Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Another nail in physical music's coffin - Best Buy to pull CDs by July

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Another nail in physical music's coffin - Best Buy to pull CDs by July

Old 02-07-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Another nail in physical music's coffin - Best Buy to pull CDs by July

Originally Posted by Decker
Stuff like that wasn't going to be at Best Buy anyway. There will always be a niche audience for physical media and rare stuff. There will always be a way to track that stuff down, just like anyone who like Vinyl can get whatever they want, even if it's not in Best Buy, Target or Wal Mart.
Back in the day, the only places where I could find the "rare stuff" were the indie record stores which specialized in european + japanese imports.

Places like Wallyworld, BB, Target, Virgin, HMV (in the uk and canada), Tower, etc ... were largely useless. Most of these places wouldn't do special orders of vinyl/cd titles from overseas.
Old 02-07-18, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see this as a nail in cd's coffin. I see this as yet another nail in Best Buy's coffin. They have eroded to the point that the only thing I've bought from them in the last six years were android phones ... and a Mad Max steelbook because it was exclusive.

For those writing about experiences of high-priced retail cd's - I didn't have that same experience throughout the last 30 years of buying/collecting cd's (and vinyl).

I have worked for just about every music retailer in Southern New Hampshire (First started in a department store: Lechmere's music department), then heading down to a TRAX Music in Norfolk VA (which turned into a Blockbuster Music [remember them??]), then moving to a mom-and-pop record shop (Rockit Records) and then helping open the Newbury Comics in Manchester NH. That covers roughly all of the 90's and early 00's.

New releases were always between 10.99 and 14.99. Catalog titles were usually less, unless it was double-disc or more sets. I also did a lot of buying of imports and out of print titles from the back of Goldmine magazine, and import singles were always 9.99 or 10.99. They never fluctuated in price - always the same cost.

The only places that had sky-high cd pricing was RecordWorld/TapeWorld in the big malls (all the record shops in our malls locally, regardless of name, were all owned by the same conglomerate - so it didn't matter what one you went to in the mall - you were buying from the same entity. We had two Tower Records near me (one in Boston, one near the NH border) and those usually had really high prices, but most buyers I knew only went to Tower for import titles (as did I).

Out of all the cd's I have (at the moment somewhere around 1,600), only 1 cd has ever gotten any kind of cd rot: a Mike & the Mechanics import cd-single that for some reason became absolutely roached just sitting in it's case in my cd rack. No idea why.

I'm a big flea-market junkie, and during the flea season I'm regularly coming home with cds each Sunday. Lots of old and out-of-print stuff, and I'm paying roughly 75 cents a cd. Usually 50 cents. Some times a buck. Never more than $2. There is so much good shit out there just waiting to be bought and listened to.

I have a big iPod and over the last decade I'll rip a few cds a week while I'm working. But an iPod can cause what I call "selection exhaustion" - never knowing what to listen to because there is simply too much there for the brain to digest. I'd rather spend an extra five minutes in the morning going through the collection and grabbing four cds and taking them with me.

And for vinyl - I've recently upgraded to a U-Turn Orbit, and I busted out the 100+ vinyl I've had.

Vinyl is a whole other beast for me; it's a large format that really grabs the listener and makes them part of the process. You have this gorgeous 12"x12" artwork that you open like a book. There is photography and design to digest. There is the album sleeve to let your eyes move around and read. A vinyl album makes you sit down and listen. You get four or five songs, then you have to get up and flip it for the 2nd act. There is more involvement when listening to a record. I love that. I love nice, big artwork to look at. I love seeing a whole complete package to digest. And, again, go into any Goodwill and you'll find bins of vinyl priced at pennies on the dollar. TONS of out-of-print stuff, right under your nose, and well worth the 50 cents to take a chance and maybe learn about some new musician.

