Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-17-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Figured I'd make a catch-all thread for this amazing psychedelic rock band from Melbourne.

Besides putting out some great records, these guys operate on a different level;
One album was an infinitely looping album, one album was done on a micro-tonal level, with obscure tunings on obscure instruments, another album was a jazz collaboration, etc, etc.

For 2017 alone, they decided to release 5 separate full-length albums. Who does that? These days, we're lucky if a good band puts out one album in five years!

Their 4th album of the 5 was just released, and it's actually FREE!
(check it out here - it's actually one of their more accessible albums... which isn't saying much, but it's probably why they made it free)

What's cool about the way they've given this album away is that, besides MP3s, they've made separate masters for both CD and vinyl, should people want to press their own copies, and there are already all these indie vinyl companies making some wacky limited editions of it.

Speaking of vinyl, they have the most creative vinyl pressings too - their concept album "Murder of the Universe" features a vomiting robot (no, really), so one of the vinyl editions features a vomit-splatter design - it's pretty sweet!
Spoiler:

They also have some of the craziest, most creative videos I've ever seen:

On top of all that, they put on a killer live show - but good luck getting tix, since they play fairly small venues and have a rabid following, their shit sells out QUICK!

Anyhoo, check 'em out! And with the new free album (not to mention their albums are all on youtube), you have no reason not to.

Last edited by slop101; 11-17-17 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

I’ve been thinking anting to hear these guys after I saw they’re releasing their stuff on a label, blood music, that releases a lot of bands I like. Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna get that download and listen.
Old 11-19-17, 12:51 PM

Whoa! Primus and Iron & Wine hopped in a time machine to 1972 and joined up with Camel - prog Heaven!?!

Loved that free album. Went and order the puke variant of Murder the Universe. Been eye balling it since mentioned in the vinyl thread!
Old 11-19-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Murder of the Universe" is probably my least favorite album of theirs, mostly due to it having some excessive narration - being a concept album, it's trying to tell a story, so there's a lot of talking that gets in the way of the music. On one side it's a woman, the other side is a robot.

My favorite album of theirs, so far, is "Nonagon Infinity", followed by "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz".

But I honestly think they're all good to great.
Old 11-19-17, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
"Murder of the Universe" is probably my least favorite album of theirs, mostly due to it having some excessive narration - being a concept album, it's trying to tell a story, so there's a lot of talking that gets in the way of the music. On one side it's a woman, the other side is a robot.

My favorite album of theirs, so far, is "Nonagon Infinity", followed by "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz".

But I honestly think they're all good to great.
Shit. I’m trying to cancel.
Old 11-20-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've wanted a reason to get into these guys because THAT NAME, but now hearing the music and knowing a bit more I am fully intrigued. I'll likely download their discography and go wild for a couple weeks.
Old 11-20-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Shit. I’m trying to cancel.
All their albums in their entirety are on youtube if you wanna sample before getting their vinyl records. Speaking of which, their vinyl records are of impeccable quality, perfectly mastered with good dynamic range.
Old 11-20-17, 12:24 PM

All their albums in their entirety are on youtube if you wanna sample before getting their vinyl records. Speaking of which, their vinyl records are of impeccable quality, perfectly mastered with good dynamic range.
That's awesome! They're actually very well priced too so I am happy to get some - but I wish I hadnt started with their worse. I couldnt cancel in time (first time Prime gets me! lol) I hate talking in albums so we'll see.
Old 11-20-17, 12:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread. Someone mentioned them to me and I forgot to check them out, this was a welcome reminder.
Old 11-21-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tribute to their fellow countryman...

Old 11-22-17, 04:16 PM
Banned by request

This guy from the Steve Hoffman Forums is doing a nice release of the new album on vinyl and is using it as a launching pad for a new record reissue label: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lygondwanaland

With a shipping a copy of the record ends up being $25 which seems fair for a 2x45 LP.
Old 11-22-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This guy from the Steve Hoffman Forums is doing a nice release of the new album on vinyl and is using it as a launching pad for a new record reissue label: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lygondwanaland

With a shipping a copy of the record ends up being $25 which seems fair for a 2x45 LP.
That's pretty cool, and I would've gone for it, but I already went with this one, as Vinyl Moon has really good quality stuff and it's the same price, though a single 33 LP.

