Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Your top ten concerts of 2017

Old 12-26-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your top ten concerts of 2017

So I can't really participate in the top ten albums thread, as despite buying dozens of records in 2017, only two were actually recorded this year. But I did get out to quite a few shows, and here were the highlights.

1. The Dickies 40th Anniversary Show, The Whisky-A-Gogo. The Dickies are my all-time favorite band, and I've seen them at least once a year dating all the way back to 1986. I gotta admit though, a lot of those shows are pretty predictable in terms of set list and even on-stage banter. For this show, they put in a lot more effort than usual with a few guest musicians, pulling some songs from their mid 90s effort Idjit Savant (though I'd hoped they'd represent their 1989 record Second Coming too), and premiering a couple of new songs. With a saxophonist, it was the first time I'd ever heard them play Infidel Zombie. Really a fun show all around. Only possible negative was the absence of drummer extrodinaire Adam Gomez (who was with his wife as she gave birth to their first child). Goldfinger's Darren Pfeiffer filled in admirably, but he's no match to Gomez, easily the best drummer the Dickies have had in their 40 year career.

2. Adam Ant, The Observatory North Park. I've always been an Ant fan, even when he was openly ridiculed by the L.A. hardcore punk scene. He still puts on a hell of a show, and rocks a lot harder than what a lot of those L.A. hardcores do now. This show featured his best album, Kings of the Wild Frontier, played in it's entirety. While I've decried that current craze as lacking in spontaneity, I was happy to hear so many of the deep cuts of that record. And he finished up with at least 45 minutes to an hour of other songs anyway.

3. Marshall Crenshaw y Los Straitjackets, The Casbah. Now, part of the reason I loved this show so much is that it was sold out and I was stuck begging for tix. A guy comes up, tells me he's on the guest list, and I can be his +1. So I get in for free. I offer to at least buy him a drink, and he doesn't even want that. Anyway, a great combination, if not an odd one. Marshall Crenshaw's upbeat power pop backed by a Latino surf band in lucha libre masks. OK. Marshall's voice was strong, and he chose a bunch of his old songs, and some classic covers of Buddy Holly and others from the 60s.

4. Stiff Little Fingers and Death by Unga Bunga, The Belly Up Tavern. A great show from SLF (also celebrating 40 years since inception), if not predictable. They kinda did the same set on their last U.S. tour 2 years ago. But it was the first night of the tour, and Jake Burns' voice was exceptionally strong. This one gets bumped up by the opening act, Norwegian garage outfit Death by Unga Bunga. I became a huge fan after this show, and all my merch dollars were spent at their table.

5. Paul Collins, Til Two Club. A very pleasant surprise of a show. I was not expecting much when I saw the low turnout (less than 30 people, even fewer by the time Paul got on stage), and it was just Paul solo, no backing Beat. But this was one of those "storytellers" shows, where he told the backstory of all his classic songs. Pretty much covered the entire first Beat album (quite possibly THE best power pop album of all time), along with a lot of Nerves stuff. An amazing show that a lot of people missed.

6. Rocket From the Crypt, The Observatory North Park. Not much to say about this one, other than it was my first time seeing these local legends. They rock. Hard.

7. Sloppy Seconds, Soda Bar. I kinda figured this was a cash grab by a band who haven't done much in more than 10 years. And it was. But hey, they had fun and made it a total crowd-pleasing effort, pretty much covering their entire 1989 debut record Destroyed. These guys have never tried being anything more than what they are, and this tour is clearly for the fans.

8. The Primitives, SPACE. This was my most anticipated 2017 show, having bought tickets more than 8 months before the actual show date. I'd have ranked it much higher, if it weren't for the horrendous venue. Poor sound, and a stage that rises little more than 6 inches off the floor. If you ain't right up front, you ain't seeing the band. Especially with a singer that barely pushes 5 feet tall. Still, it was great to finally see this band, who I've been a fan of for more than 25 years. The poor venue, by the way, is why a March show by the always fun Dollyrots doesn't make my list.

9. The Regrettes, Bayfront Park. Another good show that loses points for the venue. An outdoor bayfront festival is not the proper way to see this band. I only wish I'd heard of them earlier, as their previous shows were at Soda Bar and House of Blues Voodoo Room. I prefer those small intimate shows much more. Apparently this band has a large tween following (not surprising, since the singer is barely more than a tween herself), so it was amusing when they started up a mosh pit. Normally when a pit starts, I get the hell out. Getting a little old for that shit. But I didn't even have to move, I barely noticed when the little kids were bouncing off of me.

