Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A Perfect Circle -- Eat the Elephant -- 4/20/18

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Last month, the promise of A Perfect Circle’s much-anticipated return was fulfilled by the release of a new single from the alternative metal band, “The Doomed.” It was APC’s first new single in three years, and seemed to be drawn from an impending full-length release, which would be the group’s first in 14 years. Lead singer Maynard James Keenan wrote in a statement surrounding the single that “A new release is long overdue. In light of this current difficult and polarized social, spiritual and political climate, we artist types need to open our big mouths and share the light a little louder.”

Now, the band has released a video for the single, featuring unusually candid images of all five members of the historically elusive band: Keenan, Billy Howerdel, James Iha, Matt McJunkins, and Jeff Friedl. There’s no performance element or lip-syncing here; the clip, directed by Jeremy Danger and Travis Shinn, is just an eerie and striking document of their faces.

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SDvfbvuJtS8" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...e-doomed-video
Old 02-05-18, 10:28 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: A Perfect Circle -- Eat the Elephant -- 4/20/18

A Perfect Circle have confirmed the release of their first new album in 14 years. It’s called Eat the Elephant and due out on April 20th.

The album contains 12 tracks, including previously revealed teasers “Disillusioned” and “The Doomed”. To coincide with today’s album announcement, they’ve shared a new track in “TalkTalk”. Take a listen below.

Alongside frontman Maynard James Keenan and guitarist Billy Howerdel, A Perfect Circle’s lineup consists of guitarist James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins), drummer Jeff Friedl (Puscifer, The Beta Machine), and bassist Matt McJunkins (Eagles of Death Metal, The Beta Machine). Dave Sardy (Incubus, ZZ Top) helmed the album, marking the first time APC worked with an outside producer.

<iframe width="788" height="484" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-aOyAvbj2Fg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eat the Elephant Tracklist:
01. Eat the Elephant
02. Disillusioned
03. Contrarian
04. The Doomed
05. So Long, And Thanks For All the Fish
06. TalkTalk
07. By and Down the River
08. Delicious
09. DLB
10. Hourglass
11. Feathers
12. Get the Lead Out

A Perfect Circle spring 2018 tour dates:
April 14 Tucson, AZ Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium *
April 15 Indio, CA Coachella
April 17 Santa Barbara, CA Arlington Theatre *
April 18 San Jose, CA San Jose State University Events Center *
April 20 Las Vegas, NV Las Rageous Rock Festival
April 22 Indio, CA Coachella
May 12 Somserset, WI Northern Invasion
May 15 Omaha, NE Baxter Arena
May 16 Columbia, MO Mizzou Arena
May 18 Columbus, OH Rock on the Range
May 22 Birmingham, AL Legacy Arena at the BJCC *
May 25 Pryor, OK Rocklahoma
May 26 Dallas, TX BFD 2018 at Starplex Pavilion

Last edited by dex14; 02-05-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: A Perfect Circle -- Eat the Elephant -- 4/20/18

Sounds good. I'll be buying.

Amazing how Maynard just keeps sleeping on the new Tool record, though...
Old 02-05-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Sounds good. I'll be buying.

Amazing how Maynard just keeps sleeping on the new Tool record, though...
From all the interviews he sounds just as frustrated as the fans. "I can't write lyrics without music".

Last edited by Thrush; 02-05-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm glad there's 12 tracks because I only like one of the three songs released so far (Disillusioned).

What's up with all the God hating shit? First, as much as he hates religion, he without question believes in God - multiple decades of his songwriting proves this. second, these songs border close to something you would hear on a tool album whereas thirteenth step and mer de noms did not.

Oh and the political shit (i.e. eat the elephant) needs to stop - WTF man, just end it in one phrase "he who has the most money wins".
Old 02-10-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Can't fucking wait. Been way too long.

Considering Tool drones on forever with their songs, I'm actually looking forward to this release more than Tool.

Plus, I don't think Tool can come even close to hitting their high mark of Aenima, where ALL the songs were good, and not 10 or 11 minutes of fucking instrumental bullshit.
Old 02-10-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I'm glad there's 12 tracks because I only like one of the three songs released so far (Disillusioned).

What's up with all the God hating shit? First, as much as he hates religion, he without question believes in God - multiple decades of his songwriting proves this. second, these songs border close to something you would hear on a tool album whereas thirteenth step and mer de noms did not.

Oh and the political shit (i.e. eat the elephant) needs to stop - WTF man, just end it in one phrase "he who has the most money wins".

Perfect Circle isn't Maynard's band, though. It's Billy's.
Old 02-10-18, 11:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Maynard’s lyrics have always been political. Always.
Old 02-13-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The outsider, Judith, 3 Libras, Thinking of you.....and a ton more - are not political.

Maynard is in the band, it's either his or half his.
Old 02-16-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't call Disillusioned God hating. It's stating that "The meek shall inherit the Earth" no longer applies, the people with money have all the power now. With Trump as President, it's hard to argue that. Honestly, it's been that way long before he took office, it's just even more obvious these days.
Old 02-16-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The outsider, Judith, 3 Libras, Thinking of you.....and a ton more - are not political.

Maynard is in the band, it's either his or half his.
Not all their songs are political but they are certainly a political band. The entire Emotive album was all about Anti-War.
Old 02-16-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I like their music, though. I won't go see them live. Why, so Maynard can stand in the corner with his back turned or avoid the spot light? A friend saw them last time they were here at the Greek, I think, and said it was an awful show. Great music, but lousy performance.
Old 02-16-18, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I saw them at a festival once, and it was fantastic.
I saw them later at a smaller venue, and yeah, it was pretty lame.
I saw Tool a few times, and they were great, but yes, Maynard basically kept out of the spotlight, which was a bit weird.

