DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase (Feb 2015) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/624597-steven-wilson-hand-cannot-erase-feb-2015-a.html)

mndtrp 01-14-15 01:16 PM

Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase (Feb 2015)

Steven Wilson has a new album coming out in February, Hand.Cannot.Erase

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rase_cover.jpg

TRACKLIST

1. First Regret (2.01)
2. 3 Years Older (10.18)
3. Hand Cannot Erase (4.13)
4. Perfect Life (4.43)
5. Routine (8.58)
6. Home Invasion (6.24)
7. Regret #9 (5.00)
8. Transience (2.43)
9. Ancestral (13.30)
10. Happy Returns (6.00)
11. Ascendant Here On…(1.54)

"The basic story, or concept of the record – it's about a woman growing up, who goes to live in the city, very isolated, and she disappears one day and no one notices. There's more to it than that. Now, what's really interesting about this story is that your initial reaction when you hear a story like that is, 'Ah, little old bag lady that no one notices, no one cares about.' [Vincent] wasn't [like that]. She was young, she was popular, she was attractive, she had many friends, she had family, but for whatever reason, nobody missed her for three years."
http://handcannoterase.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uXKpm-y3n1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mndtrp 01-14-15 01:20 PM

Re: Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase (Feb 2015)

I loved his last album The Raven That Refused to Sing, and think it's one of the best things he's done. I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree and a few of his other projects, but his recent solo work is fantastic.

He's going out on tour, below are the U.S. dates, of which I picked up tickets to see him in Boulder.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates/

21-May-15 Albany The Egg
22-May-15 Boston Berklee Performance Center
23-May-15 Harrisburg The Whitaker Center
26-May-15 Washington, DC 930 Club
28-May-15 Glenside, Philadelphia Keswick Theatre
29-May-15 New York City, New York Best Buy Theater
30-May-15 New York City, New York Best Buy Theater
04-Jun-15 Chicago, Illinois Park West
05-Jun-15 Chicago, Illinois Park West
06-Jun-15 Madison Barrymore Theater
09-Jun-15 Boulder, Colorado Boulder Theater
12-Jun-15 Anaheim The Grove
13-Jun-15 Los Angeles The Wiltern United States
14-Jun-15 San Francisco The Warfield United States
16-Jun-15 Portland Aladdin Theater United States
17-Jun-15 Seattle Neptune Theater United States

hdnmickey 01-14-15 01:55 PM

Loved the Raven album as well. Made me look into downloading all the Prorcupine Tree albums. Loved most of those as well.

Ravenous 01-27-15 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 12363650)
I loved his last album The Raven That Refused to Sing, and think it's one of the best things he's done. I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree and a few of his other projects, but his recent solo work is fantastic.

Ditto

Though his Covers album was horrible. I heard it while driving and wanted to just hit someone head on.

I WILL see him in Cali!!

bunkaroo 02-23-15 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous (Post 12377324)
Ditto

Though his Covers album was horrible. I heard it while driving and wanted to just hit someone head on.

I WILL see him in Cali!!

The covers thing wasn't really an album as much as a compilation of six 2-song releases done over a number of years. It wasn't meant to be cohesive IMO. It was also meant to be somewhat bare bones I think.

Personally I love the covers and the originals on them - "The Guitar Lesson" is quite haunting and I love his cover of Prince's "Sign O' The Times".

hdnmickey 02-24-15 02:46 PM

Just got through Hand.Cannot.Erase for the first time. Loved it. Listening to The Raven... again now to see how it compares and then Grace For Drowning since I've never heard it before.

bunkaroo 02-24-15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12405822)
Just got through Hand.Cannot.Erase for the first time. Loved it. Listening to The Raven... again now to see how it compares and then Grace For Drowning since I've never heard it before.

I couldn't resist and gave it a listen as well since my deluxe book is on its way now.

I know I will come to love it - there's so much to digest. Lots of great moments. Probably not as "jammy" with the instrumental parts as the last two. I think GFD is fantastic but Raven set a high bar. Those two have more in common than HCE has with them IMO.

hdnmickey 02-25-15 02:09 PM

I too found HCE to be far different, but in a good way. Probably making it far too simple of a comparison that others will pick apart, but Raven and GFD sounded heavily influenced by Yes, and HCE sounded like 70's Rush.

bunkaroo 02-25-15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12406833)
I too found HCE to be far different, but in a good way. Probably making it far too simple of a comparison that others will pick apart, but Raven and GFD sounded heavily influenced by Yes, and HCE sounded like 70's Rush.

