Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Originally Posted by CRM114
As for copies floating on eBay - if there are 5000 White Stripes records made and there are 40 on eBay, is that really indicative of everyone flipping records?
When I looked Saturday around noon, There were over 300 of the WS records on ebay, with over 200 already sold. If there were 5000 produced (I have no clue, there was no number on the list) that would mean over 10% were flipped. Sad.

However, On Monday afternoon, I walked into Newbury Comics in Natick and saw 10 or so copies of it on their shelf, at the $39.99 price. I was tempted to buy a copy or 2 to flip myself, but i was sure I'd get burned somehow.
Old 04-23-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But then there are many in this very thread that say they have no record stores anywhere near them. And there are those that would rather spend $150 than deal with the chaos. I agree, the flippers are lame but they DO have buyers. IF someone is annoyed by fllppers so much, whats stopping you from buying a record like everyone else at a record store?
Old 04-23-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ended up getting:

Metallica - No Life 'Till Leather
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
Blitzen Trapper - Live Harvest
Power Glove - EP1
Frank Ilfman - Big Bad Wolves
Junior Brown - Better Call Saul

I believe this is the most I've ever purchased on RSD.

Originally Posted by CRM114
Wasn't that a UK release? Its not the US list.

(BTW, that's lame that employees took 2.)
Usually stores will put a cap on what employees can purchase. With my store we're strictly told that we cannot buy anything to flip. If we get caught doing that we're in trouble. That's as it should be. But, it's kind of one of the perks of working at a record store. I don't think people that work at a record store should be denied buying something that they personally want.

We have three stores total and each store got exactly one Red House Painters box. Getting six boxes was lucky. Putting out four for sale doesn't sound too bad to me. Now, if those guys hocked their boxes on Ebay then yes, they would be lame.
Old 04-24-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree it is a perk of working at a record store. But I liked what Bull Moose did and restrict (supposedly) employees from buying any product until the end of the day. But this box wasn't RSD so I guess regular rules apply.
Old 04-24-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm just glad they're putting out decent numbers of the albums later. 1500 for the box was just a silly number. The first day my store had them available, they weren't holding them for anyone, so I rushed over 30 minutes after they opened and almost missed out on it, and that was at a store that actually got a reasonable amount.

If I'd known there would be a cheaper option later, I may have passed, but I'm kind of a sucker for 4AD art. I've got every single Pixies 12 inch partially because of that.
Old 04-24-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got an email today that Bull Moose took too many orders for The Adventures of Pete and Pete LP, so they had to cancel my order. I'm not pissed, just sad. That is one of my favorite albums.