Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Adele - 25 (November 20th)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-23-15, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

New album, new song, new video. And shot on IMAX.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YQHsXMglC9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by E Unit; 10-23-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 03:55 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adele - 25 (November 20th)

New song is very good. Seriously talented young lady. Glad to have something new from her and I will happily purchase the full album on 11/20
Old 10-23-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

That's a great song and a nice video. Four and a half years is an eternity between albums these days. Glad to see she's still got it.
Old 10-23-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I watched the video earlier today. Great song & beautiful video. Looks like Adele is still in top form. The almost 4 year break is probably going to help sales of this album too.

I didn't become a fan of hers until the 21 album, but I did go back and get 19, which is a good album too.
Old 10-23-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.target.com/p/adele-25-tar...1_4&term=adele

FYI, if you're going to purchase Adele's new album on CD, there's 3 bonus tracks at Target.

I think I'm going to go that route.

1. Hello
2. Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
3. I Miss You
4. When We Were Young
5. Remedy
6. Water Under The Bridge
7. River Lea
8. Love In The Dark
9. Million Years Ago
10. All I Ask
11. Sweetest Devotion
12. Can’t Let Go (Target Exclusive)
13. Lay Me Down (Target Exclusive)
14. Why Do You Love Me (Target Exclusive)
Old 10-29-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, she has too nice of a voice for such a crappy formulaic pop song. Must be finally old, since people like crap pop like this.
Old 10-29-15, 11:21 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

She has a great voice. But I don't see the big deal about the song.
Old 10-29-15, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
She has a great voice. But I don't see the big deal about the song.
Agree, would love to hear her really sing something other than super polished manufactured pop that is more product than song.

Grab Adele, bring in Emmylou Harris for harmony, throw her in a room with some talented musicians from rock or blues and see what comes out. I suspect it would be pretty terrific.
Old 11-20-15, 11:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Album is out today.

Not on streaming services (her previous one wasn't either... I think for like a year or two...).
Old 11-20-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Was initially going to pick up the Target version with the 3 bonus tracks, but I forgot that I pre-ordered it from Amazon and it already shipped. Oh well. It was only $9.99+ tax. Chances are the bonus tracks are nothing too memorable and are just leftover tracks.
Old 11-20-15, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not on streaming = I'm not listening.
Old 11-20-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the last few CD's that I've listed to, the extra tracks were solid, if not one of the better songs available. Which makes sense such that the record companies would put an end to making the exclusive tracks left over garbage such that fans would know better than to pay extra for them.

Not saying it didn't use to be that way. Just saying it doesn't seem to be that way now.
Old 11-20-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

What's with the whole 'not streaming' bullshit artists are pulling these days.
Stop being a fuckin hipster and get with the times and stop bitching about royalties.
Nobody makes money off record sales but the big honchos so get over it.
Old 11-20-15, 12:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ When you're Adele, and you're set to be one of the handful of artists who can sell over a million copies.. yeah... staying off streaming "makes sense" in a totally self-serving way. I don't blame her for that.

What I blame her for is being one of the remaining few leaders in pop music, with the influence to migrate her listeners to streaming (which IS the future; not managing MP3 libraries like it's fucking 2001. Sorry to those of you still doing that. No offense intended), and saying "NOPE. I want my record to be the biggest #1. Being just #1 isn't enough, it has to be the largest #1 that #1 can be because I'm #1."

And, guaranteed, this album will be uploaded by some random user to YouTube and put into a playlist, so people can listen without buying it. And the royalties on YouTube are even smaller than the other streaming services.
Old 11-20-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OHXjxWaQs9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-20-15, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ When you're Adele, and you're set to be one of the handful of artists who can sell over a million copies.. yeah... staying off streaming "makes sense" in a totally self-serving way. I don't blame her for that.

What I blame her for is being one of the remaining few leaders in pop music, with the influence to migrate her listeners to streaming (which IS the future; not managing MP3 libraries like it's fucking 2001. Sorry to those of you still doing that. No offense intended), and saying "NOPE. I want my record to be the biggest #1. Being just #1 isn't enough, it has to be the largest #1 that #1 can be because I'm #1."

