Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day Tips

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Record Store Day Tips

Hello you Record Store Day vets. I've never done one but those Bowie exclusives must be mine.

What tips do you have for a Record Store Day newbie?
  • What time to get there
  • Where do stores usually display the Record Store Day exclusives (in front, own section, throughout the store)
  • Any other tips to make the trip a success

Thanks for any insight you can provide
Old 03-31-17, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Record Store Day Tips

Skip it.

It's a shit show and you will most likely end up with nothing that you wanted. I did one RSD and got a couple of things, but it was not all that.
Old 03-31-17, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Find a retailer that also sells them online.
Old 03-31-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Hello you Record Store Day vets. I've never done one but those Bowie exclusives must be mine.

• What time to get there
  • Where do stores usually display the Record Store Day exclusives (in front, own section, throughout the store)

I get there at least an hour before the store opens. Waiting in line isn't much of a drag anymore thanks to smartphones.

Every store is likely to be different, but here at Zia Record Exchange they put everything up front on tables, racks and bins.

Having a short list helps. Last year I got 6 out of 8 titles I wanted and bought the other 2 on eBay.
Old 03-31-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Go the the store a few days before and ask them how they will do it.

I have seen stores that let people in x amount of people at a time, I have seen a store let everyone in line in at once (mob) and what time they will open (usually earlier than normal hours)

If you really really want a particular title, the earlier you get there, the better.
Old 03-31-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, if you really want the title, I recommend getting their as early as you can to be sure. At least do a driveby early. If no one is in line, go have some breakfast and come back.

I am not into vinyl, so Record Store Day doesn't really mean much to me. If they did compact discs, I would be all over it. I went a couple of years ago because Sleater-Kinney was doing an in-store, but it was 3 or 4 hours after opening, so the rush had cleared out somewhat. But the store it was at is VERY crowded on RSD. At opening time, there are usually 200-300 people in line, and they only let a handful in at a time, so it can take forever for those who are farther back.
Old 03-31-17, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The more popular the store, the longer the line. I wouldn't even bother with Amoeba Records in LA. Try a smaller store, contact them in advance, and ask how many copies of the Bowie vinyl they expect to get. Then get there early.
Old 03-31-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It's really too bad; Record Store Day could be a really neat thing, but between the eBay flippers and the restricted supply it's just a scavenger hunt.
Old 03-31-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks all for the tips. I'll ask beforehand at a couple of places to see how they're doing it.
Old 04-01-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Best tip is not to get your hopes up too much. You're probably not gonna get what you want. Most stores only get a handful of the most in-demand titles & they are scooped up by the ebay pigs immediately. Think of it as trying to buy good seats to a concert on Ticketmaster.

It's a shame really, because as Josh said it started out as something really cool. But it's become the antithesis of what it was supposed to be. Instead of introducing people of the simple pleasure of browsing a record store, it's become a really unpleasant experience & the one day I hate being in a record store.
Old 04-01-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had pretty good luck getting the main things I wanted in past years. I am skipping this year because there is nothing I am all that interested in. But yeah, it seems to get worse every year .. though I will say I tried out a different (pretty large) store in Dallas last year that did it really well ... very incredibly organized they had a ton of stock. First one I did was in California, where I was visiting, total free for all.
Old 04-02-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

RSD may not be any good for us collectors, but it's gotta be great for the stores. My favorite local store is totally crammed that day (and I show up in the afternoon), so I feel happy for the owner. If RSD keeps him in business, it's all good by me. But yeah, I couldn't care less about most of the exclusive releases that day.
Old 04-03-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rexinnih

• What time to get there

Depends on where you live and how many people to expect lining up. The "Bowpromo" release has 15,000 copies so I doubt that will sell out in the morning. The "Cracked Actor" is only 5000 which probably means you'll need to be there relatively early (its not THAT limited but there is a large fanbase). My fav record store stopped doing RSD but when they did, there'd be at least 50 people outside in the cold 2 hours before opening.

Every store is different on placement. My RSD venue put them in milk crates along the regular bins so that people could go through single file.

For stuff not that limited, just go to bullmoose.com the Monday following RSD. They usually have tons of leftovers for sale online. There are no tips, its all a crap shoot on whether your store ordered the title you want, ordered enough of the title, or received the title. I used to have three stores I'd hit in succession but I'm down to one now - one went out of business, one stopped doing RSD. My philosophy is just be happy with what you did get.

Originally Posted by Damfino
I get there at least an hour before the store opens. Waiting in line isn't much of a drag anymore thanks to smartphones.
Unless you don't live in Vegas and it's 26 degrees and dark.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's really too bad; Record Store Day could be a really neat thing, but between the eBay flippers and the restricted supply it's just a scavenger hunt.
I think thats the idea. You get lucky on a limited release OR you don't and just hang out and buy something else. eBay douches don't bother me.

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Best tip is not to get your hopes up too much. You're probably not gonna get what you want. Most stores only get a handful of the most in-demand titles & they are scooped up by the ebay pigs immediately. Think of it as trying to buy good seats to a concert on Ticketmaster.
I agree with the sentiment but the "ebay pigs" don't have some magical pathway to the front of the line. You have just as much ability to get the first in line as they do. The Ticketmaster analogy doesn't really work since those tickets are picked up using unfair algorithmic processes.

Originally Posted by Paff
RSD may not be any good for us collectors, but it's gotta be great for the stores. My favorite local store is totally crammed that day (and I show up in the afternoon), so I feel happy for the owner. If RSD keeps him in business, it's all good by me. But yeah, I couldn't care less about most of the exclusive releases that day.
Its good for record stores that don't have good business otherwise. For busy and prosperous stores, it's a pain in the ass that results in dead inventory that no one wants. There are always dozens of titles that are total duds and the store owner gets screwed on it. My fav record store now does RSD with real, vintage and collectable vinyl. He sets aside hundreds of top quality titles for RSD. This is only accomplished by stores with a steady customer base and access to great inventory.

Last edited by CRM114; 04-03-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Completed my first Record Store Day!

Store opened at 9 and got there about 7:45 and was about the 25th in line. More and more started to show up and probably hit over 100 by the time the store opened.

Got everything I wanted and more (Both Bowie exclusives, Iggy Pop live, Lou Reed live) and then went to tier two wants (Cure Greatest acoustic, Robert Johnson collection, Doors live) and few others that caught my fancy.

Had two tables with A-M on one and then the remainder on another.

Fun experience and everyone was working together. Look forward to next year!
Old 04-23-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, I take back everything I said in post #10. Went today (Sunday), the day after & they still had tons of inventory. Everything I wanted was just there for the taking. Plus most of the stuff Rex listed above.

I'm not sure if my store over-ordered or the e-bay flippers stayed home this year. The owner said it was a zoo yesterday. But this was the pleasing experience I always wanted RSD to be.
Old 04-23-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

My problem with record store day is that I usually pick up most of my vinyl at garage sales or used from record stores. When it comes to new vinyl, I haven't the faintest idea on whether or not I'm getting a good deal. What kind of deals are usually offered?