10. Birdy Bardot Record Release Party, The Casbah. An odd selection, since I'm really not a fan of Ms. Bardot's music. It's "psychedelic soul" as she calls it. I can't see myself ever buying one of her records. But god damn, this girl can PERFORM. I knew I was in for a great show when she was doing her sound check and crooning "Check 1 2 3 4" into the mic. I thought to myself that her sound check showed more talent than most singers display in their actual show. Yes, she's easy on the eyes, but looks only get you so far. Birdy Bardot is a hell of a singer. Just wish I was more into her style of music than I am.
Old 12-27-17, 12:42 PM

Re: Your top ten concerts of 2017

San Diego too?

I didn't get to make 10 this year unfortunately but my top 3 are

Dust Bolt, Power Trip, Obituary, and Exodus at The Observatory North Park - Power Trip put on another great show even with the lead singer obviously sick, and Obituary were fantatic and lived up to my expectations, but Exodus blew me away. After seeing them earlier in the year open for Iron Maiden with sound issues I wasn't expecting much to be honest. The pit was so much fun for this one.

Suntorn, Thanatology, Artificial Brain, Revocation, and Cattle Decapitation at Brick by Brick - Third time seeing Cattle Decapitation and probably the best. The first two times the singer mic volume was kinda low, this time it was mixed perfectly. Revocation were great but the two that stole the show were Artificial Brain and Thanatology.

Exodus, Kamelot, Ghost, Iron Maiden at Glen Helen Amphitheater - As mentioned, sound problems for Exodus through almost the entire (short) set and Kamelot aren't my cup of tea, but Ghost and Maiden delivered with both their sound and their stage show. Amazing concert and the venue was a lot nicer than most amphitheaters I've been too.

Last edited by beavis69; 12-27-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 01:24 PM

I saw about 20 shows, so narrowing down to 10 would be too easy, so here is the top 5 chronologically:

Overkill & Nile at the Concord. One of the first shows from Nile after their singer left the band

Kreator & Obituary at the House of Blues. Kreator is probably my favorite band of all time, but I did really enjoy the set from Obituary

Xandria, Kobra & the Lotus, Once Human at the Forge. I always enjoy listening to female fronted metal

Epica & Lacuna Coil at the Forge. One of the few times that I was impressed by the sound mix at the Forge. The bands obviously brought their own sound guy for this show.

Trivium & Arch Enemy at the Concord. Along with Kreator, Arch Enemy is one of my favorite metal bands, and they put on a great show. Suprisingly, Trivium brought many more fans to this show.
Old 01-02-18, 07:50 AM

1. Nick Cave (Wang Center)
2. Tom Petty (Boston Garden)
3. Lake Street Dive (New England Conservatory)
4. Billy Joel (Fenway Park)
5. Green Day (Centrum)
6. The Mavericks (Lynn Auditorium)
7. Dustbowl Revival (Payomet, Truro)
8. Aretha Franklin (Mohegan Sun)
9. 80's Retro Futura Tour (Lynn Auditorium)
10. Conor Oberst (Prescott Park, Portsmouth)

Honorable mentions: Rik Emmett (Natick Center for Arts), Ann Wilson (Lynn Auditorium), West End Blend/Bela's Bartok (3S Artspace, Portsmouth), Ringo Starr (NJ Performing Art Center), Marc Broussard (Tupelo Music Hall), Ballroom Thieves (Prescott Park). Danielle M & the Junk Thieves (Burren, Somerville), Aaron Neville (Prescott Park)
Old 01-02-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only went to the following this year. All were good:

U2
Iron Maiden
Melvins
King Crimson
Buckingham/Mcvie
Old 01-02-18, 01:08 PM

Iron Maiden
The Flaming Lips
Ghost
Old 01-02-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Sounds (The Fonda Theater)
Julien-K (The Union)
Powers (The Troubador)

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-02-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had my first kid this year, my concert going was cut back extensively.

