Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Old 05-25-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Chris Cornell dead at 52

Fresh track marks
Chris Cornell had apparently taken more than Ativan before hanging himself, because we've learned he had fresh track marks on his arm when his body was discovered in a Detroit hotel room.

Sources connected to the investigation tell us ... the track marks were "obvious." The singer had a history of using drugs. The toxicology tests will reveal what drugs were found in Chris' system.

The new information is consistent with our story that Ted Keedick, Chris' longtime house engineer and tour manager, said Chris seemed "high" and "f***ed up" during the concert ... hours before his death.

Chris' wife has said her husband had told her he took "an extra Ativan or two."
Old 05-25-17, 04:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

of course it wasn't just the ativan.
Old 05-25-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
of course it wasn't just the ativan.
It was never the Ativan, it played zero role in this. It was bullshit and his wife is full of shit.
Old 05-25-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys know anything about Ativan? It did play a role.
Ativan is described as "Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination."
It's a Benzo that mixed with certain things can be very dangerous. It can be dangerous on it's own.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_ANj4e5RDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-26-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
You guys know anything about Ativan? It did play a role.
I know a ton about it. It had nothing to do with his death. Nothing.
Old 05-26-17, 09:01 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe he told her he took "heroin", and the slurred speech made it sound like "Ativan."
Old 05-26-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I know a ton about it. It had nothing to do with his death. Nothing.
Yet, you never once chimed in on the 7 page discussion in the otter forum about depression which discussed Ativan.

I'm not saying Ativan was the sole culprit here. It was in conjunction with being an addict. Drug addicts should not take Benzos as it is widely known to be a trigger to depression and suicidal thoughts. It's says so right in the list of side affects.
He was popping Ativan like candy and slamming at the same time. I've never known anyone to be suicidal simply because of Heroine. I've got 2 family members who have been hooked on that shit for decades and depression and or suicidal thoughts has never shown up.
Old 05-26-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
Yet, you never once chimed in on the 7 page discussion in the otter forum about depression which discussed Ativan.

I'm not saying Ativan was the sole culprit here. It was in conjunction with being an addict. Drug addicts should not take Benzos as it is widely known to be a trigger to depression and suicidal thoughts. It's says so right in the list of side affects.
He was popping Ativan like candy and slamming at the same time. I've never known anyone to be suicidal simply because of Heroine. I've got 2 family members who have been hooked on that shit for decades and depression and or suicidal thoughts has never shown up.
And I'm supposed to participate in a thread I didn't even know existed? I've said it in this thread multiple times. That's enough.

Stop lumping Ativan in with other Benzos. It's like saying all republicans are bad because Trump.
Old 05-26-17, 05:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

while it is obligated to be listed as a potentiality, ativan usually doesn't cause suicidal ideation like SSRIs, SNRIs, and oh... heroin.
Old 05-28-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Guy was a total poser.
Old 05-28-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Guy was a total poser.
Poser? How u figure?
Old 05-29-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Well he did write "Jesus Christ Pose"...
Old 06-02-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Toxicology Report Prescription Drugs in System.

Chris Cornell had several prescription drugs in his system when he hanged himself in a Detroit hotel room ... according to the toxicology report.

According to the report, obtained by TMZ, the singer had Naloxone (Narcan), Butalbital (sedative), Lorazepam (Ativan), Pseudoephedrine (decongestant) and barbiturates in his system at the time of death. It appears Chris had taken 4 (1 mg) Lorazepam tablets.

We broke the story, Vicky claims she was on the phone with Chris a half hour before his death ... when he began speaking in tones she hadn't heard since he was addicted to Oxycontin 14 years ago. She was so alarmed by the slurring and tone she asked Chris' bodyguard to break his hotel door down.

As we reported, cops observed fresh track marks on Chris' arm. According to the tox report, he had 4 needle puncture wounds on his left arm, but it appears the marks were from EMTs administering Narcan to counteract an opiate OD.

Family sources tell us Vicky and others are angry the medical examiner "jumped to conclusions" Chris committed suicide.

They believe he was so high on drugs he did not really form an intent to kill himself ... he was out of his mind when he put the exercise belt around his neck.

