DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Lindsey Buckingham no longer in Fleetwood Mac (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/643649-lindsey-buckingham-no-longer-fleetwood-mac.html)

dex14 04-09-18 03:31 PM

Lindsey Buckingham no longer in Fleetwood Mac

Per TMZ:

12:12 PM PT -- It didn't take the band long to replace Lindsey ... in a statement provided to TMZ, the group has announced that Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers) and Neil Finn (Crowded House) will join the group for the upcoming tour.

As for the Lindsey situation, the statement simply reads, "Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour. The band wishes Lindsey all the best."

Fleetwood Mac has lost a key member of the band just as the group is set embark on a giant tour -- Lindsey Buckingham is out ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the group tell us Lindsey will no longer be involved in any band activity, and will not be joining his former bandmates on the massive tour this summer. Keyboardist Christine McVie confirmed they'd be hitting the road around June.

It's unclear exactly why he's splitting from the band -- or who cut ties with who -- but we're told, for now at least, the decision is final and firm.

Buckingham served as FM's lead guitarist for over 40 years, ever since he and then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks were recruited by Mick Fleetwood and co. After he and Nicks came aboard, the band's popularity skyrocketed on the heels of two hit albums -- 1975's "Fleetwood Mac" and '77's "Rumours," the latter of which is the 8th best selling album of all time.

He and the rest of Fleetwood Mac were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. Their last headlining show together was last summer.
Rolling Stone is reporting though that he was fired: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ingham-w518925

I was looking forward to this "farewell" tour, but if Buckingham isn't involved, I don't know if I'm going to bother.

hdnmickey 04-09-18 03:44 PM

Re: Lindsey Buckingham no longer in Fleetwood Mac

Not again. So Brunette and Vito were not available this time? :lol:

I imagine most people would pass of FM if they knew ahead of time that the primary guy people identify as the sound of the band is MIA.

Josh-da-man 04-09-18 03:45 PM

Neil Finn? Never would have seen that one.

Don't know what went down, but, Christ, they've been around for forty or fifty years. Unless there's a health issue, just get your shit together and do the farewell tour for the fans.

Decker 04-09-18 03:46 PM

That's a bummer. All three singers are very important but he's the one virtuoso of the band. One of the finest guitarists in Rock.

dex14 04-09-18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13307033)
That's a bummer. All three singers are very important but he's the one virtuoso of the band. One of the finest guitarists in Rock.

For sure. He is way underrated. I love seeing Big Love live.

hdnmickey 04-09-18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13307033)

It's also underrated just how much he adds to every song Nicks or McVie sings as part of the background vocals. I never realized just how much until hearing the same songs, with those two still doing their lead vocals, but without Lindsey there accompanying them.

Norm de Plume 04-09-18 09:08 PM

No worries. He was the best thing about the band. Now he can concentrate on his solo work and hopefully pump out some more extraordinary albums.

Kurt D 04-10-18 12:11 AM

The genius will be missed with the Mac, but yes, another solo album would be grand.

cdollaz 04-10-18 06:28 AM

There are 2 people that must be present for me to be interested in Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham and Christine. Oh well.

DVD Josh 04-10-18 09:20 AM

Fleetwood Mac has always been at its best when they have been the backing band for Lindsey Buckingham.

The rumor is that Stevie told Mick (the owner of the band) that it was either him or her, and he chose her for some reason, even though she can barely still sing and plays the fucking tambourine.

Mick must really like her fajitas.

mwbmis 04-10-18 09:56 AM

I saw them in 1997 and then again a few years ago when Chris rejoined. It wasn't quite as good the second time around, and Lindsey was easily the best part of that show. It was amazing what he was able to do at his age. I don't think he ever left the stage. Not really interested in a show without him.

Supermallet 04-10-18 12:48 PM

More Buckingham solo albums and tours please! His solo career has been far better than anything FM has done after Tusk.

mphtrilogy 04-10-18 12:52 PM

I've been discovering the early peter green era of fleetwood mac lately, so it's in the band's dna to mix it up I guess...

DVD Josh 04-10-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 13307689)
I've been discovering the early peter green era of fleetwood mac lately, so it's in the band's dna to mix it up I guess...

Oh Well is the only PG era Mac song I like. I have the best of Peter Green FM album and it's not for me.

Hokeyboy 04-10-18 01:50 PM

FM is nothing more than a touring nostalgia act, and has been for years. Which is fine for anyone who wants to see Greatest Hits Live in a big arena at exorbitant ticket prices, but meh. At this point FM without Buckingham is like Eagles without Frey. A last-gasp moneygrab effort.

The Black 04-10-18 02:31 PM

I saw them recently (with McVie) in Amsterdam. Buckingham looked like the only one who gave an actual f#ck on stage. What a legend. Not going to see them without him.

Decker 04-10-18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Black (Post 13307781)
I saw them recently (with McVie) in Amsterdam. Buckingham looked like the only one who gave an actual f#ck on stage. What a legend. Not going to see them without him.

I said this in another thread a few years back : I went to see them at a show about 5 years ago (No Christine McVie). I got tickets through a lighting or sound guy who was a patient of mine. His wife took be backstage before the show and showed me -- there was a second drum kit below the stage because Mick had gotten so old and senile that he couldn't play the drums competently any more. There had to be a secret drummer playing along for the show. Pathetic.

Damn right Lindsey is the only one who cares about anything other than a paycheck at this point.

Unclejosh 04-10-18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13307748)
FM is nothing more than a touring nostalgia act, and has been for years. Which is fine for anyone who wants to see Greatest Hits Live in a big arena at exorbitant ticket prices, but meh. At this point FM without Buckingham is like Eagles without Frey. A last-gasp moneygrab effort.

I actually think Lindsey is more important to FM live than Frey was to the Eagles to be honest.

rw2516 04-10-18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 13307689)

If you haven't heard it, check out Bare Trees from Bob Welch era. One of the best.

rw2516 04-10-18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13307740)
Oh Well is the only PG era Mac song I like. I have the best of Peter Green FM album and it's not for me.

You don't like Black Magic Woman or Green Manalishi?

hdnmickey 04-11-18 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13307846)
If you haven't heard it, check out Bare Trees from Bob Welch era. One of the best.

I have to admit that even though I'm a huge Nicks/Buckingham era FM fan, I am just now getting into the Welch era stuff and liking it. There even a couple hits in there that I didn't even realize were FM back when I first heard them as a kid (and had not heard them since given you rarely, if ever, here any FM from before the Nicks era). Still not much into the Green era though. Prefer the covers of those songs, or Buckingham doing them live, over the original version with Green.

Kurt D 04-11-18 10:32 AM

Totally into pop refinement. Welch's solo version of 'Sentimental Lady' is better than the Mac version IMO.

mphtrilogy 04-11-18 10:38 AM

Just picked up Future Games on LP this weekend, also a cool record. Fleetwood Mac is just an interesting group with many iterations, Buckingham is still putting out quality though, so this one stings

Mabuse 04-11-18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13307030)

Don't know what went down, but, Christ, they've been around for forty or fifty years. Unless there's a health issue, just get your shit together and do the farewell tour for the fans.

What went down was forty or fifty years of not liking each other.

This album, from last year is fantastic,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...gham_McVie.jpg

It's the whole band minus Stevie Nicks, and she's not missed.

cdollaz 04-11-18 03:25 PM

Spot on. Nicks has always been the least important for me so I loved the Buckingham McVie album and tour.