Sales might be dwindling, but there will always be avenues for finding physical media - especially music. I think the return of Vinyl (though I don't agree with the crazy high prices for new vinyl: $40-50 is crazy high, unless it's an import or a limited edition) is a direct reaction to how impersonal an iPod and digital music has become. As a photographer that learned on film, I see people who only learned on digital cameras now taking a strong interest in film, and, even earlier processes like tin-type and wet-plate. They are searching for something that connects them more into the process.

Vinyl, and cd's - they were ways to be physically connected to the bands you listed to; to take their creation and hold it in your hands and read along with the singer, and collect, and share.

...that was a lot more typing that I intended.

Viva la Vinyl. Spin that black circle.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 02-07-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Just for the record, as a huge Ennio Morricone fan, I am happy to have found several previously unheard Morricone albums on Amazon Music and listen to those on my Kindle. Saves the me the cost of buying the CDs. I have tons of Morricone albums on vinyl that I haven't listened to in years because my stereo has a problem that can probably be easily fixed and yet I put the whole setup in storage. I have tons of Morricone albums on CD that I never transferred to iTunes and tons more that I have transferred to iTunes. So when I need a Morricone fix I have places to turn.
Old 02-08-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

It's only a matter of time before Best Buy also drops DVDs and Blu-rays. CDs are just the canary in the coalmine.

Best Buy makes their living these days on large appliances and cellphones.
Old 02-08-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid Ceaser
I don't see this as a nail in cd's coffin. I see this as yet another nail in Best Buy's coffin. They have eroded to the point that the only thing I've bought from them in the last six years were android phones ... and a Mad Max steelbook because it was exclusive.

For those writing about experiences of high-priced retail cd's - I didn't have that same experience throughout the last 30 years of buying/collecting cd's (and vinyl).

I have worked for just about every music retailer in Southern New Hampshire (First started in a department store: Lechmere's music department), then heading down to a TRAX Music in Norfolk VA (which turned into a Blockbuster Music [remember them??]), then moving to a mom-and-pop record shop (Rockit Records) and then helping open the Newbury Comics in Manchester NH. That covers roughly all of the 90's and early 00's.

New releases were always between 10.99 and 14.99. Catalog titles were usually less, unless it was double-disc or more sets. I also did a lot of buying of imports and out of print titles from the back of Goldmine magazine, and import singles were always 9.99 or 10.99. They never fluctuated in price - always the same cost.

The only places that had sky-high cd pricing was RecordWorld/TapeWorld in the big malls (all the record shops in our malls locally, regardless of name, were all owned by the same conglomerate - so it didn't matter what one you went to in the mall - you were buying from the same entity. We had two Tower Records near me (one in Boston, one near the NH border) and those usually had really high prices, but most buyers I knew only went to Tower for import titles (as did I).

Out of all the cd's I have (at the moment somewhere around 1,600), only 1 cd has ever gotten any kind of cd rot: a Mike & the Mechanics import cd-single that for some reason became absolutely roached just sitting in it's case in my cd rack. No idea why.

I'm a big flea-market junkie, and during the flea season I'm regularly coming home with cds each Sunday. Lots of old and out-of-print stuff, and I'm paying roughly 75 cents a cd. Usually 50 cents. Some times a buck. Never more than $2. There is so much good shit out there just waiting to be bought and listened to.

I have a big iPod and over the last decade I'll rip a few cds a week while I'm working. But an iPod can cause what I call "selection exhaustion" - never knowing what to listen to because there is simply too much there for the brain to digest. I'd rather spend an extra five minutes in the morning going through the collection and grabbing four cds and taking them with me.

And for vinyl - I've recently upgraded to a U-Turn Orbit, and I busted out the 100+ vinyl I've had.

