Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: Apple shutting down iTunes Store next year

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RUMOR: Apple shutting down iTunes Store next year

Old 04-18-18, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: RUMOR: Apple shutting down iTunes Store next year

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The prices vary a lot.

A standard LP can be had for about $18-$25, but some artists charge more for their stuff, or you get special editions, premium covers, 180g vinyl, single albums spread over two records, colored vinyl, and it's not unusual for a lot of things to only be available in the $30-40 range.
Are new vinyl better in quality than older vinyl? Every album from the old days is readily available for around $10. Even the most obscure artists are plentiful on old vinyl. I'd think if a person was interested in vinyl they'd be snatching up the old stuff left and right on the cheap.
Old 04-18-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've spent untold thousands of dollars on CDs since 1985, though admittedly very little in recent years.

I WAS going to say that I've spent exactly $0.00 on "digital" music in that amount of time, but then I remember I actually did buy an audiobook for $10 last year about accounting that I felt would be a good idea to listen to on an 8-hour drive on the way to a job interview. It was also available on CD but I couldn't readily grab it anywhere before I started the trip. The audiobook wasn't too interesting and I likely won't listen to it much again if at all- oddly they put audiobooks in a separate section from music; to me it's all audio regardless of what's on it. If I had the CD, I'd keep it shelved with all the other CDs.
I still buy CDs left and right. Where iTunes came in handy was getting an OOP cd for 9.99 when a physical copy went for $40-50.
Also the odd non LP song.
Old 04-18-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

I hope this is not true. I like itunes and am somewhat wed to the mp4 format. I have a few thousand CDs in my basement and have largely given up on buying new CDs aside for key artists.... I would hope the original date of the article is 4/1/18.... but lets face it every format dies eventually.
Old 04-18-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Where will this leave iTunes Match?
Old 04-19-18, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've spent untold thousands of dollars on CDs since 1985, though admittedly very little in recent years.
So where do you go to buy CDs? Big chain stores like Target and Walmart only have mainstream stuff.
I remember back in the day going to Tower Records and the selection they had was too good.

I haven't bought CDs, even though I prefer them, because digital downloads are just too easy and convenient. Bad thing is you can only keep so many songs on your phone, which is why streaming is more popular.

Is streaming more preferable and profitable to the record companies? I mean, if everyone ends up streaming everything, and no more physical media, you can't resell your albums, you can't buy used albums. The record label could pull an artists song or album for whatever reason and you're out of luck.
Old 04-19-18, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I remember when the song "Cop Killer" was pulled from the Body Count album (heavy metal side project by Ice T)- they reissued it without the song included. I wasn't a big fan but when I heard the news I went out looking for the original version of the album and it was sold out everywhere, then later I saw it in a record store's display case for $50 or so.

But I just Googled it and you can hear it here, don't sound as good as a CD but better than nothing:

So where do you go to buy CDs? Big chain stores like Target and Walmart only have mainstream stuff.
We still have one local chain of record stores, with 5 locations in the area. They still seem to be doing OK, though they've never had the best selection. I take road trips out of town just to go record shopping (and of course also look for laserdiscs and harder to find Blu-Rays and DVDs).
Old 04-19-18, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
So where do you go to buy CDs?
Overwhelmingly Amazon, bestbuy.com, and directly from artists. Occasionally bn.com and eBay.

Off the top of my head, I think the last CD I bought for myself in a brick and mortar store was Target's exclusive edition of CHRVCHES' sophomore album.
Old 04-19-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I remember back in the day going to Tower Records and the selection they had was too good.

I haven't bought CDs, even though I prefer them, because digital downloads are just too easy and convenient. Bad thing is you can only keep so many songs on your phone, which is why streaming is more popular.

Is streaming more preferable and profitable to the record companies? I mean, if everyone ends up streaming everything, and no more physical media, you can't resell your albums, you can't buy used albums. The record label could pull an artists song or album for whatever reason and you're out of luck.
I live in an area where there are multiple Newbury Comics, a few Bull Moose Music stores and at least one independent record store that sells mostly vinyl in very easy driving distance. Record Store Day is April 21st and there are quite a few exclusive releases for that. I don't think we will see physical media completely die off anytime soon. Both Newbury and Bull do a fair amount of trade in used CDs too...
Old 04-19-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I've bought some signed CDs from Newbury online.
Old 04-19-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Newbury online often has some cool bundles with their discs, and for prices that aren't much more than the disc itself.