Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ the worst song of all time?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ the worst song of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Is John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ the worst song of all time?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
How the hell is Mr. Jones not the Counting Crows entry on this list? What an absolute insufferable piece of shit song.
Guess they thought it was covered by "Brown Eyed Girl".
Old 10-31-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Guess they thought it was covered by "Brown Eyed Girl".
Nice.
Old 10-31-16, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Some of these are indeed terrible, but most are just overplayed.
Yep, and it's obvious that there are far worse "deep cuts" that are embarrassing even to the artists who did them. And not in a "so bad they're good, way, either. Just plain horrible.

As far as "hits" go, though, you could make up an entire list just from the "soft rock/pop" category(ies):

Tony Orlando: Knock Three Times
Bobby Sherman: Easy Come, Easy Go
Fifth Dimension: Up, Up, & Away
Bobby Goldsboro: Honey
Coven: One Tin Soldier
Bread: Make It With You; Baby I'm A Want You
Stealers Wheel: Stuck in the Middle With You
Christopher Cross: Sailing
Paper Lace (also done by Bo Donaldson): Billy Don't Be a Hero
Burt Bacharach: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

And the list goes on interminably.

Of course, even the greats had their "Revolution #9" moments.

Fleetwood Mac, Stones, Springsteen, & every band had their regrettable releases that wore thin after a few plays...or a few thousand.

Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. Philippians 2:14-16
Old 10-31-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Yep, and it's obvious that there are far worse "deep cuts" that are embarrassing even to the artists who did them. And not in a "so bad they're good, way, either. Just plain horrible.

As far as "hits" go, though, you could make up an entire list just from the "soft rock/pop" category(ies):

Philippians 2:14-16[/I]
That's a pretty good list. You didn't mention the other hit by Paper Lace, The Night Chicago Died. It has the unforgettable chorus of "Na na na na na na na na na na na na na."

Other suggestions are The Ballad of the Green Berets, Seasons in the Sun, and hundreds of novelty songs like "The Streak". Oh, and pretty much every Christmas pop song ever released.
Old 10-31-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
How the hell is Mr. Jones not the Counting Crows entry on this list? What an absolute insufferable piece of shit song.
One of my favorite songs.
Old 10-31-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Of course, even the greats had their "Revolution #9" moments.

Fleetwood Mac, Stones, Springsteen, & every band had their regrettable releases that wore thin after a few plays...or a few thousand.

Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. Philippians 2:14-16
You left off "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast"
Old 10-31-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Coincidentally, today I briefly contemplated starting a thread about Bread, whose music I like to a degree (I only have their best-of album), but I figured such a topic might be derided. I still maintain that "If" is one of the most exquisitely tender, beautiful songs ever recorded.
Old 10-31-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably just as well that you didn't start a thread. On the internet, we all get to pretend we were the cool kids, and Bread is completely uncool.
Old 10-31-16, 06:37 PM
Banned

Hey, Nick, lay off Norm!!!

(I actually still secretly geek out to Guitar Man and Donovan's "Atlantis." And sing along with the bridge to "Yellow Submarine." )

It's sort of like Badfinger in reverse. I like most of their hits & a lot of non-hits but was sick of "Come & Get It" shortly after it was released.

A few more hits that got old quickly from good bands: "Joy To the World" (Three Dog Night) & "Hello, I Love You" (Doors), "The Long Run" (Eagles).

I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. Gen. 9:13
Old 10-31-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was fine with Nick's post, which appeared to cast aspersions on the tendency to ridicule - especially in peer groups - things that are not hip. I have never pretended to be cool or have cool tastes. I like what I like. I believe it was Numanoid whom I joined to vehemently defend the music of the stratospherically uncool Corey Hart, whose lush tunes were an indelible part of the soundtrack to my childhood.
Speaking of Donovan, I'm a fan of some of his music, too. "Catch the Wind" is another song I consider among the best ever. Is Donovan likewise considered uncool?
Old 10-31-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Imagine has a good melody, but the lyrics make me cringe.
This may seem nit-picky, but the lyric of Imagine that really bothers me is the "and no religion too" line.

Not because I disagree with it or anything, it's just so clunky. It seems almost "thrown in" and lacks the poeticness of other lines in a song that is already preachy as hell. That's saying something. Additionally, it's redundant. When a song begins "Imagine there's no heaven..." it's pretty obvious that the song is slagging religion. The line isn't needed. It's like if Joan Jett threw in a line at the end of "I Love Rock and Roll" that goes "and my favorite kind of music is rock and roll".
Old 11-01-16, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I was fine with Nick's post, which appeared to cast aspersions on the tendency to ridicule - especially in peer groups - things that are not hip. I have never pretended to be cool or have cool tastes. I like what I like. I believe it was Numanoid whom I joined to vehemently defend the music of the stratospherically uncool Corey Hart, whose lush tunes were an indelible part of the soundtrack to my childhood.
Speaking of Donovan, I'm a fan of some of his music, too. "Catch the Wind" is another song I consider among the best ever. Is Donovan likewise considered uncool?
Sorry, Norm, I didn't make it clear that I was just joshin'. I thought your post responding to Nick's was a good-natured jape, and I didn't see any intended offense in Nick's, either. As you say, we all have our personal tastes & like what we do, and no one should have to apologize just because our musical standards aren't up-to-snuff according to someone else's more "sophisticated" standards.

