DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Metric (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/625326-metric.html)

Rypro 525 06-29-06 09:48 PM

Anyone heard of a band called "the metric"?

Basically, I have the much music video awards on in the background (the canadian version of the mtv vma's)and out comes this indie band called the Metric, with this really cute blonde as the lead singer, so i was wondering if anyone else has heard of them (while its on, what happened to nelly fratado? granted she looks great in hd, but her sound is completly different then a few years ago, and the song ain't great and i am not the biggest Timbaland fan)

and while i'm at it, Tricia Helfer's got a great body.(sci/fi nerds know her as a cyon in battlestar galactica)

Metrodub 06-29-06 09:58 PM

I dig em.

The lead singer's name is Emily Haines and she can be found singing on and playing with Broken Social Scene. I like the two albums that I've heard from them.

Atreus 06-29-06 10:48 PM

Metric are great. They are part of the amazing Canadian music scene that's been re-emerging over the past couple years, like Great Lake Swimmers, Broken Social Scene, Feist, Stars (pretty much the entire Arts & Crafts label)

And also they are called Metric without the the.

TripWire 06-30-06 10:24 AM

i liked old world underground, but not this latest album too much.

tofu 06-30-06 11:10 AM

I saw them live at Coachella. They were pretty awesome even with all of their technical difficulties.

maxfisher 06-30-06 11:56 AM

I saw them play with The Stills and Sea Ray at a little local bar a couple years ago. It was a fantastic show and you're right, the lead singer is extremely cute.

Rypro 525 06-30-06 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atreus
Metric are great. They are part of the amazing Canadian music scene that's been re-emerging over the past couple years, like Great Lake Swimmers, Broken Social Scene, Feist, Stars (pretty much the entire Arts & Crafts label)

And also they are called Metric without the the.

we can actually blame the chick from 24 for that, because that's what she called them when introducing them to the stage.

bub2000 07-03-06 12:37 PM

They played a week's worth of shows in Toronto not too long ago. I managed to miss all of them. They sell out pretty quickly up here.

mdc3000 07-03-06 05:43 PM

I've seen Metric live a few times and they can put on a great show (although, I've seen them put on a horrible one too...). I really dig them. They've got a great sound and Emily Haines is pretty cool...some of their lyrics are just OK and kind of childish, but overall, I'd give them thumbs up and enjoy both of their records.

MATT

Rocketdog2000 11-17-09 11:35 PM

Just got back from seeing Metric live

I know a lot of folks here, like me, are digging Metric's latest album Fantasies. Well let me tell you, if you get a chance to go see them on their current tour, by all means do so! I just got back from seeing them on the second night of their U.S. tour, and it was one of the best shows I've seen all year. They played just about every tune I was hoping to hear off the new album, (in fact, nearly the whole thing), as well as classics from Live It Out and Old World Underground.... Just a great, great show! Opening act Band Of Skulls were pretty damn sweet, too.

Here's a link for the tour dates...

http://www.ilovemetric.com/site/tour.html

Daytripper 11-18-09 12:52 AM

Re: Just got back from seeing Metric live

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 9842055)
I know a lot of folks here, like me, are digging Metric's latest album Fantasies. Well let me tell you, if you get a chance to go see them on their current tour, by all means do so! I just got back from seeing them on the second night of their U.S. tour, and it was one of the best shows I've seen all year. They played just about every tune I was hoping to hear off the new album, (in fact, nearly the whole thing), as well as classics from Live It Out and Old World Underground.... Just a great, great show! Opening act Band Of Skulls were pretty damn sweet, too.

Here's a link for the tour dates...

http://www.ilovemetric.com/site/tour.html

I'm a HUGE fan of them, and their latest album. I live in D.C. and can't make their show in Baltimore. Hopefully I'll be able to see them soon in 2010.

Supermallet 11-18-09 02:10 AM

I saw them open for Phoenix at the Greek back in August, and in my opinion they were far better than the headliner (although Phoenix were still good). I urge anyone who's even remotely interested to go see them.

maxfisher 11-18-09 06:34 AM

Saw them open for someone 4-5 years ago (The Stills maybe?) and they were fantastic. I'd love to catch them again, but it doesn't look like they're coming anywhere I could make it to. They're definitely worth seeing live for anyone that enjoys their albums.

auto 11-18-09 07:21 AM

I also saw them open for The Stills a few years ago in Detroit. Judging from the show, should have been the other way around. Whatever happened to those guys?

