Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Who should get inducted?
Nine Inch Nails
33.85%
N.W.A.
29.23%
The Smiths
43.08%
Deep Purple
60.00%
Janet Jackson
13.85%
Chic
4.62%
Steve Miller
32.31%
Chicago
35.38%
Chaka Khan
3.08%
The Spinners
6.15%
Cheap Trick
66.15%
The Cars
53.85%
The J.B.s
1.54%
Los Lobos
16.92%
Yes
46.15%
None, they all stink
3.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

I don't agree with rap/hip-hop being included, but since that is ancient history, NWA gets in.

As for the rest:

Deep Purple
Steve Miller
Chicago
Cheap Trick
The Cars
Yes

Would love to see Deep Purple and Yes get as many past members there as possible and play a couple classics.
Old 10-08-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

NWA
The Cars
The Smiths
Deep Purple
Cheap Trick

But I'd be okay with some of the others as well.
Old 10-09-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Ministry should be in before NIN
Old 10-09-15, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do find the rockist argument amusing I'm seeing on various FB pages. People seem to be just fine if a non-rock artist gets inducted in the Hall Of Fame... as long as it was pre-1975 but anything after that falls under pop, r&b, hip hop, etc.... is defecating on the institution? LOL Nobody bats an eye over the fact that Percy Sledge was a 60s soul artist who basically is in the HOF because of one song, yet the same people won't stop bitching about the fact that Donna Summer, Madonna and ABBA are all in there. I know in the rock world hits mean nothing, especially post-2000 where rock music is virtually non-existent on mainstream radio... but its amusing that a handful of soul artists famous for one or two songs max in the HOF is fine to these "if it doesn't sound like AC/DC, it isn't rock" people but god forbid people like Donna, Madonna, ABBA or Janet, all of whom were essentially hit factories in their prime and influenced many pop artists that followed them, get in and it's somehow disgracing their boys club. So Madonna being in the HOF before Deep Purple is a travesty? Then what about The Staple Singers and Percy Sledge in there who had far less impact or hits than Madonna? I mean, is Dave Clark 5 really any more "rock" than ABBA or Donna Summer, yet their place is okay?
Old 10-09-15, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I think the biggest problem is that they're only inducting six acts per year, which covers over five decades of popular music across any number of genres. So you have sixty years worth of rock, pop, punk, metal, r&b, hip hop, country, and disco acts competing for six slots.

They need to either start inducting more acts, either increase the number acts they induct to ten or twelve, and introduce "slots" for non-rock acts (like a pop slot, a r&b slot) so you don't have stuff like Chic and Chaka Khan taking away nominations from actual rock and roll acts.
Old 10-09-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I do find the rockist argument amusing I'm seeing on various FB pages. People seem to be just fine if a non-rock artist gets inducted in the Hall Of Fame... as long as it was pre-1975 but anything after that falls under pop, r&b, hip hop, etc.... is defecating on the institution? LOL Nobody bats an eye over the fact that Percy Sledge was a 60s soul artist who basically is in the HOF because of one song, yet the same people won't stop bitching about the fact that Donna Summer, Madonna and ABBA are all in there. I know in the rock world hits mean nothing, especially post-2000 where rock music is virtually non-existent on mainstream radio... but its amusing that a handful of soul artists famous for one or two songs max in the HOF is fine to these "if it doesn't sound like AC/DC, it isn't rock" people but god forbid people like Donna, Madonna, ABBA or Janet, all of whom were essentially hit factories in their prime and influenced many pop artists that followed them, get in and it's somehow disgracing their boys club. So Madonna being in the HOF before Deep Purple is a travesty? Then what about The Staple Singers and Percy Sledge in there who had far less impact or hits than Madonna? I mean, is Dave Clark 5 really any more "rock" than ABBA or Donna Summer, yet their place is okay?
I believe this pre-1975 mentality stems from rock 'n' roll beginning as counter culture. Anything not Sinatra, Streisand, Andy Williams or country began as counter culture. By the sixties all these non mainstream, "inferior" music genres were mashed into top 40 radio which in reality was counter culture radio. Only young people listed to top 40. So there is a mentality that soul, folk, etc. from these time period are siblings of rock 'n' roll. Look at the diversity of the Woodstock acts. Or Ravi Shankar at Bangladesh concert. During this period it made perfectly logic sense to have Peter, Paul and Mary open for Jimi Hendrix.
Once the mid 70s came along the old culture collapsed and the counter culture became mainstream. Watching the clip of Bowie on Bing Crosby Christmas Special singing "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing illustrates the passing of the wand from one culture to the next.
Once the culture changed there was a break off between rock and pop. Rock retained it's rebellious identity while pop like disco or ABBA became the new "square or uncool music". FM rock stations that had been heavy on album tracks morphed into an alternative rock hits format separate from the AM top 40 pop format. Instead of everybody listening to one station, they were divided into two camps. Those with their radio locked on the Am top 40 station and those locked on the FM rock station.
Along comes MTV and everything gets mashed back together. Madonna video sandwiched between Ozzy and Van Halen videos. But the two camps, rock and pop, did not get back together. Rock and pop no longer had the common bond they shared in the 60s and early 70s of both being identified as counter culture. Both were mainstream.
Woodstock was counter culture
Live Aid was mainstream culture.
Now we've come to the point where everything is so micro-genred that the rock camp can't identify with rap and vice verse.
That's my take on it.
Let 'em all in.
Old 10-09-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the biggest problem is that they're only inducting six acts per year, which covers over five decades of popular music across any number of genres. So you have sixty years worth of rock, pop, punk, metal, r&b, hip hop, country, and disco acts competing for six slots.