I mentioned Donovan due to some of his hippy-dippy lyrics, but the guy had a strong sense of melody & was a free-spirited breath of fresh air (and contributed some great tunes). Heck, McCartney has been pilloried for a lot of his sappy Wings songs, even by his former partner ("How Do You Sleep At Night?"), but I still like a lot of his solo stuff.

And, obviously, a lot of people really liked the pop songs I posted (and still buy oldies CD's containing those songs), otherwise they wouldn't have been hits.

Anyway, I really wasn't criticizing you, nor did I think that you or Nick were being unkind or condescending to other members. Apologies for giving that impression!

Let's all just agree...music is cool!!

A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed. Proverbs 15:13
Old 11-01-16, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paff
This may seem nit-picky, but the lyric of Imagine that really bothers me is the "and no religion too" line.

Not because I disagree with it or anything, it's just so clunky. It seems almost "thrown in" and lacks the poeticness of other lines in a song that is already preachy as hell. That's saying something. Additionally, it's redundant. When a song begins "Imagine there's no heaven..." it's pretty obvious that the song is slagging religion. The line isn't needed. It's like if Joan Jett threw in a line at the end of "I Love Rock and Roll" that goes "and my favorite kind of music is rock and roll".
Well, Paff, I'm glad that you brought that up since I wasn't about to (for reasons that should be obvious). But it is curious that some religious folks love the sentiment of the song (which has a mesmerizing melody) with this stanza clearly being a peaen to athesim:

"Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah..."

It's sort of like the folks who sing pretty break-up songs at weddings or Born in the USA at political rallies...obviously missing the point.

But the article mentioned something similar re: the belief that some people dislike what they see as contradictions (if not outright hypocrisy) between Lennon's life and the lyrics of the song:

Within 48 hours, the bemused Brit, who had only around 1,000 Twitter followers, had received several thousand nominations from all over the world, and Lennon’s ballad was a repeat offender.

“I think it’s the whole idea of talking about poverty and misery, while John was actually hanging around in his palatial New York townhouse,” Carter tells The Post. “It’s the duplicity of the whole thing.”

So you don't have to be typically-religious to have a problem with the "it's easy if you try" idea that everyone can live peacefully together when they were written by a guy who was a mean drunk, who abandoned his first wife and son (whom he rarely ever saw), who was extremely caustic and nasty toward his former song-writing partner & best friend (along with other bandmates & managers), who had a violent temper, who was a repeat adulterer, etc. It's the same with "All You Need is Love," "Give Peace a Chance," and other nice sentiments that weren't practiced by the one preaching them.

(I'm just expressing what I think the guy quoted was implying. Personally, I really admire Lennon's talent and a lot of his charitable efforts and laudable sentiments. And he did seem to be finding some peace with himself and making some amends for his personal shortcomings when he wrote "Imagine.").

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Colossians 4:10

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-01-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
You left off "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast"
And Patches.

If you move over to country music, there's a whole category of really bad songs under the "truck driving" subgenre. Teddy Bear tops that list, but most of them are really, really corny.
Old 11-01-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I fucking love this version of Hallelujah:

Originally Posted by sherm42
Two songs I always hated as complete torture:

Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Oh gawd yes. Fucking terrible.
Old 11-01-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, Norm, I didn't make it clear that I was just joshin'. I thought your post responding to Nick's was a good-natured jape, and I didn't see any intended offense in Nick's, either. As you say, we all have our personal tastes & like what we do, and no one should have to apologize just because our musical standards aren't up-to-snuff according to someone else's more "sophisticated" standards.

I mentioned Donovan due to some of his hippy-dippy lyrics, but the guy had a strong sense of melody & was a free-spirited breath of fresh air (and contributed some great tunes). Heck, McCartney has been pilloried for a lot of his sappy Wings songs, even by his former partner ("How Do You Sleep At Night?"), but I still like a lot of his solo stuff.

And, obviously, a lot of people really liked the pop songs I posted (and still buy oldies CD's containing those songs), otherwise they wouldn't have been hits.

Anyway, I really wasn't criticizing you, nor did I think that you or Nick were being unkind or condescending to other members. Apologies for giving that impression!

Let's all just agree...music is cool!!
Tone is so difficult to interpret online. No hint of an apology needed. I was completely at ease with both Nick Danger's post and your follow-up. I was not derogating either of you at all. And yes, music is a uniting force, from classical, to pop, to whatever. It crosses all borders.
Old 11-01-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
And Patches.

If you move over to country music, there's a whole category of really bad songs under the "truck driving" subgenre. Teddy Bear tops that list, but most of them are really, really corny.
The weird thing is that a soppy song like Patches was by Clarence Carter. He made a career of writing and performing songs about illicit sex.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uCsTLkiw4fU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rk5btc0vlaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Nick Danger; 11-01-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Have you listened to Jeff Buckley's cover? It is haunting.
Buckley's cover of that song is one of my all-time favorites. It never gets old for me.
Old 11-03-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No.
Old 11-04-16, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
No.
Way to read the thread title, not read the first or any other post in this thread.
Old 11-04-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine he's merely responding "no" to the notion of "Imagine" as the worst song ever.
Old 11-05-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The worst song ever is that don't you forget about me song from The Breakfast Club
Old 11-05-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Imagine is such a terrible song that if I had a choice of being able to go back in time to stop Hitler, or to stop Lennon from ever writing Imagine....
Old 11-05-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 11-07-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer
Way to read the thread title, not read the first or any other post in this thread.
The fuck are you taking about? I read the title (a question) and responded. Don't post a (fucking ridiculous) question if you don't want an answer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.