Rocketdog2000 11-18-09 08:22 AM

For those who saw them open for The Stills, I'm jealous - that would be an awesome double bill. The Stills are still around, and just put out a rather fantastic album - Oceans Will Rise - in 2008.

kristina 11-18-09 11:55 AM

cool! I'm hoping to see them in concert. I love Fantasies, but before the show what other album or albums of theirs should I pick up? Do they have any other albums that have a simular sound to Fantasies?
I love Emily's solo CD. By the way, do they sign autographs after their shows?

EEz28 11-18-09 02:54 PM

Love hearing the raves about the show. Going to see them on the 30th. Can't wait!

U6C84 11-18-09 04:07 PM

Yeah, I'm glad everyone is so positive about them live, since I'll be seeing them on 12/11.

Sessa17 11-18-09 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 9842055)
I know a lot of folks here, like me, are digging Metric's latest album Fantasies[/URL]

I think there last album was their weakest by far, but I'm a huge Emily Haines fan. I've seen her once w/ Metric & once solo. Glad the show was good. Was it sober Emily Haines or was she all drugged up? She usually puts on a better show when she is sober.

Rocketdog2000 11-18-09 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9843394)
I think there last album was their weakest by far, but I'm a huge Emily Haines fan. I've seen her once w/ Metric & once solo. Glad the show was good. Was it sober Emily Haines or was she all drugged up? She usually puts on a better show when she is sober.

Sober as far as I could tell. She owned that stage, and really knew how to work it.

I like all their albums, especially the first - Grow Up & Blow Away - which didn't get a proper release until 2007. I first became aware of them back in 2000 or so, as the title track from that album was being used in a Polaroid commercial at the time, and it made me want to find out who they were. Bought everything they've done since, but I disagree with you on the new album. I think it's their best.

As for the person who asked about autographs, I don't know. Couldn't stick around to find out, as I had to go move my car before it got towed.

Lipid 11-23-09 10:09 PM

How much were they selling CDs for? Hopefully they were $10 and not the traditional high mark-up of $15 some morons try to pull.

Jam Master Jay 11-24-09 12:32 AM

They are going to be here as part of a local radio station's concert series and I want to go to them all and can't decide but reading about Metric bumps it up a bit.

12/7 Passion Pit & Hockey
12/8 Metric & Band of Skulls
12/9 The Bravery & Airborne Toxic Event
12/10 Vampire Weekend & White Rabbits
12/11 Spoon & Black Joe Lewis

mdc3000 11-24-09 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9842266)
I also saw them open for The Stills a few years ago in Detroit. Judging from the show, should have been the other way around. Whatever happened to those guys?

The Stills just finished a CANADIAN tour where they OPENED for Metric :)

Jam Master Jay 03-25-10 12:48 AM

Just had to bump up this thread. I was pretty bummed out to have missed out on seeing Metric back in December but was fortunate enough to be able to catch them this last Monday here in Portland. This was the first time I was able to check them out and they are INCREDIBLE live! Most of the stuff was from Fantasies but there were a few tracks from Grow up and Blow Away & Live it Out in there too. Plus it took me forever to search it out but they also played their track off the upcoming Scott Pilgrim vs. The World Soundtrack, "Black Sheep". Great show, Nico Vega (they were OK) and Codeine Velvet Club (dug them quite a bit, anyone else heard of them?) opened. I would see them again in a second when they come through again.

kstublen 02-22-12 05:32 PM

Metric - Synthetica (06/12/12)

This is a letter posted on the band's site, spoilered for length.

Spoiler:
Dear Everyone Who Reads This,

What a time we are living in. Back in "the day", when only about 10 people including my parents knew the name METRIC, I would write individual letters reporting the latest developments in the band to each of you, delivered by real mail. Now I have adapted my writing to suit a worldwide crowd of unseen eyes. Which is amazing. But to me this is still a letter, not a blog. We have to stop and remember things as they were a few minutes ago because everything moves so quickly. Huge world events transpire, we all react and comment, and then it's as though they never happened. It's hard to prioritize and keep track of what is really going on.

"These are exponential times!", someone shouted at me on this topic. For a while I thought it was only my own life that was speeding by. Then I asked around and the consensus is that pretty much everybody is falling over themselves to match the ever quickening pace. What a relief. I'm so happy I asked! The things you consider ordinary or only related to you will be the most challenging to clearly express and also the most universally true. When I wrote the song "Help I'm Alive", I had no idea how many people would relate to the way I was feeling. I put it out there as a personal statement and ended up finding out that a lot of people understood where I was coming from for the first time.

