DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   If audio cassettes are making a comeback,where are the new players? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/643209-if-audio-cassettes-making-comeback-where-new-players.html)

dvd-4-life 02-28-18 05:06 PM

If audio cassettes are making a comeback,where are the new players?

Looking for a dual cassette player with auto reverse and there basically seems to be nothing .

I seen a Marantz on ebay but don't know if it's still available.

I would expect a decent one to run around 200 dollars.

Maxflier 02-28-18 05:09 PM

Re: If audio cassettes are making a comeback,where are the new players?

Audio cassettes are making a comeback? Why?

Why So Blu? 02-28-18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13280165)
Audio cassettes are making a comeback? Why?

Hipsters.

E Unit 02-28-18 05:57 PM

I thought they were still deep in vinyl. Seems like that's the only physical media still prominent in B&M's now. I had no idea cassette was coming back. Damn you Guardians of the Galaxy!!

SmackDaddy 02-28-18 10:53 PM

A few of the bigger local vinyl shops are starting to stock cassettes. But, I have yet to see any players. Strange, but, I grew up with them so they were sort of neat to see. Would I buy them again? Unlikely.

rw2516 03-01-18 06:04 AM

Saw a segment on the news about this. Featured a factory that makes blanks and how their is revived demand.

stingermck 03-01-18 06:55 AM

A guy I used to work with a few years ago was using cassettes to get his music out there. He said he got them insanely cheap and the novelty of them made people buy them over CD's. Like usual, everything old is new again.

dvd-4-life 03-01-18 08:23 AM

I've only got one cassette player in the house that works and that's an old Radio Shack Soundesign Stereo System from the mid-1980's and it still works but I would prefer something newer.

RichC2 03-01-18 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13280175)
Hipsters.

Naw, this is purely a nostalgia boost this time. It'll fade quick.

Mabuse 03-01-18 09:28 AM

I used to have an amazing Kenwood dual cassette deck, auto reversing, it was a like a little sound mixer. Wish I’d kept it.

I don’t understand the comeback. Cassettes offer no benefit.

DVD Josh 03-01-18 12:52 PM

My parents are moving and I found a 10 pack of TDK Gold 90 min tapes, unopened. It would shock you what I got for it.

dhmac 03-01-18 12:57 PM

Phony hipsters go for cassette - a real hipster should be going for 8-Track

Hokeyboy 03-01-18 02:20 PM

Cassettes are not making a significant comeback. Vinyl made a resurgence because there's a strong audiophile argument (and cover art/packaging argument) which supports it.

Cassettes sound, comparatively, like garbage. Their appeal back in their day was portability and home recording. People seeking them out now are just trying to be kitschy. Good luck with that.

Damfino 03-01-18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13280964)
Phony hipsters go for cassette - a real hipster should be going for 8-Track

There is a surprising collectors market for 8 tracks too.

MarkitZero 03-01-18 02:30 PM

Better break out my old cassette boombox and box of "party mix" tapes I have stored in the attic!

Ash Ketchum 03-01-18 02:40 PM

None of my Sony Walkmans play tapes anymore, but the radio still works so that's what I listen to around the house. But I'd love to have one with a tape player that works, but the last mom-and-pop electronics store in my neighborhood that still carried them closed years ago. I just threw out tons of audiocassettes of radio shows and the like (mostly Howard Stern and some local talk shows I used to listen to), but I have lots of pre-recorded music cassettes that I still want to listen to, and for most it's the only format I have that music in.

dvd-4-life 03-01-18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13281060)
Cassettes are not making a significant comeback. Vinyl made a resurgence because there's a strong audiophile argument (and cover art/packaging argument) which supports it.

Cassettes sound, comparatively, like garbage. Their appeal back in their day was portability and home recording. People seeking them out now are just trying to be kitschy. Good luck with that.

A lot of laserdiscs had a better soundtrack then it's dvd rival so why doesn't laserdisc make a comeback? Same goes for art/packaging.

MarkitZero 03-01-18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13281170)
A lot of laserdiscs had a better soundtrack then it's dvd rival so why doesn't laserdisc make a comeback? Same goes for art/packaging.

Bad picture quality, multiple discs or flipping to just watch one movie. Yeah, no thanks. :)

cultshock 03-01-18 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13281170)

Unfortunately most laserdiscs look like ass on a modern HDTV.

dvd-4-life 03-01-18 05:32 PM

Why not use laserdisc as a music format? Probably better sounding than vinyl plus could use the same art/packaging. Vinyl is too fragile for my tastes. Laserdisc had laser rot.

Sonic 03-01-18 06:20 PM

The other day I threw away a bunch of audio cassettes in the garbage since I already have the music on CD/MP3.

dvd-4-life 03-01-18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarkitZero (Post 13281179)
Bad picture quality, multiple discs or flipping to just watch one movie. Yeah, no thanks. :)

They did make auto reverse laserdisc players.

dvd-4-life 03-01-18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MarkitZero (Post 13281179)

Lord of the Rings blu-rays (all three movies) needed to change discs to watch the entire movie. I thought you would never have too do that again. Surely there was enough space on a Blu-ray to fit an entire movie no matter the length of time.

Coral 03-01-18 09:12 PM

I blame "13 Reasons Why" for this dumb resurgence.

Hazel Motes 03-01-18 11:55 PM

I've got a cassette of ACDC's Highway to Hell that I never threw out. I display it on top of one of my movie shelves as a novelty.

I understand vinyl's resurgence. Besides nostalgia, they sound great, and the size of the artwork on the sleeve has an aesthetic, collectible appeal. All cassettes have is nostalgia really. I wonder if 8 tracks are gonna come back. Also, I wonder if VCR's will ever come back into production, given the resurgence of VHS.