Top 10 (Chronological)

Ramin Djawadi - Game of Thrones (Verizon Center)
The Flaming Lips (930 Club)
Ween (Sprint Pavilion)
Ween (Pier 6 Pavilion)
James Taylor & Bonnie Raitt (Nationals Park)
Phish - Strawberry Donut Night of The Bakers Dozen (Madison Square Garden)
God Street Wine (Peach Fest)
My Morning Jacket (Peach Fest)
Dead & Co. (Capital One Arena)
Cut Copy (930 Club)
Old 01-04-18, 12:17 PM

Only went to one, so it's easy ARCADE FIRE - EVERYTHING NOW!
Old 01-04-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heh. Only went to four that I remember, so this is easy:

1) Saint Etienne (Bowery Balloom, NYC)
2) Washed Out (The Underground, Charlotte)
3) Sylvan Esso (The Fillmore, Charlotte)
4) Retro Futura Tour (Uptown Ampitheatre, Charlotte)

Saint Etienne wins, 'cos I've liked them for 19 years and finally got to see them live, and in NYC, too. Washed Out comes in second, 'cos I saw him in a small venue, was very close to the stage and like Washed Out more than Sylvan Esso. But Sylvan Esso was the most surprising show of the year - they were really good live. The Retro Futura Tour was better than I expected - Annabella (of Bow Wow Wow), Katrina (of Katrina and the Waves), Modern English, Men Without Hats, English Beat and Howard Jones, all for $15 - just $2.50 a band! They seemed to have their sets and changeovers down pat, so no long delays between acts. Most importantly, everyone seemed to realize that they're a "nostalgia act" now - with the exception of Modern English, no one played any "new" material... just the fun old stuff.
Old 01-04-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In no order:

Midnight Oil (House of Blues, Boston)
Dwight Yoakam (House of Blues, Boston)
Alejandro Escovedo (Shalin Liu, Rockport)
The Selecter (Once Ballroom, Somerville)
The Alarm (Once Ballroom, Somerville)
Retro Futura (Lynn Auditorium)
Chameleons Vox (Middle East, Cambridge)

....yeah, I guess I'm stuck in the past.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-04-18 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
In no order:

Midnight Oil (House of Blues, Boston)
Dwight Yoakam (House of Blues, Boston)
Alejandro Escovedo (Shalin Liu, Rockport)
The Selecter (Once Ballroom, Somerville)
The Alarm (Once Ballroom, Somerville)
Retro Futura (Lynn Auditorium)
Chameleons Vox (Middle East, Cambridge)

....yeah, I guess I'm stuck in the past.
I wish I had seen the Midnight Oil show but I was traveling. Saw them back in the day (Channel, Concerts on the Common) and they were always brilliant. Escovedo at Shalin Liu must have also been amazing, such a great venue to see him at!

(And yes, the Retro Futura tour was better than anyone had a right to expect!)
Old 01-05-18, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only one but it was so awesome - Bryan Ferry, Palace Theater, St Paul
Old 01-05-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I wish I had seen the Midnight Oil show but I was traveling. Saw them back in the day (Channel, Concerts on the Common) and they were always brilliant. Escovedo at Shalin Liu must have also been amazing, such a great venue to see him at!

(And yes, the Retro Futura tour was better than anyone had a right to expect!)
Midnight Oil really rocked. I was a big fan in college during their heyday of the late 80's, but I had never seen them before. Fun show, as I knew about 90% of their set list.

Retro Futura was indeed fun. I liked the fact that for just about every band, they would bring out a member of one of the other bands to play with them for a song or two. Seems like there was good chemistry between all the acts, just having a fun time.

Escovedo was great. I live in Rockport and love the Shalin Liu, but it is a bit of a "high class" venue, and they focus a lot on more "respectable" classical, jazz and world music acts. I got a big kick when he launched into this one

edit: Oh crap, I'm getting old. That show I saw was not in 2017, and it wasn't even in 2016--it was November 2015! I'm losin' it.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-05-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JANK View Post
Only one but it was so awesome - Bryan Ferry, Palace Theater, St Paul
Nice! I saw him in 1994 (the Mamouna tour?) at a small venue in Atlanta. He put on such a great show, and it was SO COOL being 10 feet away from the guy. The best part was, the venue literally backs up to a public street, so performers have to walk a gauntlet of fans to get to their limo\tour bus. Ferry was a total gentleman, signing autographs and chatting with fans for 45+ minutes.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 01-10-18 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I was never Bryan Ferry
Old 01-08-18, 03:09 PM

Guns N' Roses
Queen + Adam Lambert
Radiohead
Mastodon (with Scott Kelly)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Armin Only (Armin van Buuren)
The Rolling Stones
Prophets of Rage
Gorillaz
Run The Jewels