DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   John Carpenter – Lost Themes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/624898-john-carpenter-%96-lost-themes.html)

Giles 01-29-15 11:14 PM

John Carpenter – Lost Themes

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SY300_.jpg

Tracklist:

Vortex
Obsidian
Fallen
Domain
Mystery
Abyss
Wraith
Purgatory
Night

Consequence of Sound album review

Why So Blu? 01-29-15 11:40 PM

re: John Carpenter – Lost Themes

I've got the vinyl on pre-order from Amazon.

islandclaws 01-30-15 12:13 PM

I've been listening to this non-stop for the past week. It's so, so good. I love how Carpenter has utilized his old methods but applied new sounds and techniques, resulting in an album that sounds like an organic progression from his earlier works. The master has returned to show everyone else how it's done.

dhmac 01-31-15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 12380540)

The reviewer attributes the music from The Thing to John Carpenter, but it was Ennio Morricone who wrote that score in a style like Carpenter's. I don't think any music written by Carpenter is even in the final film (although correct me if I'm wrong).

Matt925 01-31-15 09:25 PM

I've had this on my wish list. Glad to hear the good reviews, I'll go ahead and order it. Love his scores.

Geofferson 02-02-15 09:46 AM

Received shipping notification. Should arrive tomorrow :up:

Sample track to wet your whistle:

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/174606737&color=2b0b05"></iframe>

Why So Blu? 02-02-15 12:04 PM

Yup, got my notification, too. It will be here tomorrow.

Why So Blu? 02-03-15 04:44 PM

My copy came in this morning. Will spin it tonight.

RagingBull80 02-03-15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 12382213)
The reviewer attributes the music from The Thing to John Carpenter, but it was Ennio Morricone who wrote that score in a style like Carpenter's. I don't think any music written by Carpenter is even in the final film (although correct me if I'm wrong).

Carpenter and Howarth recorded some additional material that ended up in the film but the vast majority of the score is Morricone.

I'm grabbing my black-swirl copy of the LP tonight. I'm pretty excited about it.

Why So Blu? 02-03-15 09:43 PM

Just spun this and it rocked. It's definitely going on my Top-10 list of the year.

hdnmickey 02-19-16 06:21 PM

Who is up for another round?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...ders-open-now/

islandclaws 02-19-16 06:31 PM

I am!

Just pre-ordered the deluxe edition through Sacred Bones.

And, even better, Carpenter is playing a career retrospective at the Orpheum Theatre in LA on 6/18. Tickets on sale 2/26 @ 10am, presale on 2/25. I'm definitely buying VIP tickets.

inri222 02-19-16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12728253)
And, even better, Carpenter is playing a career retrospective at the Orpheum Theatre in LA on 6/18. Tickets on sale 2/26 @ 10am, presale on 2/25. I'm definitely buying VIP tickets.

Holy shit, he's performing in NYC on July 8. Need to check this out.

For those of you who have not seen Gaspar Noe's Love, there is a sequence in the film in with the theme from Assault on Precinct 13 that is pretty good.

Why So Blu? 02-20-16 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12728253)
I am!

Just pre-ordered the deluxe edition through Sacred Bones.

Oh shit!

stvn1974 02-20-16 03:20 PM

I am listening to the first volume now and can only say bring on the second. Really good stuff.

hdnmickey 02-22-16 12:52 PM

Picked up Lost Themes II over the weekend and gave it a listen this morning. IMO it's as good as the first album. Anybody that loves his soundtracks should pick up both of these "Lost Themes" albums. They really take you back and fit well with the rest of his work.

islandclaws 02-23-16 12:12 PM

How the hell did you pick up II already? It isn't out for almost two months.

Why So Blu? 02-25-16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12733153)
How the hell did you pick up II already? It isn't out for almost two months.

I think he got it confused with the Remixes album.

Why So Blu? 02-25-16 01:36 PM

Tickets are available for presage on Ticketmaster - code is: RETRO

I got mine. I'll be first row Balcony. It's sort of shocking to see the VIP tier tickets. The top of the line, with a front row seat is $325 and that includes the meet and greet.

Too rich for my blood.

hdnmickey 02-25-16 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12735504)
I think he got it confused with the Remixes album.

Nope. Albums leak. Sometimes surprisingly early.

islandclaws 02-25-16 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12735507)

I got mine. I'll be first row Balcony. It's sort of shocking to see the VIP tier tickets. The top of the line, with a front row seat is $325 and that includes the meet and greet.

Too rich for my blood.

Goddamnit. I missed the presale for regular tickets because I for some reason thought it was for packages only. Looks like I'll be jumping on at 10am tomorrow to try for Orch.

inri222 02-25-16 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12735507)

Too rich for my blood.

NYC is a mostly no seat venue with general admission (the floor) $40 & seated mezzanine (behind the floor) $50.

dhmac 02-25-16 08:29 PM

These albums make me think John Carpenter could retire from directing (which may already be the case) and just be a film composer for other people's movies due to his distinctive style of music.

dvduser6 02-26-16 12:07 PM

Just got my pair of tickets for LA. Grabbed a pair of seats in the mezzanine. Should be a great way to take in the mood. I'm very interested in what kinds of merchandise might be available (CD soundtracks from various films over the years, movies, etc.). I wonder if there will be any interesting exclusive items? Can't wait!

Why So Blu? 02-26-16 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy (Post 12736373)
Just got my pair of tickets for LA. Grabbed a pair of seats in the mezzanine. Should be a great way to take in the mood. I'm very interested in what kinds of merchandise might be available (CD soundtracks from various films over the years, movies, etc.). I wonder if there will be any interesting exclusive items? Can't wait!

There are exclusive items but they're only available in the meet & greet VIP packages.