DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Justin Timberlake Announces New Album 'Man of the Woods'. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/642589-justin-timberlake-announces-new-album-man-woods.html)

Sonny Corinthos 01-05-18 10:15 AM

Justin Timberlake Announces New Album 'Man of the Woods'.

Justin Timberlake plans to release a new album, Man of the Woods, on February 2nd. The singer announced the news on Tuesday with a short teaser detailing his thought process behind the album.

The trailer portrays Timberlake as a rugged everyman: He struts through cornfields and snowy vistas and sits alone at night by a roaring fire. "This album is really inspired by my son, my wife, my family, but more so than any other album I've ever written, where I'm from – it's personal," he says in a voiceover.

Very brief snippets of new music play throughout the clip. Pharrell Williams, a longtime Timberlake collaborator, gets the final word in the trailer, describing a new Man of the Woods song as "a smash."

Timberlake's album announcement is well-timed, as the singer is set to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show two days later on February 4th.

The singer will release the first single from Man of the Woods on Friday. Timberlake's last full-length, The 20/20 Experience, was a wildly ambitious double album released in two parts during 2013.

Last year, Timberlake worked heavily on the soundtrack to the movie Trolls. His single, "Can't Stop the Feeling," reached Number One on the Hot 100 last year. Here is the first video from the new album.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-woods-w514845

dex14 01-05-18 05:32 PM

Re: Justin Timberlake Announces New Album 'Man of the Woods'.

I’ll prepare my panties to drop...

spsimmons 01-07-18 01:03 PM

Great song, great video. Can't wait for the rest!

dsa_shea 01-07-18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13239731)
I’ll prepare my panties to drop...

From the dampness, of course.

Inhumans99 01-08-18 06:44 PM

Okay, what am I missing here? I just heard Filthy on Sirius XM Hits One this morning (my first time hearing the song) and I was not impressed. Supposedly these new songs of Timberlake are supposed to make you think of the days when songs like Sexyback were saturating the airwaves, but yeesh...I did not like the song at all.

Edited to add, I admittedly do not have great taste in music, but I enjoy classical (even classical played on an electric violin), some country, a good chunk of hip hop, R & B, Pop, and what you might call adult contemporary (such as Celine Dion's The Power Of Love...I still love that song), but this song did nothing for me.

Sonny Corinthos 01-17-18 08:47 AM

Justin Timberlake Slammed for Holding Listening Party at Prince’s Paisley Park Studios.

During Prince’s lifetime, his Paisley Park was an active recording studio and rehearsal space, hosting sessions or tour prep for Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Madonna, Aretha Franklin, Celine Dion, R.E.M., Neil Young, Jeff Beck, and many others.

Obviously the facility has taken on a different quality in the months since his death in April 2016, when fans gathered outside for days; it opened as a museum in October of last year dedicated to commemorating the artist’s nearly 40-year-long professional career.

Thus, the announcement last weekend of an American Express-sponsored listening session at the studio for Justin Timberlake’s new album, “Man of the Woods,” during Super Bowl week meant that the event sold out almost instantly, but was met with howls of outrage from Prince fans on social media.

“Who the f— is letting Timberlake do his album listening party at Paisley Park? Prince would have never consigned this,” Buttuh roared. “Justin Timberlake disrespected Prince with that weak diss track back in the day and now he’s allowed to perform inside Paisley Park? Disrespect all over again…SMH ,” said Dreaming in Purple. “Justin Timberlake being able to set FOOT in Paisley Park is some f—ery that should NEVER f—ing happen,” wrote Kromshrugulos Michael. “And it wouldn’t were Prince still here… You f—ers is tacky.”

Others took exception to the fact that alcohol will be served (Prince was a teetotaler and at some point forbid alcohol on the building’s grounds).

“Justin Timberlake performing at Paisley Park for $80 a pop and selling liquor there during Super Bowl weekend is ridiculously disrespectful to Prince and his legacy,” wrote ReggieOnTheMove.

There are several positive tweets as well — one fan wrote “Justin Timberlake idolized Prince – and looked up to him and was deeply inspired by him. Prince is always in his own category musically ( nothing compares) and Prince would definitely want him to jam at Paisley and support music ” — but the haters are much louder.

Interestingly, some of the deepest shade came from Keith Harris, music critic at Minneapolis’ City Pages, in an article Monday bearing the memorable headline: “Prince-mocking white guy Justin Timberlake to hold Paisley Park event.”

As Harris recounts, some of the outrage stems from a decade-plus-old back-and-forth between the two singers. At a post-Emmy Awards party in 2006, Prince referenced Timberlake’s hit “SexyBack” by saying, “For whoever is claiming they are bringing sexy back, sexy never left!”

Weeks later, Timberlake presented the award for Best Original Song at the Golden Globes, which was won by Prince for “Song of the Heart” from the animated film “Happy Feet.” Prince was reportedly stuck in traffic, so Timberlake made fun of the artist’s 5’2” stature by bending his knees and lunging upward at the microphone.

Shortly after, Timberlake released a verse on a song by his longtime producer Timbaland called “Give It to Me” that reads: “If sexy never left, then why’s everybody on my sh–?/ Don’t hate on me just because you didn’t come up with it.”

Reps for Timberlake, Paisley Park and American Express did not immediately respond to Variety’s requests for comment.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/j...os-1202665793/

If only Prince had left a Will...

Decker 01-17-18 11:57 AM

I tried to get tickets to his Vegas show. Was in the "Waiting Room" before the tickets went on sale at 10. Got to the Purchase screen just a couple of minutes after they went on sale and they were already sold out of 2 seats together. Weird. Maybe everything got sold via Pre-Sales. :hscratch:

Looks like I need an AmEx card just to buy concert tickets now.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-25-18 07:54 PM

I hope he performs this at the Super Bowl

It is catchy lol

Sonny Corinthos 02-04-18 08:25 AM

Justin Timberlake scraps Prince hologram after speaking to Sheila E.

TMZ reported Saturday that Justin Timberlake’s Super Bowl Halftime performance would feature a hologram of Prince.

The news was met with criticism from friends and fans of the Purple One, who pointed to past comments Prince made scoffing at the idea of such a performance.

Now, according to Prince’s longtime associate Sheila E., Timberlake has personally assured her that there will be no hologram.

“Family, I spoke w/ Justin 2nite and he shared heartfelt words of respect for Prince & the Purple fans,” Sheila E. wrote in a tweet on Saturday night. “I look 4wrd 2 seeing what I’m sure is going 2 be a spectacular halftime show. There is no hologram.”

In a 1998 interview with Guitar World, Prince was asked if he would be interested in performing alongside a digital recreation of a deceased musician.

“Certainly not,” he responded. “That’s the most demonic thing imaginable. Everything is as it is, and it should be. If I was meant to jam with Duke Ellington, we would have lived in the same age. That whole virtual reality thing… it really is demonic. And I am not a demon.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...g-to-sheila-e/