There gonna be so many pressing of this record out there, and KG&LW's own label is eventually doing some too.
Old 11-22-17, 09:00 PM
Banned by request

That's pretty cool, and I would've gone for it, but I already went with this one, as Vinyl Moon has really good quality stuff and it's the same price, though a single 33 LP.

There gonna be so many pressing of this record out there, and KG&LW's own label is eventually doing some too.
Yeah, there are a few to choose from. I highlighted that one specifically because it’s the unedited album (apparently the vinyl master was edited for time to fit into a single 33 RPM record), and so they edited back in the missing portions from the CD master, and also because it will help this guy start his new label.
Old 12-03-17, 06:34 PM

So finally heard Murder of the Universe and really dug it!! Especially if ya take it as a spoken word album lol. But that one was like Mars Volta took that time machine and hooked up with Hawkwind - very cool release. So I am wanting more.

Now I’m looking to get “poly blah blah blah” on vinyl. Looking for an affordable one to pop up though.
Old 12-08-17, 04:16 PM

Ive been jamming to Poly a shitload and really like it - contender for album of the year. Amazon finally has a preorder for it at $20 so I preordered! Its from the label Blood Music and I get from them quite a bit. It does not state the variant though so I hope its an awesome one.
Old 12-12-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Their last album was so... last month!

Here are new tracks from their 5th and final album of the year.

*edit: updated bad youtube link

Last edited by slop101; 01-10-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for posting this, never heard of them .. but I am enjoying them now.

Always cool to learn about a new band (or at least new to me)
Old 01-10-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Their fifth and final album for 2017, Gumboot Soup is now available to pre-order from the ATO site.

Vinyl comes in either "greenhouse heat death" or a limited "gumbo stew" colored vinyl...

You can listen to the whole album here on Bandcamp (or on the youtube clip above):
https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/gumboot-soup
Old 01-10-18, 02:57 PM

Damn that concept greenhouse looks awesome!

Ill admit I heard this a few days ago and it was pretty lackluster. It seems nothing has that magic that Poly had
Old 01-10-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Gumboot is made up of songs they recorded for the other 4 albums of 2017 that didn't quite fit in with them - so it's kinda like their "Coda" of unreleased cast-off, so it's not going to be as strong.

Though I still like it better than Murder of the Universe, what with all that narration.

BTW, tickets go on sale Friday for their upcoming US tour - these sell out QUICK!!!

Old 01-10-18, 03:49 PM

Youre probably spot on there. Im hearing the album again and it is very eclectic in themes. And fuck would love to see them live but theyre not stopping awhere in my neck of the woods I will be taking a roadtrip to Texas during summer and would love to catch the Austin show, but thatll be stretching it!
Old 01-10-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ended up getting tix to they San Diego gig (they were on sale earlier than the rest for some reason).
LA's closer, but I figure a trip to San Diego and back on a Friday would be easier than a trip to LA on a Thursday.
Oh, and the capacity for the San Diego venue is only around 1K, as opposed to the Hollywood Palladium, which is almost 4K.

Last edited by slop101; 01-11-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, the LA show, and most others, sold out in like seconds, and yet there's tix left for San Diego, which is way smaller than most of those other venues. Must be due to San Diego being such a shithole...
Old 01-12-18, 12:28 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Wow, the LA show, and most others, sold out in like seconds, and yet there's tix left for San Diego, which is way smaller than most of those other venues. Must be due to San Diego being such a shithole...
I still see tickets left for LA and plenty of other markets. Not sure what you're talking about.
Old 01-12-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They were unavailable earlier this morning when they first went on sale, maybe they added more after the initial rush.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.