Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-23-18, 10:09 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

Quote:
A new album full of previously unreleased music from Prince is expected to come out at the end of September. In a brief interview in Variety, Troy Carter, the ex-Lady Gaga manager whose company Atom Factory is overseeing Prince’s estate, states, “Last week, the release of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ was the first piece of music to come from our collaboration with the estate, and now we’re working on a release for the fall — a full-length album.” This news comes after the two year anniversary of his death this past weekend, as well as the release of the aforementioned “Nothing Compares 2 U” and an accompanying music video of archival performance footage from the vault.

The estate also debuted two new websites to to commemorate the anniversary. One being a deep dive into his discography and the other one for fans to share their remembrances called “Prince2me.” According to Carter, the new album will be coming out on Warner Bros. Records, so presumably this will be music from his years with the label, which included the time he wrote the word “slave” on his face after battles with Warner Bros. over creative control of his music.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...rial-september

Do you feel that hope is fading? Do you comprehend?
Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Hello darkness, Say goodbye!
Old 04-23-18, 11:48 PM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

Hey, I'm all for it. The more Prince, the better.
Old 04-24-18, 12:11 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

I’m pretty attached to the 80s early 90s stuff, wonder what this come out of?

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-11-18, 12:50 PM   #4

Re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

Quote:
The Prince Estate and Tidal have announced an agreement to release an unreleased Prince album on the service in 2019. The two entities previously went to court in a dispute over the streaming rights of Prince’s vault recordings. Per the new agreement, the album will stream exclusively on Tidal for two weeks and will be available to download seven days after its debut, with a physical release planned for later that year.

Prince’s partnership with Tidal extends back to 2015, when the service debuted HITnRUN Phase One and Phase Two, though they ran into trouble when the service made Prince albums available posthumously that his Estate said they did not have the rights to.

Tidal owner Jay-Z will have a hand in the song selection for the album, working alongside the Prince Estate: “Our only goal is to share Prince’s music with his fans as he wanted. After thoughtful and honest conversation with him, he chose TIDAL as his partner for HITnRUN Phase One and HITnRUN Phase Two, and we will continue to respect and honor Prince’s enduring legacy and wishes with this new collection,” Jay-Z said in a statement.

A press release notes that the 2019 Tidal release is separate from the planned releases from Warner Brothers Records, Inc. Last month, it was revealed that a different album of previously unreleased material will be released in the fall.
https://www.stereogum.com/1995893/pr...dal-2019/news/
Old 06-07-18, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
This morning, on what would have been Prince’s 60th birthday, his estate and Warner Bros. have announced the release of a live album recorded in 1983. Piano & A Microphone: 1983, out September 21, was recorded during a rehearsal at Prince’s home studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Listen to the record’s version of “Mary Don’t You Weep,” which will feature in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman, below. The album also includes a cover of Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You” and versions of “Purple Rain” (which was then unreleased), “17 Days,” and more. See the tracklist below.

Piano & A Microphone: 1983:

01 17 Days
02 Purple Rain
03 A Case Of You
04 Mary Don’t You Weep
05 Strange Relationship
06 International Lover
07 Wednesday
08 Cold Coffee & Cocaine
09 Why The Butterflies
Old 06-07-18, 06:33 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Cool. When I heard “new album of unreleased material” I didn’t really imagine an acoustic set.
Old 06-07-18, 06:50 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very glad to see this. One of the best concert decisions of my life was spending an ungodly amount of money to see Prince on his piano and microphone tour when he hit New Zealand. He died two months later, which I still find unfathomable because the man on stage was so amazing and full of life. It's amazing how good his songs still were in a more acoustic setting.
Old 06-08-18, 02:05 AM   #8
DVD Talk Special Edition

While one of the best bootlegs it's beyond stupid they're releasing this yea sure most people haven't heard it before but it's been around for 20 yrs+ I bet.

Now it is something so good I still listen to it a lot over the years. Probably top 5 things in all the bootlegs, but still, really hard to get excited about really.
65" Samsung ks8000
Old 06-09-18, 04:07 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will get it.

What is the next album on the remaster list?
Old 06-09-18, 10:23 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like a deluxe of 1999.

Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Old 06-11-18, 09:27 AM   #11
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
While one of the best bootlegs it's beyond stupid they're releasing this yea sure most people haven't heard it before but it's been around for 20 yrs+ I bet.

Now it is something so good I still listen to it a lot over the years. Probably top 5 things in all the bootlegs, but still, really hard to get excited about really.
This makes no sense to me. If it's one of the best bootlegs and is so good that you still listen to it a lot, then that is EXACTLY what should be getting a proper release. Sure, there are probably lots of recordings that have not been bootlegged to also chose from, but if these are popular bootlegs, then making them more readily available to the general public seems like a no brainer.

"I think I misworded that wrong." -conscience
Old 06-12-18, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bralph View Post
This makes no sense to me. If it's one of the best bootlegs and is so good that you still listen to it a lot, then that is EXACTLY what should be getting a proper release. Sure, there are probably lots of recordings that have not been bootlegged to also chose from, but if these are popular bootlegs, then making them more readily available to the general public seems like a no brainer.
I am a huge Prince fan, but I never went after the bootlegs. Just not my thing. So I agree with you, let's bring out the best stuff, bootlegged or not.
Old 06-12-18, 06:11 PM   #13
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Uh it's cause its gonna be taken from a cassette tape. There is no proper master of the recording. So there is no proper version to release. They will be releasing basically what we've already had for 20 yrs. Maybe slightly cleaned up but the bootleg is already really good quality, well for a bootleg.

Listen to the clip above, that's basically exactly what the bootleg sounds like quality wise. So in the end whats the point.
65" Samsung ks8000
Old 06-13-18, 07:50 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

In the end a guy like me who doesn’t buy bootlegs can hear it. That’s the point.
Old 06-13-18, 08:27 PM   #15
DVD Talk Special Edition

No it isn't. THe point is to make money. And selling something MANY people have had for decades or so young they don't care probably isn't the best approach.
65" Samsung ks8000
Old 06-15-18, 05:05 PM   #16
DVD Talk Special Edition

THE PRINCE ESTATE STRIKES DEAL WITH SONY MUSIC!! (Post 1996 material and some of the vault) this deal is millions less than what UNIVERSAL paid last year. ($31 million.)

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/pr...ic-1202848408/
65" Samsung ks8000
Old 06-15-18, 10:48 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GOLD EXPERIENCE deluxe, please

Old 06-16-18, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythedon View Post
gold experience deluxe, please
yes yes yes yes yes. Please!!!!!!
Old 06-16-18, 10:17 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
No it isn't. THe point is to make money. And selling something MANY people have had for decades or so young they don't care probably isn't the best approach.
Even if many people have had this for decades (which, since it’s a bootleg, will still have nowhere near the distribution it will get now), we’re on DVDTalk. This is the place where many people don’t mind triple or quadruple dipping on releases non stop.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-16-18 at 10:22 PM.