Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great Interview with Quincy Jones

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Covers everything from who really killed Kennedy to what's lacking in modern music.

Ever since I got back into collecting and listening to film scores a couple years, Quincy's film music has been one of the most surprising and enjoyable discoveries for me.

well worth the read here

You worked with Michael Jackson more than anyone he wasn’t related to. What’s something people don’t understand about him?
I hate to get into this publicly, but Michael stole a lot of stuff. He stole a lot of songs. [Donna Summer’s] “State of IndependenceOriginally written by Vangelis and longtime Yes front man Jon Anderson, “State of Independence” was recorded by Donna Summer in 1982. Jones produced Summer’s version, Michael Jackson helped out on backing vocals, and the song’s central riff does sound awfully similar (albeit faster) to the iconic bass riff on Jackson’s hit single “Billie Jean.” It should also be noted that, last year, Jones won a lawsuit over a royalties dispute against Jackson’s estate. ” and “Billie Jean.” The notes don’t lie, man. He was as Machiavellian as they come.

How so?
Greedy, man. Greedy. “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough” — Greg Phillinganes wrote the c sectionPhillinganes, an in-demand studio keyboardist, played on a handful of Jackson-Jones collaborations, including the 1979 album Off the Wall, from which “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” comes. . Michael should’ve given him 10 percent of the song. Wouldn’t do it.

What about outside of music? What’s misunderstood about Michael?
I used to kill him about the plastic surgery, man. He’d always justify it and say it was because of some disease he had. Bullshit.
...and that's just the opening volley.
Old 02-07-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
In Conversation: Quincy Jones.

Well worth the read. He says some very interesting things like knowing who killed JFK to claiming he used to date Ivanka Trump.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quinc...versation.html
Old 02-08-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Great Interview with Quincy Jones

My favorite Q&A quote in that piece:

Again, when you say film composers are lazy, what does that mean, exactly, in this context?
It means they’re not going back and listening to what Bernard Herrmann did.
Old 02-08-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

That is a great fucking interview. Damn, I love his blunt honesty.

What were your first impressions of the Beatles?

That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and RingoJones arranged a version of “Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing” for Starr’s 1970 solo debut album Sentimental Journey, which was produced by the Beatles’ frequent collaborator George Martin. The song, and album, are more than a bit gloopy. had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.

Old 02-08-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

That was one of the most interesting interviews I've read in awhile. Clearly a man that is in the twilight of his life/career and does not give a single fuck.
Old 02-09-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: In Conversation: Quincy Jones.

You can tell hes at that age where you no longer give a shit.
Old 02-13-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

How did Michael Jackson steal Donna Summers song, which was released in 1982, and there's a demo of Jackson's Billie Jean dated 1981? And didn't Quincy Jones produce both songs? Why is he claiming that Michael Jackson was the thief?
And wasn't "State of Independence" originally by Jon and Vangelis. The opening baseline or beat is repeated in Summers version but slightly changed up, or at least it sounds that way to me.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-13-18 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a hilarious interview and highly entertaining. Most likely a mix of truth and BS along with the self-aggrandizement. His musical insights ring truest...hard to dismiss his criticisms as typical "old man blasting younger generation." He does recognize some younger performers/composers, but many observers might agree that a lot have ignored the fundamentals.
Old 02-22-18, 11:55 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-23-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds like "they" got to him.
Old 02-26-18, 04:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don’t know what he’s apologizing for. That was a great interview.
Old 02-26-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's Quincy Jones' business to be discussing other people's sex lives. Then he called Michael Jackson a thief, and cited a song that Jackson allegedly stole, when Jones himself produced both.
Not to mention saying this after Jackson, Brando and Pryor are dead.
Old 02-26-18, 09:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah but you actually LEARNED something. You can’t believe every word he says, but you can read between the line and realize that he and Jackson had some bad blood between them, and that Jones didn’t comprehend the strange behaviors and didn’t buy Jackson’s justifications. Most interviews are pure fluff.
Old 02-27-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah but you actually LEARNED something.
You asked why Jones would apologize and I gave you the answer.

But what did I learn? That Quincy Jones is a chatty cathy?
Oh wait, I learned that Richard Pryor allegedly had sex with another person!

You can’t believe every word he says, but you can read between the line and realize that he and Jackson had some bad blood between them, and that Jones didn’t comprehend the strange behaviors and didn’t buy Jackson’s justifications.
So anytime a celebrity is gossiping or seemingly making up bullshit, it's beneficial to us, the public, because that way we know that the person has problems with the other.

What you said has nothing to do with Jones's claims about Jackson stealing a song from a Donna Summers song, when Quincy Jones produced both songs!
He's blaming Jackson while not saying anything about himself.

Most interviews are pure fluff.
It's not an either/or situation. Fluff or gossip girl antics, and no middle ground.

But people like dirt, scandal, even if it slanders other people, is unfair, contains falsehoods, misinforms, etc. Fuck them, right? We the people get to be entertained!
Old 02-27-18, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

"No-playing motherfuckers."