Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why didn't DTS/Surround Sound music take off ?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-13-14, 02:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it because people generally listen to music on the go on portable devices and not on their home theatre ?

A good DTS/Surround sound cd is bloody amazing!
Old 12-13-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,181 Likes on 4,209 Posts
Re: Why didn't DTS/Surround Sound music take off ?

Yeah, that's the reason. People listen to music on the go.
FWIW I have about 20 SACDs and love them so much. Wish I'd bought a lot more.
Old 12-13-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,070 Likes on 649 Posts

Gone are the days where people just sit and listen to music.

I can remember as a kid sitting in my room just listening to an album. Just that. Not also playing a video game, or perusing the internet, or with the TV on, or reading a magazine, or looking at a comic, or talking on the phone or etc. etc.

Just sitting listening to the music. They might put you in a padded room if you do just that nowadays.
Old 12-13-14, 02:57 PM

Thanks guys

No one told this guy ! check out the equipment in this listening room !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHjRe-hm_s

Now for those who are interested in listening to amazing surround sound audio on their home theatre, please check out this guy

https://www.facebook.com/DKASurround

I can't tell you where to get his projects, but be creative, you will find them on the net

They are 2 to 3 gigs each per album in DTS-HD and sound bloody amazing

His Daft Punk Random Access Memories and Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad in particular rock

I found myself enjoying songs and artists i normally wouldn't enjoy purely because of the sound quality

Last edited by Original Desmond; 12-13-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Go ahead, put me in a padded room! I rarely listen to music "on the go", as when I'm walking I want to hear what's actually around me, and while driving I usually can't have music very loud or I can't navigate (part of the weird way my brain works.) I do listen to loud music going long stretches on the freeway, but nothing beats listening at home with zero distractions.

DTS CDs were initially overpriced ($25 each) and they seem to have stopped making them when SACD and DVD-Audio came out. I have a number of fan-made DTS CDs taken from old quadraphonic reel-to-reel or 8-track tapes that are pretty killer, they still sound like analog tape of course but haven't been issued any other way.
Old 12-15-14, 05:13 AM

Im sourcing more and more DTS and SACD sources and it really is changing music for me

Just sitting in my listening chair with my eyes closed listening to the surround sound just transports you

More so than watching a movie with surround sound because with your eyes closed, it's all about your ears.

some stand outs for me so far

Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
Def Leppard
Old 12-15-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before HDMI, it was a total pain in the ass to get true hi-res sound from DVDA and SACD. But that pales in comparison to the fact people just don't give a fuck about sound quality.

I love my DVDA/SACDs. Here are some of my favs:

Last edited by CRM114; 12-15-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I didn't just sit and listen to music in one place when surround sound music came out. Coupled with the price, I never really got into it. I have a few surround discs, and while very cool, they aren't something I ever listen to.
Old 12-15-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blu-ray audio is the way to go nowadays.

I'll pick this up one of these days:

Old 12-15-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Surround Sound music could work in cars with front/rear speakers. So you don't necessarily have to be stuck at home.

I think it's more to do with the new audio disc formats in general not taking off. I think if DVD-A had been included with every DVD player, instead of a separate license manufacturers had to pay, DVD-Audio could've taken off. They learned their lesson with BD-A, but by then it was too late, as everyone had moved to downloads.

It's possible once downloadable music defaults to lossless, the next step would be offering surround-sound downloads. I don't think MP3 has the ability for more than 2 tracks built into the spec. There was an surround extension for mp3 developed, but it never caught on.
Old 12-15-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Blu-ray audio is the way to go nowadays.
Yes, but with very few exceptions (including the title you pictured), it's a 2 channel format. Same with SACD. They still make them, but hardly any are in surround anymore.

So it seems surround sound is now dead in the water except in rare instances like the new Pink Floyd.
Old 12-15-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Surround Sound music could work in cars with front/rear speakers. So you don't necessarily have to be stuck at home.
My wife's old Acura had DVD-A capability. Not sure if her new car does or not. It was sort of silly. There's really not enough separate of the speakers to enjoy the experience.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think it's more to do with the new audio disc formats in general not taking off. I think if DVD-A had been included with every DVD player, instead of a separate license manufacturers had to pay, DVD-Audio could've taken off. They learned their lesson with BD-A, but by then it was too late, as everyone had moved to downloads.
[/QUOTE]

SACD and DVD-A were audiophile formats and I don't believe we ever intended for mass consumption. The first players (I have an old Pioneer) required 6 analog cables and a receiver with analog surround inputs. (If my terminology is off forgive me, I was never much interested in the technical side of hardware. ) That was a royal pain in the ass and required a receiver capable of accepting that octopus of cables. Sure, you could play any old DVD-A in surround but you weren't getting the high resolution that format was meant to be.

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yes, but with very few exceptions (including the title you pictured), it's a 2 channel format. Same with SACD. They still make them, but hardly any are in surround anymore.
I have recently bought surround blu-rays of Rush: 2112, Yes: Close To The Edge, and XTC: Nonsuch. Seems they are making them for Prog-rock nerds that enjoy that sort of thing and actually appreciate audio fidelity.
Old 12-15-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The labels were very dumb for attempting surround releases before HDMI. It was a pain in the ass trying to get 5.1 surround systems installed before the days of that technology.
Old 12-15-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SACD and DVD-A were audiophile formats and I don't believe we ever intended for mass consumption.
This is like saying Blu-ray is a videophile format and never intended for mass consumption.