I saw Puscifer at a concert hall, though, and it was phenomenal. Best show out of all of them.
Old 02-16-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a perfect circle is NOT a political band - just out of curiosity, why do you think they are?? Yes emotive was emotive (and was a really shitty album). Also, I in no way really care about the politics thing that much, I just rolled my eyes at the title is all.

Maynard has been pulling that "his back to the audience" shit for years now - saw them in concert years ago in box seats - he did it then, people were pissed but they still put on a great show...but yeah, people fucking paid to see you so show yourself. Far as I know, he only does that with tool.

Never could get into Puscifer.

It's funny how we interpret music in different ways, I thought Disillusioned was about needing to put your f'n smartphone down.

Last edited by Rival11; 02-16-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
I wouldn't call Disillusioned God hating. It's stating that "The meek shall inherit the Earth" no longer applies, the people with money have all the power now. With Trump as President, it's hard to argue that. Honestly, it's been that way long before he took office, it's just even more obvious these days.

My brain wasn't working last night when I wrote this. I was talking about The Doomed, not Disillusioned. Sorry.
Old 02-17-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by collven
My brain wasn't working last night when I wrote this. I was talking about The Doomed, not Disillusioned. Sorry.
lol all good
Old 02-18-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Can't wait for the new album. I saw them open for Nine Inch Nails twice back whenever Mer De Noms came out. That was a hell of an overall show.

Maynard just has that voice....amazing/mesmerizing.

I'm curious what does everyone think of the live albums of the studio albums?

I'm heard Stone & Echo but not the ones where the album is played in order.
Old 02-18-18, 10:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Never could get into Puscifer.
To be fair, the only album I actually enjoy start to finish is Conditions of my Parole, minus maybe one song. But of the three Maynard-bands, I felt they put on the best show.
Old 02-22-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

a perfect circle is NOT a political band - just out of curiosity, why do you think they are?? Yes emotive was emotive (and was a really shitty album). Also, I in no way really care about the politics thing that much, I just rolled my eyes at the title is all.
They may not have started out that way but they are a political band now. Between that album cover art and the lyrical content of the first three singles, I'm not sure how you could dispute that.
Old 02-22-18, 03:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I get what Rival is saying. I specifically said they were ALWAYS political, and he's saying no, not in the beginning. That's fair. I consider the songs about religion kinda sorta political, so that's what I was getting at (ie: Judith feels political to me), but yeah... I get it. That's not to suggest that EVERY song is political... just that the Maynard's done the political thing since forever.
Old 02-22-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I'll say it again, they're not a political band. emotive was a shitty album full of political war cover songs I'll give you that.

This new album doesn't indicate they are a full on political band either - if they continue the trend after this album then I guess you can call them a political band (we will probably never see another album though).

Judith? You do realize that was a song about his mothers suffering and frustration over why she remained loyal to God even while she was suffering and dying don't you? It is NOT a political song, it's a personal song about his Mother's (Judith) struggle:

Judith is a truly heart-breaking song if you know much about Maynard James Keenan.

Keenan's mother, Judith, was a devout Christian throughout her life, while Keenan has openly expressed his loss of faith during his teen years. In 1976 (when Keenan was 11), Judith suffered a massive stroke, confining her to a wheelchair.

If you read the lyrics from this angle, it's very clear that this song is all about both finding her admirable for having such faith, but also questioning how it's possible to keep faith when God "took all you had and left you this way".
Old 02-23-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'll say it again, they're not a political band. emotive was a shitty album full of political war cover songs I'll give you that.

This new album doesn't indicate they are a full on political band either - if they continue the trend after this album then I guess you can call them a political band (we will probably never see another album though).

Judith? You do realize that was a song about his mothers suffering and frustration over why she remained loyal to God even while she was suffering and dying don't you? It is NOT a political song, it's a personal song about his Mother's (Judith) struggle:

Judith is a truly heart-breaking song if you know much about Maynard James Keenan.

Keenan's mother, Judith, was a devout Christian throughout her life, while Keenan has openly expressed his loss of faith during his teen years. In 1976 (when Keenan was 11), Judith suffered a massive stroke, confining her to a wheelchair.

If you read the lyrics from this angle, it's very clear that this song is all about both finding her admirable for having such faith, but also questioning how it's possible to keep faith when God "took all you had and left you this way".
Seems like you're trying to convince yourself of that and not us. But to each his own.
Old 02-23-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Seems like you're trying to convince yourself of that and not us. But to each his own.
If possible and if you want to, can you explain why they are though because you haven't at all. I've already given good info as to why they aren't and even showed how one person took a song completely out of context.

I'm not sure why you would say that about me when I'm simply stating that they are not a political band and never have been??? I don't get what I'm missing here??
Old 02-23-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If possible and if you want to, can you explain why they are though because you haven't at all. I've already given good info as to why they aren't and even showed how one person took a song completely out of context.

I'm not sure why you would say that about me when I'm simply stating that they are not a political band and never have been??? I don't get what I'm missing here??
My opinion is that when you release 2 politically charged albums, you are a political band. If the argument is that the lyrical content of their nearly two decades old debut album reinforces an ideology that they aren't a political band, well I just don't agree with that assessment. If you disagree then that's totally fine by me.
Old 02-23-18, 11:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Good songs. More in line with puscifer than anything that APC did in their early years. Feels like it's Maynard driven vs. billy. I do think mjk is on point with his ideals on all these songs. Disconnect, reconnect to reality, be good, change this shit or reap what will be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.