Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Neil Diamond Retires From Touring After Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-23-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...ase-diagnosis/

I'm sure Neil isn't a big story on the forum but he's been in the biz for 50 years. Pretty damn long time.

January 23, 2018

Neil Diamond has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and been forced to announce retirement from touring, as per a new press release on his website, which was shared on Monday (January 22).

"It is with great reluctance and disappointment that I announce my retirement from concert touring. I have been so honored to bring my shows to the public for the past 50 years," said Diamond in the statement. "My sincerest apologies to everyone who purchased tickets and were planning to come to the upcoming shows."

According to the announcement, the diagnosis for the beloved singer, who turns 77 on Wednesday, has made it difficult to travel and perform on "a large scale basis." Diamond's 50th anniversary tour was set to hit Australia and New Zealand in March. Tickets purchased will be refunded. Nonetheless, the singer still plans to remain active in writing, recording and other projects for a long time to come. "My thanks goes out to my loyal and devoted audiences around the world. You will always have my appreciation for your support and encouragement," he continued. "This ride has been ‘so good, so good, so good' thanks to you."

"I am devastated and saddened to hear the news of Neil’s illness and his retirement from touring," said Paul Dainty, President and CEO of TEG Dainty in the statement. "I have had the honor of promoting Neil’s numerous tours in Australia and New Zealand, he is one of the world's greatest artists and we and his thousands and thousands of fans here will miss seeing him tour down under."

Fans had the opportunity to see him perform just last month on Fox's New Year’s Eve With Steve Harvey: Live From Times Square. Diamond will receive the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award from The Recording Academy at the 60th annual Grammy Awards, which will be broadcast live on Sunday on CBS at 7:30 PM ET.
Old 01-23-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Neil Diamond Retires From Touring After Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis

I knew I should have gone to see him when he played here last summer. I've seen him before at least. one of the greats!
Old 01-23-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

There are certain artists that you go see every time you get a chance - B.B. King, James Brown, etc. - because you never know if that might be the very last time. I never guessed that Neil Diamond would be among them. And no, I never got a chance to see him perform live.

I *have* seen B.B. King about 6 or 7 times, and would be happy to see him dozens more times, it never gets old. I saw James Brown once... ONCE... and he passed away a month or two later. I was lucky enough to catch Rush before they decided to stop touring, and of course I've seen Little Feat many times even though two of the founders (Lowell George and Richie Heyward) have since passed. I will be seeing Jeff Lynne and ELO in August, but three of the other four Wilburys have died and I never caught any of them. And now, having never made it to a Neil Diamond show, I know that another opportunity has been lost.

Guess it's time to start a bucket list:
- Aretha Franklin
- Bob Dylan
- Jeff Lynne
- Paul Simon
- Bob Seger
Old 01-23-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Diamond has had an amazingly long and productive career.
Old 01-23-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
There are certain artists that you go see every time you get a chance - B.B. King, James Brown, etc. - because you never know if that might be the very last time. I never guessed that Neil Diamond would be among them. And no, I never got a chance to see him perform live.

I *have* seen B.B. King about 6 or 7 times, and would be happy to see him dozens more times, it never gets old. I saw James Brown once... ONCE... and he passed away a month or two later. I was lucky enough to catch Rush before they decided to stop touring, and of course I've seen Little Feat many times even though two of the founders (Lowell George and Richie Heyward) have since passed. I will be seeing Jeff Lynne and ELO in August, but three of the other four Wilburys have died and I never caught any of them. And now, having never made it to a Neil Diamond show, I know that another opportunity has been lost.

Guess it's time to start a bucket list:
- Aretha Franklin
- Bob Dylan
- Jeff Lynne
- Paul Simon
- Bob Seger
I tried to use that calculation once. In 1989 I only had enough money to see one concert, and had to choose between Stevie Ray Vaughn and Bo Diddley. I figured that Stevie would be around for a long time and went with Bo. Stevie died nine months later.

It looks like the concert I missed was so good that recordings are still for sale today.
Old 01-24-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

I would think, while he's able, he might do a few one-offs.
Old 01-25-18, 08:20 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Old 01-26-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, I didn't know he was still touring. I thought he was just doing a Vegas show.
Old 01-30-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/iamhesaid/?pnref=lhc

Saw this tribute to him last Saturday. It was an amazing show.