Yes definitely though thought of Rush more too during this one. The previous two had a lot of King Crimson moments too. No surprise really given Wilson's work on all those KC and Yes remasters.

Giles 02-25-15 04:52 PM

There's also a Blu-ray audio edition:

'Hand. Cannot. Erase.' is the highly anticipated fourth studio album from Steven Wilson - four-time Grammy nominee and founder member of cult legends, Porcupine Tree.

Blu-Ray edition includes:

- Hi-resolution stereo & 5.1 audio (96/24 5.1 LPCM & DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)

- Seven additional alternative versions, mixes & radio edits

- Half-hour studio documentary

- Studio sessions photo gallery

- A download card with a unique code for FLAC and mp3 versions of the album.

The album follows the critical and commercial success of 2013's 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' (Germany #3, UK# 28) and an international run of sold-out shows, including London's prestigious Royal Albert Hall.

Joined by Guthrie Govan (guitar), Adam Holzman (keyboards), Nick Beggs (bass / stick), and Marco Minneman (drums) - all part of the world-class band that graced The Raven and the 2013/2014 world tours - Wilson recorded 'Hand. Cannot. Erase.' at the renowned Air Studios in London.

Pre-order for 2nd March 2015 release.

Bonus Material:

Instrumental Versions of all album tracks (96/24 Stereo LPCM)
Studio Documentary filmed and edited by Lasse Hoile - 29 minutes
Photo Gallery - 36 photos from the studio sessions
First Regret (Alternate Mix) (2:05)
Hand Cannot Erase (Radio Edit) (3:25)
Perfect Life (Grand Union Mix) (7:43)
Routine (Ninet Solo Vocal Version) (8:58)
Regret #9 (Alternate Take) (4:17)
Happy Returns (Radio Edit) (3:53)
Piano Themes From Hand Cannot Erase

macnorton 03-07-15 04:01 PM

I got the box set and finally got a chance to listen the other day. Masterpiece. Easily the contender for album of the year thus far (although Sumac, Mason, Napalm Death has strong albums so far).

I got a Rush vibe while listening to it and there is such an excellent story in there too. I browsed through the book and it looks to be on par with the previous ones (I have all but Insurgents, still kicking myself for that). But the other thing I noticed was this is the most accessible of all of his works, which is say a lot. Hopefully more people get turned onto the album.

mndtrp 03-08-15 11:13 AM

I've only had two listens, but agree with what others are saying. It's less jazzy than Raven, more accessible than anything since Porcupine Tree, and continues showing that Wilson is an awesome songwriter and musician.

Giles 03-09-15 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 12416615)
I've only had two listens, but agree with what others are saying. It's less jazzy than Raven, more accessible than anything since Porcupine Tree, and continues showing that Wilson is an awesome songwriter and musician.

and sold!

Ravenous 03-13-15 01:16 AM

I haven't gotten this CD yet but I finally saw the video for Drive Home from Raven and it was amazing. Total new appreciation for that tune. And is that DVD/CD book version hard to find? I had it on Amazon wish list and as it got close to release date, it said it was no longer going to be available. WTF

stvn1974 03-13-15 10:29 AM

I bought The Raven That Refused To Sing two days before Hand.Can't.Erase was released on a whim. Glad I did because both are great albums. I couldn't sleep last night so I put both on, great 3 am music. Now I just need to delve into Porcupine Tree.

Dan 09-04-16 11:42 AM

Finally bought this album on vinyl. Hoping to get it next week.

In other news, ALL of Steven Wilson's albums are now on streaming services (like Spotify).
:up:

bunkaroo 09-06-16 09:34 AM

Figured I'd post this here for Wilson fans - the new Blackfield album is coming in November and they've made a point to say in the press release this is a "full partnership" akin to the first two albums.

Pretty excited to hear that - I'm thinking maybe Steven had material that wouldn't fit his current solo band so it made sense to use it for Blackfield.