They need to either start inducting more acts, either increase the number acts they induct to ten or twelve, and introduce "slots" for non-rock acts (like a pop slot, a r&b slot) so you don't have stuff like Chic and Chaka Khan taking away nominations from actual rock and roll acts.
Well this is true. But it's only been in recent years when disco, hip hop, MTV era pop, etc... started becoming eligible that people really complained. Acts like Yes, Deep Purple, etc... (and artists like Rush, Kiss, Alice Cooper and others who got in 15 years later than they should've) were eligible at the time when they were inducting people like Dave Clark 5, Staple Singers, Percy Sledge, etc... in there mainly for one or two songs.... but it didn't receive the outrage until people like Madonna, ABBA, etc.... got in. I fully understand the "it's not rock" argument, but it would've been more valid had they not been inducting a bunch of non-rock artists from the 60s who were essentially getting in because of one timeless hit for 20 years in advance... whereas at least someone like Madonna in terms of hit records at least was closer to one of the top-tier superstars and whether it was for the best or worst is a big influence on a lot of todays pop, as opposed to had she faded from the charts after 1985 and was essentially getting in because of Material Girl and Like A Virgin.... ala how Percy Sledge is in mainly just because of When A Man Loves A Woman. Some of the 60s acts in there for essentially one song would almost be like them putting Dexy's Midnight Runners in.

Last edited by nothingfails; 10-09-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ABBA? Chic? NWA? It really has become a scenario where one has to wonder what wouldn't be considered for the RnR HOF.
Old 10-09-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I know this has been stated ad nauseum, but they really need to just change the name to "Music" Hall Of Fame.
Old 10-09-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Don't get the hate for Dave Clark Five. They were a legitimate British Invasion rock and roll band.
17 top 40 hits
4 top 10 albums
another half dozen albums in top 40-top 100
More appearances on tv than any other band of that time
They wrote all their own songs
Old 10-09-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Don't get the hate for Dave Clark Five. They were a legitimate British Invasion rock and roll band.
17 top 40 hits
4 top 10 albums
another half dozen albums in top 40-top 100
More appearances on tv than any other band of that time
They wrote all their own songs
I don't know if I like all their material, just bits and pieces I guess.
Old 10-09-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
ABBA? Chic? NWA? It really has become a scenario where one has to wonder what wouldn't be considered for the RnR HOF.
yet all those 60s acts who had zero to do with rock and roll are in the HOF and that's fine

Sorry, Madonna belongs in there more than Percy freaking Sledge, deal with it. Exactly how is When A Man Loves A Woman rock in any sense of the genre?
Old 10-09-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And while I personally am not much of a hip hop fan outside of a few select artists (like Outkast or Kendrick Lamar), I find it pathetic how much people still squirm at rap music as this new fad trend of music that will fade soon, when in reality, we're as far removed from the time Rapper's Delight came out, as rock music was when Smells Like Teen Spirit came out compared to Rock Around The Clock. Were there aging Tony Bennett fans still griping about rock music in 1991? LMAO

36 years is a long time. There is now an audience for "classic" hip hop now. Straight Outta Compton was a very successful movie this summer, NWA are regarded as legends now in hip hop... watching old white men (I'm white myself) still whining about hip hop would be as pathetic as Sinatra fans still complaining about rock music 25 years ago.
Old 10-09-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I think Ministry should be in before NIN
I think Killing Joke should be in before either, but that will never happen.
Old 10-09-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
I believe this pre-1975 mentality stems from rock 'n' roll beginning as counter culture. Anything not Sinatra, Streisand, Andy Williams or country began as counter culture. By the sixties all these non mainstream, "inferior" music genres were mashed into top 40 radio which in reality was counter culture radio. Only young people listed to top 40. So there is a mentality that soul, folk, etc. from these time period are siblings of rock 'n' roll. Look at the diversity of the Woodstock acts. Or Ravi Shankar at Bangladesh concert. During this period it made perfectly logic sense to have Peter, Paul and Mary open for Jimi Hendrix.
Once the mid 70s came along the old culture collapsed and the counter culture became mainstream. Watching the clip of Bowie on Bing Crosby Christmas Special singing "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing illustrates the passing of the wand from one culture to the next.
Once the culture changed there was a break off between rock and pop. Rock retained it's rebellious identity while pop like disco or ABBA became the new "square or uncool music". FM rock stations that had been heavy on album tracks morphed into an alternative rock hits format separate from the AM top 40 pop format. Instead of everybody listening to one station, they were divided into two camps. Those with their radio locked on the Am top 40 station and those locked on the FM rock station.
Along comes MTV and everything gets mashed back together. Madonna video sandwiched between Ozzy and Van Halen videos. But the two camps, rock and pop, did not get back together. Rock and pop no longer had the common bond they shared in the 60s and early 70s of both being identified as counter culture. Both were mainstream.
Woodstock was counter culture
Live Aid was mainstream culture.
Now we've come to the point where everything is so micro-genred that the rock camp can't identify with rap and vice verse.
That's my take on it.
Let 'em all in.

