DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/623900-bands-where-all-members-more-less-equally-well-known-receive-equal-acclaim.html)

astrochimp 12-04-14 08:42 AM

Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

Nine Inch Nails

story 12-04-14 08:50 AM

Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

I honestly can't think of any band where I think most or even many of the public know all the members relatively equally except the Beatles. Many of the bands that have been listed, I can't even name one member. So maybe within the band's fanbase, pretty much "everyone" knows who Stone, Mike, Jeff, and Matt are just as much as Eddie, but I couldn't say the public knows them.

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 12323258)
Bell, Biv, Devoe

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uIqn3Dzs77g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hdnmickey 12-04-14 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by benedict (Post 12323216)
I knew far more of Jeff Lynne's work, through ELO, then I did either Tom Petty or Roy Orbison's or, for that matter, Bob Dylan's!

The point was that I would bet the majority of people would miss Lynne if naming the Wilbury's. ELO as band was widely recognized. But individually as band members,...not so much.

hdnmickey 12-04-14 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12323224)
I can name all the members of one band, The Beatles.

There are albums by other bands I've listened to a thousand times, and I can name maybe one member. Names just aren't my thing. I like the sound, I listen and enjoy; beyond that :shrug:

It's not something I tried to do. I just did a lot of reading about the bands, including magazine articles (remember those? :lol: ) and everything that came with an album or CD.

For a long time I could also name all the songs on any album I owned, in order. My memory just naturally works like that.

Mabuse 12-04-14 01:34 PM

Steely Dan

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are both equally acclaimed. There is no Art Garfunkel and John Oates sort of imbalance.

Now of course they collaborate with others. But for a duo that's been around as long as they have they are the only ones I can think of that receive absolutely equal praise.

Ash Ketchum 12-04-14 01:40 PM

Morning Musume 14:
http://aramajapan.com/wp-content/upl...rt-2014-A2.jpg

C-ute:
http://ongakuenlinea.files.wordpress...43434229_n.jpg

Berryz Kobo:
http://asianbeat.com/files/2013/04/f517f282d97c95.jpg

I've seen all of the above perform live. I've met and interviewed 13 of them. And I love them all equally.

Mabuse 12-04-14 01:45 PM

He's right! They're all equally fluffy and disposable.

Obi-Wanma 12-04-14 01:46 PM

Milli Vanilli

Jason 12-04-14 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12322857)
KISS ? :lol:

Yes. Nowadays it's the Gene and Paul show, but originally all four members were marketed together and were portrayed publicly as equals.

Giantrobo 12-04-14 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12323925)
Yes. Nowadays it's the Gene and Paul show, but originally all four members were marketed together and were portrayed publicly as equals.

Truth :up:

Drexl 12-04-14 08:38 PM

The Highwaymen might be a better example among supergroups.

Would the Jonas Brothers qualify?

auto 12-04-14 08:47 PM

Beastie Boys

van der graaf 12-04-14 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12323925)

I have no doubt...or care. I was laughing at the "receive...acclaim" part. They deserve nothing more than derision.

The Infidel 12-05-14 05:53 AM

Opinions vary.

hdnmickey 12-05-14 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12324094)
The Highwaymen might be a better example among supergroups.

Kristofferson equal in any way to the others? Not in my book.

Ash Ketchum 12-05-14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12324557)
Kristofferson equal in any way to the others? Not in my book.

What do you mean? That Kristofferson was superior to the others? Or they were superior to him?

hdnmickey 12-05-14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12324566)
What do you mean? That Kristofferson was superior to the others? Or they were superior to him?

The others were far more acclaimed and well known. Legends even. YMMV.

Norm de Plume 12-05-14 12:00 PM

How about Asia?

hdnmickey 12-05-14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 12324644)
How about Asia?

Speaking only about the orginal lineup:

Palmer & Howe >>>> Wetton & Downes

It only becomes more unequal as the band changed lineups.

UAIOE 12-06-14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12324099)
Beastie Boys

This.

Norm de Plume 12-06-14 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12324750)
Speaking only about the orginal lineup:

Palmer & Howe >>>> Wetton & Downes

I disagree utterly, but you must have a rationale. Wetton & Downes wrote all of the group's best songs early on (One of the musical peaks of the '80s, "Heat of the Moment", with Wetton's resonant vocals; plus, "Only Time Will Tell", "My Own Time", "The Last to Know", "The Voice of America"), and for later albums, Downes co-wrote most of the material with John Payne.
In recent years, Wetton rejoined the band, producing what I think is Asia's best overall album, Omega, which includes such terrific Wetton/Downes songs as "Holy War" (overlong, as with many of their songs, and the chorus disappoints, but with marvellous verses and pre-verse guitar crescendos) and "Listen, Children".
The prior album, Phoenix, was also very good, as was XXX. There have been duds, to be sure. Their most recent, Gravitas (Downes/Wetton), was terrible, as was Silent Nation (Downes/Payne), and relatively older albums such as Aqua, Arena, and Aura, with Downes co-writing almost everything minus Wetton, were pretty weak. Perhaps Wetton is the duo's stronger member. I don't know.

kstublen 12-06-14 11:57 AM

There's a huge difference between group members being known and being acclaimed individually. Most fans could probably name a majority of the members in Blink-182 or Red Hot Chilli Peppers, for example, but I'm not sure about how critically acclaimed they'd be as individuals.

And I'm not sure how I feel about using "super groups" as examples of bands where all members are more or less equally well-known or acclaimed. By the very definition of a "super group" the members must already be acclaimed or famous in some way.

So when Harrison, Dylan, Orbison, Petty & Lynne came together for The Traveling Wilburys it was a bunch of established and well-regarded musicians forming a new group. Same thing with Cash, Nelson, Jennings, and Kristofferson for the Highwaymen.

I think the best example is The Beatles where they were a band of previously unknown musicians that became well-known individually (everyone can name the four Beatles) and more or less equally acclaimed as individuals (Ringo being the least-regarded, but still with consistent output over the years and a large fanbase).

I'd submit Wu-Tang Clan as a good example of this, although they aren't a band in the traditional sense. They sort of set the standard, especially in Hip Hop, for a group being signed to one label with the individual members being free to sign elsewhere. RZA, GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, U-God, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa, and Method Man are all well-known in the Hop Hip community and are more or less equally regarded as far as skills, although some like U-God and Inspectah Deck are obviously less known than breakouts like Ghostface, Raekwon, RZA, and Method Man.

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12323004)
The Proclaimers

:lol:

hdnmickey 12-06-14 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 12325578)
There's a huge difference between group members being known and being acclaimed individually. Most fans could probably name a majority of the members in Blink-182 or Red Hot Chilli Peppers, for example, but I'm not sure about how critically acclaimed they'd be as individuals.

There is also more to acclaim then just having a fans know your name. It also would appear people think acclaim means they were the song writer. No. Most people couldn't even tell you which member which member wrote which songs unless the obvious McCartney Lennon, Pant & Page, and the like.

Traxan 12-06-14 03:50 PM

Rush is actually debatable because Alex has been sorely overlooked. Geddy gets attention as the frontman and for playing 2-3 instruments at once. Peart is God on Drums. Al seems to have been forgotten.

Sad part is, he's the major composer. Listen to the solo albums by Ged and Al. One sounds like a Rush album without awesome drumming. The other sounds lame.

rexinnih 12-07-14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12322983)
No love for the Eagles?

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12323113)
There's a bunch of dudes in here.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...gan_Midbmp.jpg

I hate the f'ing Eagles.