Record companies and manufacturers were struggling to fine a way to get people to re-buy music, and they thought a higher-fidelity format was the way. That's why SACD used the "CD" acronym in it, it was meant as a replacement format similar to HD-DVD.
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/ma...ticle-2217.wpd
Royal Philips Electronics (AEX:PHI, NYSE:PHG) and Crest National, a leader in the film, video and optical media industries, today announced a partnership agreement to develop a Super Audio CD (SACD) hybrid disc production line to be installed in Crest National’s replication facilities in Hollywood, CA, USA. This is the first step of the agreement to jointly develop hybrid SACD production lines, and to roll out SACD into a mass-market proposition. The production line is scheduled to be installed this summer, with full production by autumn of this year. The first line will have a production capacity of 3 million SACD hybrid discs a year with more lines to follow.

“This is an important part of the next phase of the roll out of SACD into the mass market.”
See more here:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...n.digitalmusic
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul9...cdnextgen.html

They knew that higher-quality audio and surround sound would appeal to audiophiles first, but they were hoping that as adoption increased in both players and releases, that they'd become the new dominant format.

The first players (I have an old Pioneer) required 6 analog cables and a receiver with analog surround inputs....
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The labels were very dumb for attempting surround releases before HDMI. It was a pain in the ass trying to get 5.1 surround systems installed before the days of that technology.
It wasn't so much that the tech wasn't available, but the labels didn't want any lossless digital signal without DRM to be used. Basically, they wanted to protect against "ripping" the discs like what happened with CDs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Aud...ssor_interface
Old 12-15-14, 03:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife's old Acura had DVD-A capability. Not sure if her new car does or not. It was sort of silly. There's really not enough separate of the speakers to enjoy the experience.
actually I find the surround cues distracting when you're driving. but it's fun nonetheless.
Old 12-15-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The first players (I have an old Pioneer) required 6 analog cables and a receiver with analog surround inputs. (If my terminology is off forgive me, I was never much interested in the technical side of hardware. ) That was a royal pain in the ass and required a receiver capable of accepting that octopus of cables.
The 6-channel inputs were one of my main requirements when purchasing a new receiver a couple of years ago, since my "old" Sony 5-disc SACD player still works fine. Those inputs are getting scarce, however; there was little question that I was going to stick with Harman Kardon, but I ended up going with a previous generation model because the newest versions at the time had dropped them.

I have made back my SACD investment a couple times over just by unloading a few that I never listened to. I sold the Bruce Cockburn disc for more than I paid for the player itself, and I could easily clear another few hundred if I ever decide to sell off the Alison Krauss and Keane discs (all of which are great, by the way).
Old 12-15-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

This is something I could be into, if it wasn't for the dearth of titles available which would interest me.

Even the original stereo mixes sounded like garbage in many less popular metal and punk rock albums I really liked listening to. (Never mind dts/surround sound).

Back in the day, it sounded like the producer + studio engineer(s) were either completely drunk/stoned, incompetent, and/or they simply didn't give a damn. At worst in some cases, they deliberately made the record sound like shit.
Old 12-15-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before HDMI, it was a total pain in the ass to get true hi-res sound from DVDA and SACD. But that pales in comparison to the fact people just don't give a fuck about sound quality.

I love my DVDA/SACDs. Here are some of my favs:

Some great ones there. You should check out the Quadrophenia Blu Ray, Close to the Edge DVD-A and Wish You Were Here SACD if you like those albums
Old 12-15-14, 07:16 PM

As an aside.

If Metallica's "death magnetic" was ever released on dvd-a (or bluray-audio) without the the crappy "loud" mastering, I would have bought it. (Regardless of whether it was stereo or surround sound).

(IIRC, Metallica's black album was released on dvd-a).
Old 12-15-14, 08:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

if drum n bass is your thing - LTJ Bukem's 'Planet Earth' in 6.1 sound is great

Old 12-16-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I can't play music very loud in the car if at all (part of the way my brain works) but I have a few quadraphonic sampler 8-track tapes that originally came with Ford cars that are great. There's an interesting story about how these tapes were made after quad had already bit the dust- Ford bought a ton of quadraphonic players from RCA and had enough to install in cars for years, then when quad tapes disappeared from stores they demanded RCA produce some tapes to go with their excess players. They have some stuff that was never released anyplace else, like a weird electronic version of the Star Wars theme.
Old 12-16-14, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I can't play music very loud in the car if at all (part of the way my brain works)
More generally, I don't listen to loud music anymore (independent of musical genre). For some strange reason, these days I get massive headaches whenever I listen to any loud music.
Old 12-16-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I can't play music very loud in the car if at all (part of the way my brain works) but I have a few quadraphonic sampler 8-track tapes that originally came with Ford cars that are great. There's an interesting story about how these tapes were made after quad had already bit the dust- Ford bought a ton of quadraphonic players from RCA and had enough to install in cars for years, then when quad tapes disappeared from stores they demanded RCA produce some tapes to go with their excess players. They have some stuff that was never released anyplace else, like a weird electronic version of the Star Wars theme.
That sounds like a very Ford thing to do on their cars.
Old 12-16-14, 02:23 AM

BTW for those interested, if you like ripping DTS cds, Poweriso is by far the most useful program i have come accross. It nicely rips DTS Cds into individual DTS-Wav files with no quality loss. It's the only program i have found which rips DTS Cds without converting. Kinda like doing a 'direct stream copy' in virtualdub

My bluray player plays dvdrs full of DTS-Wavs, i can fit around 100 on a dvdr so lots of quality music on one disc

I like ripping the cds because often i dont like every song

Last edited by Original Desmond; 12-16-14 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
My bluray player plays dvdrs full of DTS-Wavs, i can fit around 100 on a dvdr so lots of quality music on one disc
Wait, that math doesn't make sense. A DTS-CD stores data at the same bitrate as an audio CD (1,411 kbit/s), so a single-layer DVD should only hold about 6.7 completely full CDs. Even if the average album length is less than 80 minutes you're still only likely to fit a dozen or so on one 4.7GB DVDR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.