Good post.

The sad irony, and it applies to both rock AND hip hop, and even a little pop to an extent (as in some pop acts who are viewed as more legitimate talents) is that times have sadly changed so radically since the turn of the millennium that almost all rock music is practically off the mainstream map, and even most "respected" hip hop music as well. The 12 year old kids have taken over the industry and it's all suffered. People love to crap on hipsters, but honestly hipsters are the counter-culture of 2015 because they're the only people who aren't mindlessly washing down the Katy Perry's, Justin Bieber's, Taylor Swift's, Nicki Minaj's that top 40 radio has brainwashed a nation into believing is the be-all, end-all of music. Unlike 20 years ago when I was a teenager and nobody really admitted to liking Ace Of Base, the difference now is that all this top 40 stuff is what is "cool" and it's almost more ballsy to admit to liking something else. Rock music is so pushed away from mainstream radio that we now have a generation who views Maroon 5 as their favorite rock band, and those guys make The Bee Gees look like bad-asses. Even the only hip hop music that really goes over now on radio are the ones who have completely watered themselves down to top 40 trends. It said it all when Nicki Minaj and D'Angelo released albums the same week, Nicki's album was typical autotuned pop fluff, while D'Angelo's album was deep lyrically, musically multi-layered, wearing typical r&b influences like Stevie, Marvin and Prince and blending it together and making something that sounds post-modern and the album was almost universally praised by critics with a 95% Metacritic score.... yet which album sold more and had more hits?

It's scary how it's come full circle to the point that rock music is what is uncool and One Direction are the ones who are "cool" to youth when even my generation didn't quite obsess as warmly over Ace Of Base or Spice Girls as todays kids do todays stars. AOB and Spice Girls were acts you didn't acknowledge secretly loving when I was that age.
Old 10-10-15, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I agree about Ace of Base, but the Spice Girls spread faster than an airborn plague. I was too old for it, and wouldn't have dug it anyhow. But make no mistake for a period of roughly 18 months in the late 90's every twelve year old girl on the fucking planet was obsessed with The Spice Girls.
Old 10-10-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The whole thing needs reorganized.

They either need to induct one act per year by decade, or induct one per category. Rock and roll, R&B, pop, etc. Things like rap, soul, country, jazz, blues, etc. should be given a different level of recognition. Lots of rock artists and fans have a deep appreciation for these genres, but they're really outside the scope of a "rock and roll" hall of fame. After all, the Museum of Modern Art in New York doesn't have a Rembrandt on display as an "early influence".
Old 10-10-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chadm
I agree about Ace of Base, but the Spice Girls spread faster than an airborn plague. I was too old for it, and wouldn't have dug it anyhow. But make no mistake for a period of roughly 18 months in the late 90's every twelve year old girl on the fucking planet was obsessed with The Spice Girls.
Well, I was 16-17 when Spice Girls were a thing. Yes, they were popular... with kids. Nobody in high school admitted to it, they were something your younger sibling was into. Same thing with Backstreet Boys and N'Sync a year or two later... HUGE with the adolescent market, nobody over 14 would be caught dead admitting to liking them, and the only people over that age who did like them knew damn well they were a guilty pleasure.

Now its the reverse... I see 20 year olds all over who love Taylor Swift, One Direction, Katy Perry with no sense of irony and guilt, etc.... whereas "rock is dead, nobody likes guitars anymore" as opposed to back then when the tween pop acts were huge with tweens but people high school age and older deemed them guilty pleasures at best.
Old 10-10-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember being made fun of constantly through elementary school and especially high school because my favorite bad was Queen. Times sure have changed.
Old 10-12-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Where's ???

Three Dog Night
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Moody Blues
Bon Jovi
Old 10-12-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Now they are at having a first album released in 1990 eligibility. In the future years, the annual line of eligibility will move through the '90s. And as the number of good bands to nominate each year will really thin out, I think all the great bands that have been wrongly passed over before will start making it in just so they don't have years with ZERO inductees.
Old 10-13-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Now they are at having a first album released in 1990 eligibility. In the future years, the annual line of eligibility will move through the '90s. And as the number of good bands to nominate each year will really thin out, I think all the great bands that have been wrongly passed over before will start making it in just so they don't have years with ZERO inductees.
It only thins out if you only listen to classic rock and think top 40 is the be all-end all of modern music.

Just because you hate Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift doesn't mean they define all that's on top 40 music... they represent music in 2015 the way Debby Boone represented music in 1977
Old 12-17-15, 05:15 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 12-17-15, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Solid list.
Old 12-17-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really hoping this spawns Blackmore's return to Deep Purple. But an appearance for the award might be the best we can hope for. I loved that classic DP lineup up through the "The House of Blue Light" album.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.