Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Where do you stream your music?
Spotify
48.68%
Apple Music
13.16%
Google Play Music
5.26%
Rdio
2.63%
Tidal
1.32%
Pandora
14.47%
Deezer
1.32%
Xbox Music
2.63%
Other (Please post what you use)
14.47%
I buy my music like a real fan should!
22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Old 09-05-20, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I assume Google Music users got the email about that system going away. I installed the YouTube Music app on my tablet and was able to transfer my purchases (mostly free Playlist: The Very Best of the... albums) there. Iím still doing nearly all my listening on Spotify Premium but now and then I use Amazon or Google purchases for the download option.
How do you like Youtube Music so far? I'm holding off doing the move as I understand that there is no 'album view' in Youtube Music (i.e. rather than showing the albums that you have of a particular artist, it lists all the songs of those albums instead).
Old 09-05-20, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
How do you like Youtube Music so far? I'm holding off doing the move as I understand that there is no 'album view' in Youtube Music (i.e. rather than showing the albums that you have of a particular artist, it lists all the songs of those albums instead).
Honestly I made the transfer then got the heck out of there so I havenít actually tried the service yet.
Old 09-08-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I assume Google Music users got the email about that system going away. I installed the YouTube Music app on my tablet and was able to transfer my purchases (mostly free Playlist: The Very Best of the... albums) there. I’m still doing nearly all my listening on Spotify Premium but now and then I use Amazon or Google purchases for the download option.
Yeah, I got it. I followed the steps and did the transfer to YouTube Music steps to save all my playlists over and then switched apps. I actually think the YouTube Music app has a better interface than Google Play Music so I'm okay with the switchover.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (09-09-20)
Old 09-08-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I mostly 'stream':
- My own music via Amazon Music (I uploaded my library back when you could do that, and I still buy CDs with AutoRip from Amazon; other CDs purchased are from the band at concerts, and in the cheapy discount bins/thrift shops)
- SiriusXM on the app and through Alexa devices
- My own music via Google Play Music (I've transferred to Youtube but I haven't really started using it).

If I'm looking to check out a specific song that I don't have, I'll usually go to either YouTube or Amazon.

I've tried Spotify a few times, but that's just not how I listen to music. Pandora treated me better but the things I started with, resulted in very small playlists.

My wife uses Pandora a lot.
Old 09-09-20, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I use Apple Music. I like listening to full albums and singles as they get released. I couldn't give a shit about recommended playlists or any of that algorithm bullshit, so this has worked well for me. $10/month and I can listen to virtually any album when it gets released. I do keep a database of albums that I've added just in case they get removed from the service, I'll know and I can go and buy them if needed.
Old 09-09-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I get Apple Music for free with my Verizon Wireless plan... I would still subscribe if it gets taken away.

Between that and SiriusXM... I'm good.
Old 09-09-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^That's only for six months, right?
Old 09-09-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
^That's only for six months, right?
I'm on last year's unlimited plans. Both my Get More and the additional Play More lines have Apple Music included with no expiration.
The following users liked this post:
John Galt (09-09-20)
Old 09-09-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was only a six month promotion so I never bothered with it. Turns out I've had the no expiration plan all along.
Old 01-13-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Didn't know where else to put this, but I find this type of news extremely concerning in regards to streaming music. This investment fund is basically amazing a huge catalog of music to then corner the market and increase the licensing fees for the music that they own/acquire. Then, in return, streaming services will continue to increase their sub fees. I really hate where this is going.

Old 01-13-21, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Channel I created at Pandora seems to provide some good stuff. Pay for Sirius XM for the car even though I don't drive as much.