Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lindsey Buckingham no longer in Fleetwood Mac

Old 08-26-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Lindsey Buckingham no longer in Fleetwood Mac

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Who cares about Fleetwood Mac. I just want a new Buckingham album.
You got one last Summer. And a good one at that.

Old 08-26-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It was decent, but not top-drawer Buckingham, which is to say not a patch on any album of his since 1992. He's one of the fewer than five bands/musicians whose albums I buy without a second thought (I have paltry space on my CD shelves). One thing I wonder is why he always looks so miserable on his album covers.
Old 08-26-18, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

It was great.
Old 08-27-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I wonder is why he always looks so miserable on his album covers.
Probably those tight jeans that look two sizes to small.
Old 08-27-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ha, could be.
Old 08-28-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Probably those tight jeans that look two sizes to small.
I noticed that immediately when the album was released. The fit of those jeans is how a woman would wear them. Just looks weird.

And yea, not only is he not happy on his album covers - he always looks totally miserable.
Old 09-05-18, 12:48 PM

Yea... I'm gonna pass on this tour.

Last edited by dex14; 09-05-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and lawsuit....

https://ew.com/music/2018/10/12/lind...d-mac-lawsuit/
Old 10-12-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's silly. As long as he's still getting his royalties, he should let the others go on without him. A lawsuit just seems trifling, unless there's a meritorious aspect (I didn't read the article).
Old 10-12-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's precedent for this lawsuit : Kathy Valentine sued the rest of the Go-Go's in 2013 after they kicked her out of the band after she broke her wrist before a big tour. Checking Google, the settlement was never made public, but believe me (because I know for sure), she did VERY well for herself with the settlement. I was shocked that the other gals let her rejoin the band this Summer.
Old 10-13-18, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to be the "it's all about the music man" guy, but when there are lawsuits, and all the members hate each other it just drains a lot of the fun out of it for me when it comes to going to see them live. Especially when you factor in that Fleetwood Mac has been purely a nostaligia act for sometime.

From the time I was 13 in 1997 until right before it actually happened I DREAMED about the day Guns n Roses would reunite and I'd be able to see them live. Then when it came out that Izzy and Adler weren't gonna be a part of it, it was pretty deflating, but I still planned on going to see them. Then when it came out that Axl, Slash and Duff were going to make the lions share of the profits from the tour while Izzy was offered table scraps, I was just done at that point. I lost all interest. Izzy Stradlin was the backbone of GNR. He wrote most of their great songs and is easily the coolest dude ever. I was depressed for weeks when it came out that the rest of the band was willing to fuck him over. Never meet your heroes. Or even read about them.
Old 10-13-18, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that's silly. As long as he's still getting his royalties, he should let the others go on without him. A lawsuit just seems trifling, unless there's a meritorious aspect (I didn't read the article).
If Fleetwood Mac formed an economic entity, and Buckingham is a member of that entity, then he is entitled to his share of all profits Fleetwood Mac earns, even this tour.
He is not entitled to the performance fee that the others get. Each band member gets paid a salary for performing each night, that is deducted from gross profits, what is leftover gets divided equally among the members of the entity. The replacement musicians get paid for performing but do not get a share of the profits.

Mick Taylor was an equal member of The Rolling Stones. He left the band in 1974. He still gets an equal share of all profits the economic entity earns, including all the tours and albums since he left.
Ron Wood was not made a member at first. He was just paid a salary for performing on the recordings and tours, while Taylor was getting a share of the profits.

Don Felder was an equal member of The Eagles. After he was fired he continued to get his share of Eagles profits. I believe he had to sue because they weren't paying him.

Take the "Say You Will" album. Which Christine McVie is absent from.
Fleetwood Mac paid the other four members a salary for performing on the album.
Fleetwood Mac paid Buckingham a salary for producing.
Any profits the album earned would have been divided equally among the members of the Fleetwood Mac entity, including Christine.

Each member files an individual tax return
Fleetwood Mac files a business tax return
The income the members received is listed as an expense on the Fleetwood Mac tax return

Don't know if it would hold up legally, active members could raise their salaries high enough to wipe out all profits, leaving nothing left to be divided among members both active and non-active.

Last edited by rw2516; 10-13-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^OK, fair enough, but it still seems a bit petty to me. I'm sure he's swimming in dough. The best revenge for an ignominious, spiteful act like his dismissal would be for him to move on and continue making great solo albums. Nevertheless, I can appreciate your argument that he deserves his share of the ongoing "economic entity".
Old 10-15-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Yea... I'm gonna pass on this tour.

Yeah, saw those clips too. Terrible!

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There's precedent for this lawsuit : Kathy Valentine sued the rest of the Go-Go's in 2013 after they kicked her out of the band after she broke her wrist before a big tour. Checking Google, the settlement was never made public, but believe me (because I know for sure), she did VERY well for herself with the settlement. I was shocked that the other gals let her rejoin the band this Summer.
I hated the way Belinda, Jane, Charlotte and Gina treated Kathy Valentine during this time. Fuck them! And I refused to ever see them again after that with her replacement.
Old 10-16-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Steve Perry has a similiar deal where he gets paid for everything Journey does even if he has no involvement.
Old 12-01-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw the show last night. I thought it was a pretty good show. Obviously age and lifestyle has taken a toll on Stevie's vocals to some extent, but she was still pretty good. They played for a solid 2 1/4 hours. Hit almost all their hits (not Tusk, Silver Springs or Sara though). Covered a couple of older FM songs. One amazing cover in the encore. Not a mere mention of Lindsey. Neil Finn is a fine vocalist (and he played an acoustic Don't Dream It's Over ) and Mike Campbell is a very capable proficient guitarist, but Lindsey was sorely missed, at least by me. Neither is close to the dynamic presence that Lindsey is.

My seats were really great, front of floor, around 20 rows back.

Old 12-02-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Saw the show last night. I thought it was a pretty good show. Obviously age and lifestyle has taken a toll on Stevie's vocals to some extent, but she was still pretty good. They played for a solid 2 1/4 hours. Hit almost all their hits (not Tusk, Silver Springs or Sara though). Covered a couple of older FM songs. One amazing cover in the encore. Not a mere mention of Lindsey. Neil Finn is a fine vocalist (and he played an acoustic Don't Dream It's Over ) and Mike Campbell is a very capable proficient guitarist, but Lindsey was sorely missed, at least by me. Neither is close to the dynamic presence that Lindsey is.

My seats were really great, front of floor, around 20 rows back.

Cool picture and great seats! Yeah, without Lindsey, this is not Fleetwood Mac. Sorry. I don't know why they couldn't just wait to accommodate his schedule. Or who knows, maybe he truly is an asshole. Like that recent article paints him out to be. But they should have met in the middle. This has to be the last tour for them. It's so sad they couldn't do a proper goodbye.