Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dan Hicks R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Dan Hicks R.I.P.

Don't know if many people know this guy or not, but I was surprised to read in the LA Times today that he had passed away.

I had one of his albums way back when. "I Scare Myself" was one of my favorite songs of his. His Christmas CD was also very good.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35516102

Singer Dan Hicks, best-known as the lead musician and founder of the 70s acoustic band Hicks and His Hot Licks, has died at the age of 74.

Hicks had been suffering with throat and liver cancer and his wife announced his death on his website.
Old 02-08-16, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Dan Hicks R.I.P.

yeah I haven't heard of him and when I clicked on the thread I thought it was the lead singer of "The Dan Band", the wedding band from Old School who injected profanity into hammy 80's love songs.
Old 02-08-16, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Dan Hicks R.I.P.

I'd heard of Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks but can't think of where. Thought that maybe he had a "one hit wonder" in the seventies ala Commando Cody with "Hot Rod Lincoln". Browsing through his catalog nothing rings a bell.