Vinyl is a whole other beast for me; it's a large format that really grabs the listener and makes them part of the process. You have this gorgeous 12"x12" artwork that you open like a book. There is photography and design to digest. There is the album sleeve to let your eyes move around and read. A vinyl album makes you sit down and listen. You get four or five songs, then you have to get up and flip it for the 2nd act. There is more involvement when listening to a record. I love that. I love nice, big artwork to look at. I love seeing a whole complete package to digest. And, again, go into any Goodwill and you'll find bins of vinyl priced at pennies on the dollar. TONS of out-of-print stuff, right under your nose, and well worth the 50 cents to take a chance and maybe learn about some new musician.

Sales might be dwindling, but there will always be avenues for finding physical media - especially music. I think the return of Vinyl (though I don't agree with the crazy high prices for new vinyl: $40-50 is crazy high, unless it's an import or a limited edition) is a direct reaction to how impersonal an iPod and digital music has become. As a photographer that learned on film, I see people who only learned on digital cameras now taking a strong interest in film, and, even earlier processes like tin-type and wet-plate. They are searching for something that connects them more into the process.

Vinyl, and cd's - they were ways to be physically connected to the bands you listed to; to take their creation and hold it in your hands and read along with the singer, and collect, and share.

Cheers,
Sid

Good shit right here, man!
Old 02-09-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I haven't bought a CD from Best Buy for ages with the exception of the latest Warrant CD I was shocked they had it.

Amazon has everything so no biggie.
Old 02-10-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Great discussion here. I have about 1700 CDs or so, 300 vinyl records (most from the 80's of collecting) and have been ripping all my CDs to FLAC so I can access them a bit easier. I have about 25K songs in iTunes of various quality, but I have many CDs that aren't ripped at all. I moved last year, and don't have room to store the CDs out (but I don't want to get rid of them) so I figure the FLAC project will make them accessible, and easier to play. I use a cloud backup, and they are all getting saved as I do them. Once it's all done, I will get a external drive to backup locally as well.

I agree with most here, saying it's more a nail in best buys coffin than CDs. I buy all my CDs on Amazon, love Auto-Rip to get right away. But I want the physical copy too.
Old 02-10-18, 12:21 PM

Cheers,
Sid
You are 100% correct.

But I feel that even though there will always be a market for physical media, the problem is these big corporations pretty much dictating the future of the music industry. By taking discs out of big stores like Target and Best Buy, the average consumer won't always want to go to Amazon and wait even the two days for a CD to show up at their house, effectively forcing them to go with streaming. Rather than these big companies surrendering to streaming and digital, they're putting no money and no effort into enticing people to staying with physical media.

I also suffer from "selection exhaustion". I've stated in another thread that I also own roughly 1,000 CDs, and while it isn't practical to sift through Spotify to save everything I own digitally (which would be impossible since there's a handful of stuff that isn't even on there), the problem is that even for premium users there's a limit to how much you can have saved, which is bullshit. My Spotify library is pretty big, and it does get overwhelming to scroll through a ton of stuff and trying to decide on something. Like you said, I find it much easier to just grab a few discs from my collection on my way out the door and take them with me, at least while I still have a CD player in my car. Plus, I find it much easier to simply swap out the discs while in the car. I'm not going to pull the car over to pick up my phone and have to go through my library to find something else to listen to.

Let Best Buy dig themselves into an even deeper hole. I just used my rewards certificate the other night to pick up a few CDs, and I think it was probably my last purchase with them. They've made it harder and harder to support them as a company over these past few years, and I personally won't miss them one bit. Maybe if this were 8-12 years ago, I'd have been singing a different tune.
Old 02-12-18, 12:53 PM

I mean, Big Box stores going out of business and stuff isn't new.

Between all the Lechmere's and Ames and Caldor's and Bradlees and .... there are still record shops and places to buy music. Big Box might think they can dictate what everybody buys, but I think there will be plenty of avenues for music fans who crave hands-on, physical product.

I was at a local Goodwill on Saturday pawing through the vinyl. In the time I was there about six other people of varied ages and gender slide up besides me and poked through them as well. Good stuff.
Old 02-14-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Another nail in Best Buy's coffin for me.
You go to Best Buy to buy physical music?

