Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

26th Anniversary: Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I & 2

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

26th Anniversary: Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I & 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: 26th Anniversary: Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I & 2

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've always preferred the alt. version of "Don't Cry."

Same here. Don't have much of an issue with it. My understanding (based on an interview) was that Axl more/less came up with it on the fly, after recording the original.
Old 09-19-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The first shipment of these didn't have the usual Parental Advisory sticker but instead one saying "This album contains language that may be offensive to some people. They can f--- off and buy something from the New Age section!"
I still have the "long boxes" with those labels on them.
Old 09-19-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

bigjim25 You must have been rich teenager or a adult if you bought those albums on CD back in 1991.

I bought cassettes back then since CDs were so expensive though when I grew older I bought the CDs for most of the cassettes I had as a teenager.
Old 09-19-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Columbia House was our friend.
Old 09-19-17, 05:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I remember a classmate dubbing a tape for me for both of these. I think I got II first and then I a few months later. Pretty much wore out my walkman with these 2 albums that year.
Old 09-19-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well guess I was wrong on the Alt version of Don't Cry. This thread is the first time I have every heard of anyone prefering that version. But that proves my point that one persons filler is another persons favorite song.

Personally i am not that big of a fan of the Izzy vocal heavy songs - You Aint the First, 14 Years, Dust N Bones, etc. In fact for me I would rather listen to My World on a continuous 30 minute loop instead of 1 listen to You Aint the First but to each their own. I like the others ok but they don't compare to some of the other songs on I and II. My favorite songs are the long epics so i would most likely lose out on some faves.

These are my favorites from both that I consider must haves.

Coma
Estranged
Civil War
November Rain
Dead Horse
You Could Be Mine
Yesterdays
Don't Damn Me
The Garden
Don't Cry
Locomotive
Breakdown

This comes out to 80:39 which i think exceeded cd capacity at the time. It may still for all i know. Gun to my head I would drop The Garden to make it fit.

Most of the others I still like or love but those songs are the ones I replay the most and would not want to be lost due to time constraints.
Old 09-19-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Columbia House was our friend.
And BMG. I was a member of both over the years, rotating memberships like some do now with the Disney Movies Club.

There were also used CD stores. For many years I never bought a brand new CD given the prices for brand new discs. Not sure who was trading at the rate they must have been trading, but a couple used CD stores in my area never failed to have a few copies of any new release only a few weeks after the release date. If I was willing to wait I could save big bucks and the discs themselves were usually like new.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-19-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did cds cost back then?
Old 09-20-17, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Tower Records midnight release. Great memories.
Old 09-20-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
How much did cds cost back then?
Usually around $15-16, unless you lived in a small town, then it would be closer to $20.
Old 09-20-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Usually around $15-16, unless you lived in a small town, then it would be closer to $20.
Pretty much. It was amazing when Best Buy opened with some CDs at $12.
Old 09-20-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Man, as a teen I was buying CDs back in the late 80's when they cost $25 a pop here in Canada. Not a rich teenager, just that most of the money I made from after school/summer jobs went towards music (and beer).
Old 09-20-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I was in college when these came out. I liked UYI #2 way better than #1, but agree that they should've just release one album with the better tracks, and left the rest for B-sides or whatever. Would've been an even stronger album than Appetite.

Speaking of which, how come we never got a nice 30th anniversary deluxe release of Appetite this year? It would've been like a license to print money.
Old 09-20-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Speaking of which, how come we never got a nice 30th anniversary deluxe release of Appetite this year? It would've been like a license to print money.
Yeah, it was all but guaranteed.
Old 09-20-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Was I the only one really disappointed in those when they came out? Sure there are a few good songs, but the bad ones are REALLY bad. I've literally blocked most of it out of my memory, very few of those song titles you guys listed seem familiar to me (besides the few that were on MTV constantly). They deserved to break up after releasing that, imho.
Old 09-20-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Was I the only one really disappointed in those when they came out? Sure there are a few good songs, but the bad ones are REALLY bad. I've literally blocked most of it out of my memory, very few of those song titles you guys listed seem familiar to me (besides the few that were on MTV constantly). They deserved to break up after releasing that, imho.
I remember seeing the video for Garden of Eden and wondering if the whole thing was a joke.

I do like some of the deeper cuts on those records, like Coma and Don't Damn Me.
Old 09-20-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Yeah, it was all but guaranteed.
Exactly! What the hell, right? Since when did record companies leave money on the table?
Old 09-20-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

When did 26 become a milestone anniversary deserving of its own thread? Is it because we forgot to do this last year?
Old 09-20-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coma is far and away my favorite track from either of those albums. The other great original songs that became singles got overplayed (Don't Cry, November Rain, You Could be Mine, Yesterdays) such that I'm kind of sick of them. But they are still great songs.
Old 09-20-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Well guess I was wrong on the Alt version of Don't Cry. This thread is the first time I have every heard of anyone prefering that version. But that proves my point that one persons filler is another persons favorite song.

Personally i am not that big of a fan of the Izzy vocal heavy songs - You Aint the First, 14 Years, Dust N Bones, etc. In fact for me I would rather listen to My World on a continuous 30 minute loop instead of 1 listen to You Aint the First but to each their own. I like the others ok but they don't compare to some of the other songs on I and II. My favorite songs are the long epics so i would most likely lose out on some faves.

These are my favorites from both that I consider must haves.

Coma
Estranged
Civil War
November Rain
Dead Horse
You Could Be Mine
Yesterdays
Don't Damn Me
The Garden
Don't Cry
Locomotive
Breakdown

This comes out to 80:39 which i think exceeded cd capacity at the time. It may still for all i know. Gun to my head I would drop The Garden to make it fit.

Most of the others I still like or love but those songs are the ones I replay the most and would not want to be lost due to time constraints.
I could take those songs. I would replace Garden with Get In The Ring just cause it's a good pump up song.

Gun's had a decent run. Appetite, Make the Illusion cds one, and Lies.
Old 09-21-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I loved Get in the Ring at the time and still love it musically. The lyrics are so dated now though. I actually wish they would pull this out and update the rant to be more relevant.

If you look past some of the overproduction and just listen to the actual riffs and music there is some pretty amazing stuff that is even better than some of the riffs on Appetite. Slash really kicked ass on it considering he was playing both rhythm and lead on a lot of the songs since Izzy was already checking out at that point.
Old 09-21-17, 11:38 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
bigjim25 You must have been rich teenager or a adult if you bought those albums on CD back in 1991.

I bought cassettes back then since CDs were so expensive though when I grew older I bought the CDs for most of the cassettes I had as a teenager.
I think they were about $13 or $14 retail. New titles were always on sale. How much were cassettes? Maybe abou $9 I guess. I don't recall too large a gap between cassette and CD. Where they got you was on catalogue albums. You'd want some old Def Leopard album and it'd be $18.99

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-21-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I have II on now and I agree about Get In The Ring being dated but I can get past it. I think the only time I am pulled out of a song by something being dated is the "cruising for a bruising" line from Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.
Old 09-21-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Pretty much. It was amazing when Best Buy opened with some CDs at $12.
I remember that being their big selling point at the grand opening - no CDs (single disc only) for over $12.99, which was a crazy good deal at that time.
Old 09-21-17, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I never thought much of these albums. Appetite was a hard act to follow, but these just felt...off somehow. Too much corporate/MTV influence. The pretentious videos like November Rain didn't help matters much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.