Spending your whole life being in a band is a confusing thing to get your head around. METRIC has been together for 10 years. I have come to accept certain things about what that means but I still struggle with others. There's this constant sense of gratitude that I get to do what I want for a living, and at the same time an awareness of how insanely hard Joules, Joshua, Jimmy and I have worked, and continue to work, in order to even carry on existing as a band. Especially since we made the move to run MMI ourselves. It's really rewarding, and I like to think we are paving the way for other bands to take control of their art and their careers. I hope we are contributing something valuable.

Jimmy and I spoke on a panel at Harvard recently, (See? I told you being in a band gets weird), with the manager of a Rich & Established band from the recent past (not saying who) along with one of the band members. It was pretty classic. The band member was explaining to the audience why he felt really bad for modern acts like METRIC. He was saying that because of all the developments in the online world, musicians were getting cheated. A valid point.

Then Jimmy chimed in and said, "Look at it from our perspective. You think a band like us would have ever gotten the stamp of approval from a major label without having to become something we're not in order to survive there? We embrace the changes in the way music is being discovered and shared because it frees us from being stuck sucking up to those guys in order to get our music heard. We let go of those old ideas a long time ago and that is why we are successful on our own terms. We have faith that a new system that fairly compensates the artist will evolve out of the listener's sense of value for the music." ... Or something like that.

Then the manager of the band took Jimmy's side--against his own client!-- and the two of them started arguing, with me and Jimmy in the middle passing the mic back and forth between them. Like I said, it was pretty classic. Both really nice guys by the way, who genuinely care about the future of music and feel bad for us that we may be getting the short end of the stick compared to our rock brethren of yesteryear.

This is just one of the many massive ways that being a musician has changed in the past 10 years. Sometimes I romanticize a time when rock and roll didn't require tweeting, but I can't imagine how people used to tour the world without cell phones. So, here we are.

And now, Everybody Who Reads This, it is time for The News.
As you know, we have been working on a new album.
And?

Yes, it is ready.
Ahhh, I know what you're thinking! I can read your mind.
What is the new album called?

SYNTHETICA
What is the release date?

June 12th in Canada and the US. It will vary by up to a few days in the rest of the world.
What does it sound like?

It sounds like the culmination of everything we have done. We've always had a sound in our heads that we hoped to realize and we finally heard it coming back out of the speakers this time.
Where was it recorded?

At our own studio, Giant, in Toronto. And at Electric Lady Studios in NYC. The album was produced by Jimmy Shaw and mixed by John O'Mahony. This is our favorite combination of spaces.
What is SYNTHETICA about?

FANTASIES was all about pushing ourselves out into the world, going to unknown places and shaking off everything familiar. SYNTHETICA is about staying home and wanting to crawl out of your skin from the lack of external stimulation. SYNTHETICA is about forcing yourself to confront what you see in the mirror when you finally stand still long enough to catch a reflection. SYNTHETICA is about being able to identify the original in a long line of reproductions. It's about what is real vs what is artificial.
What else?

SYNTHETICA is about insomnia, fucking up, fashion, all the devices and gadgets attached to our brains, getting wasted, watching people die in other countries, watching people die in your own country, dancing your ass off, questioning the cops, poetic justice, standing up for yourself, sex, the apocalypse, doing some stupid shit and totally regretting it but then telling everyone it made you stronger, leaving town as a solution to unsolvable problems, owning your actions and owning your time.

That pretty much covers it. Does this mean I don't have to do any interviews? More news, tour dates and dispatches from the studio to follow. Just wanted to say hello really, and let you know that we're on our way. love,
emily

p.s. This image was created by Adolfo Natalini & Cristiano Toraldo Di Franca, founders of Superstudio in Italy and pioneers of the 1960's Radical architecture movement. Their visual ideas about the future inspired the sound of SYNTHETICA.

http://ilovemetric.com/img/super_studio.jpg

I didn't see anything posted and did a quick search through the first few pages of the Music Forum. Sorry if someone already posted.

Also, the cover art and tracklist are unavailable at this point, but I'll update once they're available.

---

http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2012/...synthetica.jpg

01 “Artificial Nocturne”
02 “Youth Without Youth”
03 “Speed the Collapse”
04 “Breathing Underwater”
05 “Dreams So Real”
06 “Lost Kitten”
07 “The Void”
08 “Synthetica”
09 “Clone”
10 “The Wanderlust”