Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

Nine Inch Nails
Old 12-04-14, 08:50 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

I honestly can't think of any band where I think most or even many of the public know all the members relatively equally except the Beatles. Many of the bands that have been listed, I can't even name one member. So maybe within the band's fanbase, pretty much "everyone" knows who Stone, Mike, Jeff, and Matt are just as much as Eddie, but I couldn't say the public knows them.

Originally Posted by bralph
Bell, Biv, Devoe
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uIqn3Dzs77g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-04-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
I knew far more of Jeff Lynne's work, through ELO, then I did either Tom Petty or Roy Orbison's or, for that matter, Bob Dylan's!
The point was that I would bet the majority of people would miss Lynne if naming the Wilbury's. ELO as band was widely recognized. But individually as band members,...not so much.
Old 12-04-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I can name all the members of one band, The Beatles.

There are albums by other bands I've listened to a thousand times, and I can name maybe one member. Names just aren't my thing. I like the sound, I listen and enjoy; beyond that
It's not something I tried to do. I just did a lot of reading about the bands, including magazine articles (remember those? ) and everything that came with an album or CD.

For a long time I could also name all the songs on any album I owned, in order. My memory just naturally works like that.
Old 12-04-14, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Steely Dan

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are both equally acclaimed. There is no Art Garfunkel and John Oates sort of imbalance.

Now of course they collaborate with others. But for a duo that's been around as long as they have they are the only ones I can think of that receive absolutely equal praise.
Old 12-04-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Morning Musume 14:

C-ute:

Berryz Kobo:

I've seen all of the above perform live. I've met and interviewed 13 of them. And I love them all equally.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-04-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

He's right! They're all equally fluffy and disposable.
Old 12-04-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Milli Vanilli
Old 12-04-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
KISS ?
Yes. Nowadays it's the Gene and Paul show, but originally all four members were marketed together and were portrayed publicly as equals.
Old 12-04-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Yes. Nowadays it's the Gene and Paul show, but originally all four members were marketed together and were portrayed publicly as equals.
Truth
Old 12-04-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Highwaymen might be a better example among supergroups.

Would the Jonas Brothers qualify?
Old 12-04-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beastie Boys
Old 12-04-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
I have no doubt...or care. I was laughing at the "receive...acclaim" part. They deserve nothing more than derision.
Old 12-05-14, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Opinions vary.
Old 12-05-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
The Highwaymen might be a better example among supergroups.
Kristofferson equal in any way to the others? Not in my book.
Old 12-05-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Kristofferson equal in any way to the others? Not in my book.
What do you mean? That Kristofferson was superior to the others? Or they were superior to him?
Old 12-05-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What do you mean? That Kristofferson was superior to the others? Or they were superior to him?
The others were far more acclaimed and well known. Legends even. YMMV.
Old 12-05-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

How about Asia?
Old 12-05-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
How about Asia?
Speaking only about the orginal lineup:

Palmer & Howe >>>> Wetton & Downes

It only becomes more unequal as the band changed lineups.
Old 12-06-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Beastie Boys
This.
Old 12-06-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Speaking only about the orginal lineup:

Palmer & Howe >>>> Wetton & Downes
I disagree utterly, but you must have a rationale. Wetton & Downes wrote all of the group's best songs early on (One of the musical peaks of the '80s, "Heat of the Moment", with Wetton's resonant vocals; plus, "Only Time Will Tell", "My Own Time", "The Last to Know", "The Voice of America"), and for later albums, Downes co-wrote most of the material with John Payne.
In recent years, Wetton rejoined the band, producing what I think is Asia's best overall album, Omega, which includes such terrific Wetton/Downes songs as "Holy War" (overlong, as with many of their songs, and the chorus disappoints, but with marvellous verses and pre-verse guitar crescendos) and "Listen, Children".
The prior album, Phoenix, was also very good, as was XXX. There have been duds, to be sure. Their most recent, Gravitas (Downes/Wetton), was terrible, as was Silent Nation (Downes/Payne), and relatively older albums such as Aqua, Arena, and Aura, with Downes co-writing almost everything minus Wetton, were pretty weak. Perhaps Wetton is the duo's stronger member. I don't know.
Old 12-06-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a huge difference between group members being known and being acclaimed individually. Most fans could probably name a majority of the members in Blink-182 or Red Hot Chilli Peppers, for example, but I'm not sure about how critically acclaimed they'd be as individuals.

And I'm not sure how I feel about using "super groups" as examples of bands where all members are more or less equally well-known or acclaimed. By the very definition of a "super group" the members must already be acclaimed or famous in some way.

So when Harrison, Dylan, Orbison, Petty & Lynne came together for The Traveling Wilburys it was a bunch of established and well-regarded musicians forming a new group. Same thing with Cash, Nelson, Jennings, and Kristofferson for the Highwaymen.

I think the best example is The Beatles where they were a band of previously unknown musicians that became well-known individually (everyone can name the four Beatles) and more or less equally acclaimed as individuals (Ringo being the least-regarded, but still with consistent output over the years and a large fanbase).

I'd submit Wu-Tang Clan as a good example of this, although they aren't a band in the traditional sense. They sort of set the standard, especially in Hip Hop, for a group being signed to one label with the individual members being free to sign elsewhere. RZA, GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, U-God, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa, and Method Man are all well-known in the Hop Hip community and are more or less equally regarded as far as skills, although some like U-God and Inspectah Deck are obviously less known than breakouts like Ghostface, Raekwon, RZA, and Method Man.

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Proclaimers
Old 12-06-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
There's a huge difference between group members being known and being acclaimed individually. Most fans could probably name a majority of the members in Blink-182 or Red Hot Chilli Peppers, for example, but I'm not sure about how critically acclaimed they'd be as individuals.
There is also more to acclaim then just having a fans know your name. It also would appear people think acclaim means they were the song writer. No. Most people couldn't even tell you which member which member wrote which songs unless the obvious McCartney Lennon, Pant & Page, and the like.
Old 12-06-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Rush is actually debatable because Alex has been sorely overlooked. Geddy gets attention as the frontman and for playing 2-3 instruments at once. Peart is God on Drums. Al seems to have been forgotten.

Sad part is, he's the major composer. Listen to the solo albums by Ged and Al. One sounds like a Rush album without awesome drumming. The other sounds lame.
Old 12-07-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No love for the Eagles?
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
There's a bunch of dudes in here.

I hate the f'ing Eagles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.