Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2018 Grammy Nominations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2018 Grammy Nominations

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 04:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: 2018 Grammy Nominations

I haven't been interested in the Grammy's since I started hearing 0 music from any source (other than the Classic Rock stations) that sounded good to me. Hell, I pretty much gave up on radio these days, it seems to me like anyone with vocal cords can make noise into a mic and get a recording contract. And it all sucks.
Old 01-29-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Politics + crappier music = my loss of interest. I know all art is objective, but at the same time I feel like one can objectively say popular music was of MUCH higher caliber in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. Heck, even 90s.
People forget until rock & roll broke through How Much Is That Doggie In The and really awful Lawrence Welk type stuff dominated the radio post WW2,it's only through rose colored nostalgia glasses that people associate the 50's with Chuck Berry Elvis,Little Richard etc. Hell even post Elvis a hokey whitened Pat Boone cover of a Little Richard song sold more records then anything he ever did.
Old 01-29-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Politics + crappier music = my loss of interest.
Yep there's a few artists that I enjoy and I was going to watch but when I heard it was probably going to go political I decided to just skip it. I listen to music to relax not to hear politics. That's what MSNBC and Fox is for.
Old 01-30-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
There was only one true rap performance - Kendrick Lamar opening the show -- and it was the best performance of the night. I was surprised that Jay Z didn't perform.

There was some rap/sung collaborations, but not many of those either.
I thought there were a lot of lackluster performances and some awful songs, but too much rap? I don't think so. Too much Hip Hop/R&B maybe.

That complaint about politics has been around as long as I've been watching awards shows (forty years now). When you get performing artists on a stage and give then a platform to speak and a microphone, they will continue to say whatever is important to them. That will never change.
I also thought that the #METOO bit was quite powerful, and I love that Kesha song. Thought the Fire & Fury bit was too much and inappropriate though - and I rarely agree with the Trump White House's position on anything, but I do here.
I agree with you on that but it's gotten to the point that's the whole foucus of the show and the awards are just an afterthought. I get it, everybody hates Trump, (who doesn't) but dang, can the artist or actors dial it down and not let it consume the entire show? There's a reason I don't watch CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.