Why?
Old 02-14-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

A couple of months ago,I started buying CDs for the first time in over 15 years.

Is Best Buy still going to sell CDs online?
Old 02-14-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I don't think they've said, but probably. They sell plenty of movies that aren't available in stores, and it might shake out that you order from bestbuy.com but another company like Alliance Entertainment fulfills it.
Old 02-14-18, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
A couple of months ago,I started buying CDs for the first time in over 15 years.

I won't be buying from them if they continue to selling them online. Not only are their shipping prices insane ($3.99 for an item that could take up to 9 days to get to me? No thank you), but their prices in general suck. A CD that costs anywhere from $12 - $14 will end up costing up to $20 when all is said and done. I'd much rather order from Amazon, who is by far cheaper, and with Prime I'll have it in two days. Even without Prime, their prices are much better.
Old 02-15-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I disagree with the whole price argument. I bought a ton of CDs in high school, back in the 80s, when CDs cost $16.99. That's $38.53 in 2017 dollars. I've only bought a handful of CDs this century, but most were $11.99 or less - so CDs are two-thirds cheaper now than they were in the 80s. Hell, I picked up Madonna's Hard Candy at Walmart (even though I didn't care for the album. At all.) because I was once a fan, and have all her other stuff on CD. It was $7.87... which would have cost $4 in 1986!

I think the bottom line is that people value convenience over quality. CDs sound great, but they're a pain to carry around (who remembers having a binder of 80 discs in the car?). They're a pain to swap out, especially when driving or exercising. They take up space, and are a giant pain the ass when it's time to move. And every single living American over the age of 30 (maybe 35) and under 80 has, at one point in their lives, had to buy an entire CD when they only wanted one song.

Compare that to an iPod, which can hold thousands of songs for any occasion, and has easily-made playlists for working out or studying. Or a streaming service, which is much like an iPod with a 30 million song library that never requires manual syncing and works on your computer(s), phone, tablets and TV. Why would I want silver discs I have to move from device to device to listen to when I can use Spotify on my desktop or laptop, on my phone (or tablet) with wireless headphones while doing chores, on my phone in the car via BT or aux cable, on my TV via BT soundbar (or directly via my Android TV box)? And any changes I make (add\remove songs from a playlist) are instantly reflected on all my devices!

I get that some people can hear the difference between CD audio and a good MP3 rip. I don't think there are nearly as many as people claim, though. I generally can't, and am more than happy to have ditched physical media. 'Cos in the end, I don't want little silver discs... I want music.

I also think the electronics industry kinda shot itself in the foot with all the different formats. Seems like as soon as people switched their collections from vinyl\cassette to CD... here comes MiniDisc! Don't you wanna ditch all the CDs you just bought for a new format? But don't get too attached to MiniDisc, 'cos here comes SACD! Then DVD-Audio! Then Hi-MD! Then BD-Audio! No wonder consumers got format fatigue - especially when those formats really only matter when you're actively listening to music over a really nice set of speakers in a controlled environment or with a really good pair of headphones... which no one does any more.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 02-19-18 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Cleaned up some text. Also "sliver" isn't "silver".
Old 02-15-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cheers,
Sid
Great write-up, couldn't agree more. I'm a vinyl addict now, it's so much better than an iPod. But I haven't forgotten about my cd's, I upgraded to an Oppo recently, and do exactly as you say, pick a few cd's to bring in the car each week, and I dedicate Mondays for some cd Oppo spinning at home, as my Orbit has been getting a huge workout the rest of the week where I spin 20-40 records a week..

Physical media ain't going anywhere, and it's still good times finding plenty of good stuff at flea markets, garage sales and even indie record store used bins.

