Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is everyone using music subscription services these days?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is everyone using music subscription services these days?

Old 01-22-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 174 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Is everyone using music subscription services these days?

I subscribed to Amazon Music Unlimited around the holidays to complement a couple Echos I got the wife for Christmas. For context, I have around 2,200 CDs, though I'd dropped to probably picking up 30 - 40 per year recently. Now, I'm probably just about done buying any. I can stream pretty much anything I want and the ability to download tracks to my phone is great. For the past several years, nearly all of my music listening has been in the car, when jogging or when traveling. As goofy at I thought it would be, being able to ask the Echo to play something specific has greatly increased the amount of music I play around the house. After years of resisting it, streaming has finally won me over.
Old 01-22-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't have a subscription to any music streaming service, I just use whatever is offered for free with limitations - and I only listen sometimes through my tablet while in the kitchen, etc. It's basically just background music.

For real/serious music listening I prefer to use my stereo system with my collection of CD/SACDs I've ripped to my HAP-Z1ES.

Streaming has it's purposes, but the sound quality just isn't there if you're the type to sit and listen to music.
Old 01-23-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 551 Likes on 475 Posts

I really don't need a subscription service, as my music collection is larger and deeper than most of them.

I'll check out a new album on YouTube before deciding if I want the album on CD.
Old 01-23-18, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spotify for me (though I miss Rdio). I have a Prime sub, I do iTunes Cloud Music, but I was not into Apple Music when I trialed that.

I mainly use Spotify for discovery - recommendations from Spotify (which I find to be pretty good), my connected social groups/friends and my own research. Since most Vinyl comes with a digital copy, I tend to pick up a copy of the record with the digital copy of things I really like. I usually purchase a copy direct from the artist website, at a show, or well... Amazon. It's probably only about 2 dozen new albums a year at max.
Old 01-26-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by story View Post
Do you remember back when we were teenagers or kids and had the time to do that? To pour over the liner notes, learn the lyrics, just spend a few hours with an album? I can't remember the last time I did that, even with the new stuff I really like.
Yep. Even better, go with a friend, or group of friends, and listen to that new album.
Old 01-29-18, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I really don't need a subscription service, as my music collection is larger and deeper than most of them.
Really? You have 30 million songs at home? Color me skeptical.
Old 01-29-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
In the niche genres I favor, the streaming services are seriously lacking in depth beyond the biggest names.

My CD and vinyl collection has been built up since the 1980s. It's very...extensive.
Old 01-29-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I have over 400 cds, no real need for the subscription services. I personally find most of my new music from a handful of metal blogs, bangertv on youtube, and most importantly Bandcamp.
Old 01-29-18, 10:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
The strange thing is that while Amazon Unlimited has an amazing breadth and depth, there’s still these bizarre blind spots. I’ve got 100’s of CDs that simply aren’t on there. And my collection is less than 500 CDs.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-29-18 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The strange thing is that while Amazon Unlimited has an amazing breadth and depth, thereís still these bizarre blind spots. Iíve got 100ís of CDs that simply arenít on there. And my collection is less than 500 CDs.
Licensing issues and Amazon deciding that some music isn't popular enough to worry about carrying.