Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Most You've Ever Spent on a Concert Ticket/ Most You'd Ever Spend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Okay, two-part question :
1) What is the most money you've ever spent per ticket on a concert you've attended? (Face value or secondary market)?

2) What (hypothetically but realistically) is the most you could ever see yourself paying for a concert ticket (keeping in mind you'd probably be buying two tickets)? -- Let's try to keep it to acts that still exist and will or theoretically could still play a show together (i.e. not The Beatles)

For me :
1) I've gone as high as I think $350 for really good tickets for Billy Joel several years ago (face value) - his top ticket price has come down since then and most recently was about $200. I've bought some good but not great U2 tickets for their 2009 tour that were around $300 face I think.
*I "misremembered" the price of the Billy Joel tickets. Think I had such sticker shock about paying $350 for a pair of seats, that I later convinced myself that was the price of each ticket. U2 was actually the most expensive ticket I've purchased, I think. That or the $250 I spent on a single Rolling Stones ticket last tour.

2) I could see myself spending as much as $500 each for a pair of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band tickets if they were good. I would only go higher than that for that Led Zeppelin reunion show they had in 2009. If that had come to Vegas, I would have probably gone as high as a grand for good seats.

Last edited by Decker; 04-15-15 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-12-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: What's The Most You've Ever Spent on a Concert Ticket/ Most You'd Ever Spend?

In before the "no show that costs more than ten bucks is worth seeing" crowd.

The most I ever paid was around $150, and I can't really see myself ever going over that again. For one thing, the number of bands that I am willing to pay arena prices to see can be counted on one hand. I did try to get the higher priced floor tickets for The Rolling Stones this summer, but that was more for investment purposes than any thought I really need to be that close to them.

Was considering the VIP package for around $350 when Rush came around on the Clockwork Angels tour but there was no guarantee of seating except "in the first fifteen rows". I found regular tickets in row 17 for right around $100 during the presale.
Old 04-12-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: What's The Most You've Ever Spent on a Concert Ticket/ Most You'd Ever Spend?

Back in 2004 I spent $250 for tickets to see Kiss/Poison at Irvine Meadows. We had terrific seats and it was great. This past NYE I spent $125 on Banks tickets but those were VIP (seating) and there was an all you could eat buffet along with a champagne midnight drop. I was with the GF, so it was a bit more special than just the normal GA experience.

I don't think I'll do that again, though.
Old 04-12-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped $150 twice - once for KISS at the Pond, the other for Van Halen at the Pond, both floor seats.

The most expensive ticket I've ever received was for Rage Against the Machine at the Palladium in '09. Tix were about $400/ea. since the guy got them on Stub Hub. But he was loaded and didn't care, so he just gave me my ticket.
Old 04-12-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I can't remember the exact amount but I want to say around $320, maybe $330 for a pair of tickets to see Conan O'Brien during his Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television tour. The seats were back a ways on the floor of a theater but the place isn't very large and most of the seating is really pretty decent. Plus it was worth it since that tour was really kind of a one off thing and it was cool to experience. Other than that I spent $153 for myself and another $99.50 for my dad to go see Paul McCartney last year. I wasn't able to get tickets together but had a ground seat.
Old 04-12-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I paid over $100 for Springsteen at Fenway Park a couple years ago. I had never seen him before, and am a reasonably big fan. That's extremely rare for me, though. Most of the bands I want to see are well past their commercial heyday anyways (or aren't massively popular in the first place), so virtually every show I go to is between $20-$45.
Old 04-12-15, 03:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've dropped close to $200 for a Madonna tix.
Old 04-12-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

1) What is the most money you've ever spent per ticket on a concert you've attended? (Face value or secondary market)?

$75 to see Depeche Mode at Madison Square Garden.