And, guaranteed, this album will be uploaded by some random user to YouTube and put into a playlist, so people can listen without buying it. And the royalties on YouTube are even smaller than the other streaming services.
See, I think it's more likely to drive sales. I've bought a lot of music I heard first on Spotify. I won't buy an album just because I like the single, it's not the '90s anymore.
Old 11-20-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
See, I think it's more likely to drive sales. I've bought a lot of music I heard first on Spotify. I won't buy an album just because I like the single, it's not the '90s anymore.
Sorry to be the contrarian but I think I've bought three albums in the past year since I first subscribed to Spotify. At least one of those were because it wasn't on Spotify. Adele probably wins out here as well.
Old 11-21-15, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. Make an album good enough and I'll buy it after the first listen.
Old 11-21-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Streaming has its place - so I don't get why the album isn't available that way.
But if I like something enough, I'll buy the CD and rip to FLAC. The sound quality of music streaming is lacking. Plus I don't like the idea of requiring internet to listen to music - not to mention bandwidth is limited (especially my phone data plan). Plus the sound quality on my phone doesn't match my non-connected FiiO device.

Streaming is not an ideal solution for a lot of people.
Old 11-21-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. Make an album good enough and I'll buy it after the first listen.
That is how I am. I check it out on Spotify and buy it if I like it.
Old 11-22-15, 01:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, but most people are still using YouTube by default or, worse, torrents, to listen to this stuff anyway.

I heard somewhere that she's likely to sell upwards of 2.5 million copies of the album when all is said and done. Keeping the album off of streaming, they assume, makes that 'record' much more likely to happen sooner than later. Adele's doing it to bump day/week/month-one sales. That's it. It's a smart business move, for her. It's dumb and holds back progress, though, because it sends the message to the 'little guys' that they can make money doing the same thing.

I guess what I mean is... Adele doesn't need the streaming exposure. Neither does Taylor Swift or the other handful of 'blockbuster' artists. But everyone else? It's the best/only exposure they're going to get, and if they're getting the data, they can see where their fans are, so they know where to tour, promote, etc.
Old 11-22-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan

Here's the thing though, streaming may be "the future" but there are still a large percentage of people who don't bother with it, and likely never will, and a good percentage of those people are also the ones who make up her audience. So really, it makes no difference. Most of those folks are going to buy the album based solely on hearing the first single, or just on her name basis alone, without hearing anything from it.

Now as for the album, itself, I think it's pretty blah. It lacks the dynamics of 21, and after a handful of listens, there's nothing that stands out much to me as much as "Hello". I also was very surprised she didn't have a single collaboration with Dan Wilson on this record, who was responsible for co-writing and producing her biggest hit single, as well as a few others on 21. Yet, she still worked with songsmiths Ryan Tedder and Max Martin on a couple of otherwise blasé tracks on 25. I'm sure the album will still sell like gangbusters, but I don't know if it'll have the legs of her prior album.
Old 11-22-15, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OHXjxWaQs9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's cool. There is a similar one for Jewel on Funny or Die in a Karaoke bar which is pretty hysterical as well.
Old 11-22-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Here's the thing though, streaming may be "the future" but there are still a large percentage of people who don't bother with it, and likely never will, and a good percentage of those people are also the ones who make up her audience. So really, it makes no difference. Most of those folks are going to buy the album based solely on hearing the first single, or just on her name basis alone, without hearing anything from it.

Now as for the album, itself, I think it's pretty blah. It lacks the dynamics of 21, and after a handful of listens, there's nothing that stands out much to me as much as "Hello". I also was very surprised she didn't have a single collaboration with Dan Wilson on this record, who was responsible for co-writing and producing her biggest hit single, as well as a few others on 21. Yet, she still worked with songsmiths Ryan Tedder and Max Martin on a couple of otherwise blasé tracks on 25. I'm sure the album will still sell like gangbusters, but I don't know if it'll have the legs of her prior album.
I think many people don't get this. It's one thing to just buy the album and listen to it. But streaming and playlists and such, ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 11-22-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I listened to the whole album in the car over the weekend.

I agree that there are less catchy and memorable tracks. But, it's still IMO a solid well produced album and Adele's vocals are top notch. Also not sure this will have the same sales legs as 21. But, Sony should be able to sell a lot of copies during the Holidays.

I'll probably need to listen to it a few more times. Some songs take a little time to catch on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.