DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Are there any optimistic 20th century composers ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/635402-there-any-optimistic-20th-century-composers.html)

Sogogi110 08-02-16 11:49 PM

Are there any optimistic 20th century composers ?

Hi

Although I can feel elated by some late 20th century works (to me Gorecki's 3rd symphony is close to addictive), I wonder why in our age of extreme comfort, so many composers since Arvo Pärt became famous, write works that enhance anxiety, anguish and gloom ; are there optimistic, enlightening works or composers I may have missed ? I've tried Penderecki, Rautavaara, and many things quoted on this forum but I still find very little material that is so "light-hearted" and "invigorating" as what was produced in Haendel's times when Death wa a daily occurence. Pardon my question if it sounds stupid, I'm quite an ignoramus in Classical Music.If the question has already been asked, please tell me in what sub-forum I can read about it, and I'll delete this thread. Thank you all.

davidh777 08-03-16 01:26 AM

Re: Are there any optimistic 20th century composers ?

Howard Hanson is considered pretty optimistic. It's not Handel, but it's in a 19th-century Romantic style.

Supermallet 08-03-16 11:37 AM

Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" always felt very uplifting to me.

What about Gershwin?

davidh777 08-03-16 12:01 PM

Or Copland

Hokeyboy 08-03-16 01:52 PM

Hamlisch

Ky-Fi 08-03-16 09:27 PM

I'm so ignorant of classical music---I have a several pieces that I'm quite fond of (from Tchaikovsky, Rimski-Korsakov, Beethoven) but I have no context to put them into. I need to study more.

Hokeyboy 08-03-16 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12866334)
I'm so ignorant of classical music---I have a several pieces that I'm quite fond of (from Tchaikovsky, Rimski-Korsakov, Beethoven) but I have no context to put them into. I need to study more.

This is all you need. Professor Greenberg is outstanding; he makes the material accessible and entertaining while never dumbing it down.

The price is steep but if you have an Audible subscription, it's one credit which makes it easily worth the $15/month.

Ash Ketchum 08-04-16 03:56 AM

Ennio Morricone's jauntier scores might be labeled "optimistic," e.g. THE BURGLARS, A FINE PAIR, MY NAME IS NOBODY, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES and some of the themes excerpted on the From Ennio Morricone with Love series of CDs.