2) What (hypothetically but realistically) is the most you could ever see yourself paying for a concert ticket (keeping in mind you'd probably be buying two tickets)? -- Let's try to keep it to acts that still exist and will or theoretically could still play a show together (i.e. not The Beatles)

$100 to see The Smiths
Old 04-12-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I've topped out at around $100 for Prince a couple of times. That's really about my upper limit. If I were to spend $300 or more on a concert, I not only want killer seats, but I want to provide the setlist!
Old 04-12-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Paid more than $100 to see Simon and Garfunkel with my future wife. That's probably the most I'd pay to see anyone.
Old 04-12-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

$160 for U2 on the How To Dismantle tour. We went to the venue without tix, walked up to the window, and they had just released some tickets. We pretty much had to decide on the spot so didn't have time to talk myself out of it. At least they were good seats, somewhere around the 8th to 10th row.

I don't spend more than $50 these days, so that takes me out of most of the large shows. There are plenty of club shows under $50 to keep me busy.

I've seen pretty much all the active artists that I want to see at some point, but There are a few I would probably pay $100+ to see. Talking Heads, Genesis w/Gabriel, Zep.
Old 04-12-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

$350 per ticket face value, plus fees for Madonna on the Confessions Tour. 2 of them.
$250 U2 at Rose Bowl in 2009
Old 04-12-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think I've ever spent over $30 on a concert of any type. I don't think I would go higher than that for the venues and acts I normally go for (until $30+ becomes standard pricing, anyway), but I would probably go higher for a symphony/orchestra performance.
Old 04-13-15, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paid around 130 British pounds to see Kate Bush and Led Zeppelin.

Would spend 1000 euro's for a reunion of Guns N' Roses.
Old 04-13-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I paid a little over 100 for Fleetwood Mac a few months ago.

I'd pay a couple hundred for David Bowie or Neil Young. If Dave Edmunds ever came back to the US I'd drop everything.
Old 04-13-15, 12:55 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

350 to see prince in a small venue. Would absolutely pay it again in a heartbeat.

I like the fact that U2 do GA tix cheap - Love that..
Old 04-13-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Around $100 to see Bob Dylan. That's probably the most I'd pay, since I've grown so tired of the concert experience (other fans).
Old 04-13-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

If you want to count the VIP/Meet and Greet experience (an extra $300/2 people), $453 for Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction. Tickets were $65 a piece without the VIP.
If not, Roger Waters on The Wall tour was $294/pair.

I suppose I would consider roughly the same price for a Gilmour/Waters tour of Floyd tunes. At this point, I've seen about everyone I want to, at least artists that are still alive. Of the ones I still want to see, or would see again, they aren't charging astronomical prices. Typically around the $30 range.
Old 04-13-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I spent $200 not long ago for a front row ticket plus VIP package to see Barenaked Ladies, Violent Femmes, and Colin Hay this summer. That's the most I've spent, and probably the most I would ever spend. I wouldn't have done it if it was just one group or artist.
Old 04-13-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I spent $150 for night 2 of Phish's 2003 reunion run at Hampton Colosseum. Don't regret it at all. I'm lucky that my company has a box at the Verizon Center in DC, get free tickets for shows that way. That's how I saw Roger Water's The Wall, all the seats around me went for $250. After it was over, I could definitely justify spending that much to see the show again, it's just hard to lay down that type of money up front.
Old 04-13-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

1) $80 - Elvis Costello @ Park West, Chicago a number of years ago. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen - so money well spent.

2) I regret not dropping triple digits to see Roger Waters 'The Wall' tour when it came through Wrigley Field a couple of years ago. If he tours it again - no hesitation this time.
Old 04-13-15, 06:52 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I spent about $150ish for The Stones, bucket list. I pay $115 regularly for Springsteen, have seen him 20 times. I would probably pay $200 to see Bowie. Otherwise, tickets I get are usually $45-$85ish.
Old 04-13-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't recall exactly, but I want to say $120-ish for Summer Sanitarium tickets.
Old 04-13-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent $175 on Stones tix today. Crazy. I used to say I'd never see them live because they were past their prime and that was twenty years ago! Like someone mentioned, it's a bucket list concert and I'm excited.

I'd pay that much to see Bowie again.
Old 04-13-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Most ever paid was $200 for Pink Floyd in '94

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.