In essence, Chris' family believes this was an accidental death.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/02/chris-...drugs-suicide/
Old 06-02-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Someone I know who works in the medical field told me that 4 mg of Ativan is a lot. A typical dose would be more like .5 mg.
Old 06-02-17, 03:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

4mg at one time is a bit much, especially if given for anxiety, although for short term tx for insomnia 2-4mg is not uncommon, although treating chronic insomnia with habitual benzos is usually frowned upon.
Old 06-02-17, 04:30 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

12:55 PM PT -- Vicky tells us, "Many of us who know Chris well, noticed that he wasn’t himself during his final hours and that something was very off. We have learned from this report that several substances were found in his system. After so many years of sobriety, this moment of terrible judgement seems to have completely impaired and altered his state of mind."

She added, "Something clearly went terribly wrong and my children and I are heartbroken and are devastated that this moment can never be taken back. We very much appreciate all of the love we have received during this extremely difficult time and are dedicated to helping others in preventing this type of tragedy.”
Old 06-02-17, 07:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

my only problem with this theory is that he hung himself.

if he got shit-faced on numerous drugs and alcohol then fell off a building, got in a car wreck, drowned in a pool or tub, fell down a flight of stairs and broke his neck, or something like that, then I could buy it.

but he hung himself. even if he was spurred on by the drugs, even contemplating doing such a thing mustv'e been rooted in some deep seeded depression.
Old 06-02-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Someone above mentioned track marks, but in the article it says it was from the EMT's giving shots of something while trying to revive him.
Old 06-06-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ativan is the main culprit here.
Old 06-07-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

suicide is the main culprit here
Old 06-20-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-13-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm still sadder than I thought I'd be about this, whatever the reasons behind it. It's always a bummer when it takes a sudden death for you to get a new appreciation for someone's talents, and I've been listening to a lot of Cornell's work lately.

One rediscovery for me has been the first Audioslave album, which I hadn't listened to in years, but it turns out to really hold up very well IMHO and has some terrific, if sad in hindsight, songs like "Show Me How To Live," "Shadow on the Sun" and "What You Are." I've had this one in near-constant rotation in the car the last few weeks.
Old 08-23-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
That is a powerful song and it was played during the closing credits of the Promise.
Old 11-18-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

On November 16, fans can celebrate the recorded legacy of musical icon and singer/songwriter Chris Cornell with the 17-track self-titled album, "Chris Cornell", and a 64-track limited-edition deluxe box set. The first release since his passing in 2017, the album will be made available by Cornell's wife, Vicky Cornell, on behalf of the Chris Cornell estate through UMe.

"Chris Cornell" commemorates his life and legacy not only as a singer, but as a poet and one of the most prolific writers and greatest voices of the modern rock era. Vicky worked extensively with Chris's bandmates and friends to compile a collection of material from the late artist's expansive career, showcasing his contribution to music history with selections culled from the deep catalogs of his three influential bands — SOUNDGARDEN, TEMPLE OF THE DOG and AUDIOSLAVE — as well as songs from his solo career. She turned to producer Brendan O'Brien, who was a trusted partner to Cornell over the years, and Jeff Ament, who created the packaging for "Chris Cornell".

The first previously unreleased track, "When Bad Does Good", was produced, recorded, and mixed by Cornell and was found in his personal recordings archive. The track was a favorite of his and it wasn't until friend Josh Brolin reminded Vicky of the unreleased song that she decided to share it with his fans. The song is also accompanied by a lyric video, which can be viewed below.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chr...r-new-box-set/

Old 11-20-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ My buddy just sent me the youtube link to "When Bad Does Good" the other day. I've got to go get this, though where remains to be seen. (I stopped in Best Buy tonight to look for a particular CD, obviously first time in quite a while, only to find there were no CDs in the store. We won't even talk about the lack of customer service.) Yet another awesome example of the talents of this man.

I told my friend that, as much of a fan as I was while Cornell was alive, not only do I seem to be hearing more of him since his passing, but a wider array of songs as well. And, as sad as it is to say, my appreciation of his wide-ranging talent seems to only have grown since his passing. I wish I'd been a bigger fan of his earlier.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.