyrics to Floating in the Forth are....damn. :(

I really enjoyed Frightened Rabbit, not my most listened to band, but I always looked forward to their next album and their first two albums are amazing.