Amazon has upped the game with Vinyl as well, bought the new B0rns last week for $14 and I thought that was a pretty fair amount for new vinyl. I will sample on Spotify first, but if I like it, I will see if a new artist will crack the $15 barrier at Amazon and away we go...
Old 02-16-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

...A vinyl album makes you sit down and listen. You get four or five songs, then you have to get up and flip it for the 2nd act. There is more involvement when listening to a record...
This pretty much sums up why physical media is dead, and alive all in one quote. Many people don't want that involvement. They want background music for their drive, or chores, or whatever. A few folks mentioned that music for many people, is not what it was, its something different than that involved thing it used to be. Singles, hits and playlists are more "important" to some, than a great album or experience.

I love vinyl for just what you said, its more of a planned actual LISTEN, than just background music.
Old 02-17-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 837 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
This pretty much sums up why physical media is dead, and alive all in one quote. Many people don't want that involvement. They want background music for their drive, or chores, or whatever. A few folks mentioned that music for many people, is not what it was, its something different than that involved thing it used to be. Singles, hits and playlists are more "important" to some, than a great album or experience.

I love vinyl for just what you said, its more of a planned actual LISTEN, than just background music.
While I agree that most people use music for background listening, I think people are overstating vinyls importance in the music-listening experience.

I play music through a "music server" (HAP-Z1ES) and I usually sit and actually listen to the music, and I know people who always listen to vinyl while doing other things (reading, chores, watching TV, laying new flooring, etc). Getting up to flip the side over doesn't make you more involved with the music - it's just a task you have with the limitations of the format.
Old 02-17-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I also think the electronics industry kinda shot itself in the foot with all the different formats. Seems like as soon as people switched their collections from vinyl\cassette to CD... here comes MiniDisc! Don't you wanna ditch all the CDs you just bought for a new format? But don't get too attached to MiniDisc, 'cos here comes SACD! Then DVD-Audio! Then Hi-MD! Then BD-Audio!
I always thought Minidisc was the 8-track of the future. Aside from being able to record (which CDs couldn't do at the time), it had no advantages over CDs- in fact, I think it was the very FIRST consumer format to use compressed digital audio. Certainly no reason to throw out all your CDs and replace with these. Pre-recorded Minidiscs sold quite poorly, though now they seem to go for a bit on Ebay as they're hard to find. The same time they came out, there was also Digital Compact Cassette from Philips, which had digital audio on souped-up cassette tapes and regular cassettes could also be played in the decks.

SACD should have been the next level, but they were overpriced and there wasn't a lot of great content on the format that made me want to buy into it right away. Blu-Ray audio discs have sort of made those obsolete, as they can carry the same sound quality and don't require a specialized player, but of course I'm glad that Oppo players support them along with DVD-Audio. SACDs could also be dual-layered with the 2nd layer being a regular CD playable in any player- that SHOULD have become the new standard, but not all SACDs had the standard CD layer, and in a perfect example of recording industry greed, the hybrid discs required TWO royalty payments instead of the usual one, because they counted it as two separate recordings.
Old 02-19-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
there wasn't a lot of great content on the format that made me want to buy into it right away.
Heh. I always wondered why, any time there's a new format, record labels trot out the same damn 20 albums they've released over and over again. Hey, record labels, I didn't buy The Doors or Dark Side of the Moon or Brothers in Arms on CD, or Audio Fidelity 24k gold CD, or MiniDisc, or cassette or even vinyl... what makes you think I want it on SACD? Kinda makes you wonder how they're gonna roll out new formats 20 years from now, when all the classic rock fans are dead.
Old 02-19-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Heh. I always wondered why, any time there's a new format, record labels trot out the same damn 20 albums they've released over and over again. Hey, record labels, I didn't buy The Doors or Dark Side of the Moon or Brothers in Arms on CD, or Audio Fidelity 24k gold CD, or MiniDisc, or cassette or even vinyl... what makes you think I want it on SACD? Kinda makes you wonder how they're gonna roll out new formats 20 years from now, when all the classic rock fans are dead.
I'm not going to be dead 20 years from now.

I plan on still being here 40 years from now. I'm too stubborn to die!!