DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands or Musicians That Almost Everyone Seems to Like... But I Don't (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/625227-bands-musicians-almost-everyone-seems-like-but-i-dont.html)

dhmac 02-19-15 01:24 PM

Bands or Musicians That Almost Everyone Seems to Like... But I Don't

Have you even had someone recommend a band to you and then you mentioning it to other people and they like them too. So you basically discover that it seems everyone you know likes the band, but you just don't get the appeal?

Or maybe some band that has a song played seemingly everywhere and all you can think is: what the hell is this crap?

(Note that picks that hit closer to home in the DVDTalk crowd are better than ones everyone here already hates)

dhmac 02-19-15 01:31 PM

Re: Bands or Musicians That Almost Everyone Seems to Like... But I Don't

I'll start it off with this band...

Metallica

I just don't get it. I'm amazed at how many friends I have who aren't even metalheads but like them, but I just do not see the appeal. I like nothing I've ever heard from them, not even the song "Enter Sandman".

The Cow 02-19-15 01:38 PM

Bob Dylan

He's a good songwriter, but I do not like his voice.

Paff 02-19-15 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12400388)
Bob Dylan

Came here to post exactly that. And I'll take it a step further; what does "good songwriter" mean? Is it just the lyrics? Musically, I've never heard anything exceptional in a Dylan-penned song.

Lt Ripley 02-19-15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12400388)
Bob Dylan

Add Neil Young to that as well. Constantly sounds like he is about to cry. Play your guitar and let someone else sing.

Lt Ripley 02-19-15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 12400418)
what does "good songwriter" mean?

http://i58.tinypic.com/6y01v9.jpg

Paff 02-19-15 02:12 PM

Now see, as much as Paul Williams annoys the shit out of me, I'll give you that. The songs he wrote for others (and I want to emphasize, for others) have unique melodic structures. It's not just the lyrics.

Lt Ripley 02-19-15 02:25 PM

Yep, Williams knew he couldn't sing them. Wish Dylan and Young did the same. Although I do Like Dylan's voice on Lay lady Lay.

Hokeyboy 02-19-15 02:34 PM

Ahh, don't knock Swan. "Someday Man" was a killer MOR album :up: And 'Rainbow Connection' remains my favorite all-time song, but nostalgia's playing a HUGE role in that judgment.

Lt Ripley 02-19-15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12400487)
Ahh, don't knock Swan.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2n20l5k.jpg

Back on topic a bit, Joy Division is one group I could never get in to.

On the other hand, Steely Dan is a group I did a complete 180 on. Love them now.

Supermallet 02-19-15 02:43 PM

The Ramones
Cheap Trick
Bob Marley
Sublime

As for Dylan, he pushed rock music forward lyrically and musically. I totally understand not liking his voice, but there's a reason he's cited as the most influential songwriter of the rock era.

Dan 02-19-15 02:46 PM

Radiohead

Hokeyboy 02-19-15 02:47 PM

LEGIONS of fratboys overplaying "Legend" for the past 30 years destroyed Bob Marley (and made his estate ridiculously wealthy). Same with Jimmy Buffett and "Songs You Know By Heart".

I don't get why The Beach Boys are heralded as THE greatest American rock band by many. 'Pet Sounds' may have been extremely influential and a technical marvel, but it wasn't THAT good.

Hokeyboy 02-19-15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12400503)

Back off topic a bit, but Jessica Harper in that movie totally does it for me...

http://images.dangerousminds.net/upl...s/100_1022.jpg

Back on topic a bit, Joy Division is one group I could never get in to.
I had a college roommate who introduced me to Joy Division... and promptly made me loathe them because of CONSTANT repetition on our stereo. I'm better about them now. Not a favorite, but when I'm in the mood those albums are fantastic.

On the other hand, Steely Dan is a group I did a complete 180 on. Love them now.
I could never stand Steely Dan until I was stuck on a long drive around 1995, and the only tape we had was "Katy Lied". Ended up loving it, and getting into SD.

davidh777 02-19-15 03:09 PM

I grew up in the "anybody sings a Dylan song better than Dylan" camp, so I listened to Judy Collins and others sing his stuff. But I've grown to really enjoy his recordings. The voice is raspy, limited, and not pretty, but he just seems to capture the right spirit for me. :shrug:

hdnmickey 02-19-15 03:42 PM

Beyond Dylan (which I too believe is overrated) I'm going with the Velvet Underground. Tried to give their stuff a chance and didn't hear what others must be hearing when going about how they are one of the best bands ever.

Obi-Wanma 02-19-15 03:49 PM

I never really got the love for U2. I like a couple of their songs well enough, but I don't get what's so special about them.

Also Coldplay sucks.

dhmac 02-19-15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12400428)

Annie Hall?

dhmac 02-19-15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12400514)
Radiohead

Thank you. That was the next band I had in mind after Metallica.

Some friends think Radiohead are an amazing band. (One friend even thinks they are the best band ever!)

But I simply don't get it. Radiohead isn't bad, they just aren't very memorable (IMO) and they are far more generic sounding than their fans will ever admit. (Well, when they aren't being completely pretentious.)

Maxflier 02-19-15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12400511)
Sublime

:thumbsup:

wendersfan 02-19-15 04:28 PM

The Doors
U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers

beavis69 02-19-15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 12400656)
The Doors
U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers

The exact ones I was going to add. I know alot of bands lyrics make no sense, but Peppers songs are on another level.

Supermallet 02-19-15 04:43 PM

The Doors got better when they became the world's biggest bar band.

rhpsozzy 02-19-15 07:33 PM

Journey: Their songs are just too cheesy for my liking.

Rush: I could never get past the vocals.

Decker 02-19-15 07:39 PM

Yeah, Rush is a good choice. Never found the appeal of their aimless, never ending songs or the awful vocals.

Not a huge fan of most AC/DC stuff either. A few songs are great, but a lot more aren't.