Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV changing the iconic Moonman Statue to a Gender-Neutral Award

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MTV changing the iconic Moonman Statue to a Gender-Neutral Award

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: MTV changing the iconic Moonman Statue to a Gender-Neutral Award

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Of course, it's possible that equal representation is important to MTV's young audiences, who are less tied to gender binaries than the generation who remembers the "glory days" of MTV.

Nah, must be those mythical SJWs who control all of American culture in 2017.
Again though the award itself isn't tied to a gender just by looking at it. It's a space suit. There's nothing about it that specifically relates it to something male. Making the claim it's being changed for equal gender representation is pandering to that crowd. I don't see how there's anything mythical about the SJW crowd. They very clearly exist in modern times. Not that equality is a bad thing at all but there are definitely those people who think that every little thing has to be completely equal and fair even if it's for the most minor things like this that make it irritating.
Old 08-09-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Oh, I so envy you...
I guess I'm envied as well. I had to Google it to find out it means "Social Justice Warrior".

Perhaps the trophy should be called "The Buzzy" for Ruth Buzzi not Buzz Aldrin?

This is already more time I've given to the MTV awards since Kanye interrupted Taylor Swift.
Old 08-09-17, 08:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
there are definitely those people who think that every little thing has to be completely equal and fair even if it's for the most minor things
Would love to see an example of a real person (internet trolls don't count) actually saying exactly that. They definitely exist, right?
Old 08-09-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Would love to see an example of a real person (internet trolls don't count) actually saying exactly that. They definitely exist, right?
Okay admittedly I don't have exact examples but basically any form of social media you're bound to come across people who think that way from time to time. Whether or not they're trolls or believe what they're saying is up to perception but I think there are a lot of them out there.

Also it's not that I'm against equality but I just tend to find a lot of things like this just kind of silly and annoying.
Old 08-09-17, 09:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I would say that people complaining about SJWs outnumber actual SJWs by a ratio of at least 10:1.
Old 08-09-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Think SJWs are bogeymen/women created by Internet conservatives. I know I'm just one person, but I have yet to meet a single one in the flesh.
Old 08-10-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would say that people complaining about SJWs outnumber actual SJWs by a ratio of at least 10:1.
Yeah, that's probably the case. But the definition of what a SJW is tends to be pretty loose. If the fact that the new Star Wars trilogy has a girl as the lead character doesn't set you off in a red-faced rage, you're a SJW.

It's really unfortunate that this nonsense has been infecting so many fandoms over the years that you can't read about or discuss Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, or other things without getting constant complaints about "diversity."

And, on the other hand, you get shit like this from the opposite end: http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-t...a-twitter.html
Old 08-10-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only times I have ever seen the term SJW used have been right after somebody gets called on their shit after saying/writing something disparaging about some minority.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-10-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the only time I really have a problem with it is when people act sensitive to the most minute of things like this. There are actual issues in terms of gender and race equality but silly crap like this where there's really no call for it is where I find it irritating. When seemingly the only reason it's done is to make the people doing it pat themselves on the back I get annoyed with it. Generally I stay out of actual issues which is why I don't post in the political forum but reading stuff like this that's deemed newsworthy gets me.

Also people are probably right about the actual number of SJW people out there. It's probably just something that I see online more frequently than actually ever encounter and I blow it out of proportion. I just get tired of stories like this when there's more important news out there.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-10-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-10-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

And, on the other hand, you get shit like this from the opposite end: http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-t...a-twitter.html
“pg. 163. The Kelts are not a pure race like us. They’re more accepting of intermarriage, and because of this, they’re hopelessly mixed.”

Yes, you just read that with your own two eyes. This is one of the times my jaw dropped in horror and I had to walk away from this book.
Sounds like Harry Potter to me -- imagine if social media derailed that book series. Speaking of social media...
“I have never seen social interaction this fucked up,” [one author] wrote in an email. “And I’ve been in prison.”
Old 08-10-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really unfortunate that this nonsense has been infecting so many fandoms over the years that you can't read about or discuss Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, or other things without getting constant complaints about "diversity."
On the surface the Star Trek thing is really surprising given the amount of diversity that was there right from the start. But when one digs into the details on what they are rallying against now, you realize that it there was always a limit to that diversity. And that is why they will claim to be fans of the franchise yet still freak out about a black female first officer, or too many racial minorities in the crew, or an openly gay character.
Old 08-10-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
Perhaps the trophy should be called "The Buzzy" for Ruth Buzzi not Buzz Aldrin?
She (sort of) played an astronaut once.

Old 08-10-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Also people are probably right about the actual number of SJW people out there. It's probably just something that I see online more frequently than actually ever encounter and I blow it out of proportion.
It most assuredly is.
Old 08-10-17, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The fuck is an SJW?
Single Jewish Woman?

Slightly Jaded Wizard?

Savage Jaundiced Wildling?
Old 08-10-17, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the only gender-neutral trophy that counts, but the Grammys already had it locked up:

Old 08-11-17, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

There's nothing about it that specifically relates it to something male.
You don't see how the Moonman is specifically male? That is a tough code to crack...

I think it's awesome that MTV got rid of the actor/actress distinction. My female friends who act just want to be called "actors". It's one of the few professions that still has this weird gender-specific name stuck to it. The sooner we can get that kind of thinking out of the Emmys, Tonys, Oscars and everything else, the better.
Old 08-11-17, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The name yes. Although was it ever even officially called that? I think it's more of a nickname for the VMA than anything. The statue no. Again it's a spacesuit, it's not like it's got a guy's face on it or anything specifically male.
Old 08-11-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

The name yes. Although was it ever even officially called that? I think it's more of a nickname for the VMA than anything. The statue no. Again it's a spacesuit, it's not like it's got a guy's face on it or anything specifically male.
Presenters would normally say "And the moon man goes to..."

So now they will say "moon person"

That's literally all that's going to change.
Old 08-11-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The fact that this is even an issue means someone should go full 12 Monkeys ASAP.
Old 08-11-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Presenters would normally say "And the moon man goes to..."

So now they will say "moon person"

That's literally all that's going to change.
Yeah it's basically just a nickname that the award has gotten over the years. I guess to me in ways like this society has gotten so sensitive to things that it's kind of ridiculous. It's not like it's something that should be taken as offensive. Should the Tony Awards change the name of the Tony because that's more typically a male name? Females win those too.
Old 08-11-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it's basically just a nickname that the award has gotten over the years. I guess to me in ways like this society has gotten so sensitive to things that it's kind of ridiculous. It's not like it's something that should be taken as offensive. Should the Tony Awards change the name of the Tony because that's more typically a male name? Females win those too.
The Tony award is named after a woman - Antoinette Perry.
Old 08-11-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
The Tony award is named after a woman - Antoinette Perry.
I guess I'm ignorant. Either way do guys (not just straight but those of the gay and trans community) get upset over that then? It just is what it is. It's not like by saying Moon Man it's meant in an offending way. Probably the award earned the nickname because that's what people associate the most famous space mission with and those who were on the moon were men at the time. Why it's MTV's award who knows but it is what it is.
Old 08-11-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does it matter if it changes?

That's the problem - the reaction far outweighs what's being done.
Old 08-11-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
She (sort of) played an astronaut once.

I wasn't aware of that. My defense would have been that she appeared in some music videos. Oh wait...
Old 08-11-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

If anyone cares Katy Perry is hosting the 2017 VMAs which is probably perfect for the gender neutral award since now she has a dudes haircut.