Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Can't see the album on any of my Apple devices. Really fucking annoying.
I've been trying since yesterday even re-booting my iPad and iPhone and it's still not showing up on either device for me.
Old 09-10-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

I've been waiting for the new U2 album for a long while, so I was pretty excited when I heard the announcement at the end of the Apple presentation.

I've listened to it a few times and there are definitely a few songs that I know I'm going to love. A few... not so much. Better than No Line, which I liked a bit by the way. Not quite on par with their best. But then, not much out there is on par with U2's best.
Old 09-10-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
I've been trying since yesterday even re-booting my iPad and iPhone and it's still not showing up on either device for me.
Perhaps you should make sure you exist my friend...
Old 09-10-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you have to go through iTunes on your computer.
Old 09-10-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
No. I downloaded it on all my Apple devices by going to More... > Purchased in the iTunes Store app and downloading it directly to the device.
Old 09-10-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I can try that next, I guess it's worth a try even though I synced both of them over the weekend.
Old 09-10-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I had to find it in the cloud thingy in iTunes.
Old 09-10-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I think the comment by atlantamoi is a little off regarding pushing themselves. If anything the last two, weren't a push and I think they understood that, and by going with Dangermouse, and Paul Epworth (among others) it got them out of their comfort zone and they did something different. Most know, that I am a unapologetic fan, so I know it's meaningless, but I think it's one of their better efforts of late.
Would anyone know that Dangermouse had anything to do with this album if he wasn't listed as a producer? I think he's fantastic and much of his work definitely has a trademark sound I can get behind. Maybe I need to listen more than two times, but I don't hear it at all. I was hoping he'd inject a little more into this work.

"Every Breaking Wave" is a middling tune that sounds like a reject from How To Dismantle. I do like that Lykke Li sings on the last song. I'm hoping time will change my opinion overall. I really do because this band means a lot to me and I just expect a little more than this.
Old 09-10-14, 02:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Old 09-10-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have it now. I took my iPhone off WiFi and there it was! Probably a coincidence though because it showed up on my iPad at the same time.

I'm going to build a play list with this along with Invisible and Ordinary Love since they aren't on the new album.
Old 09-10-14, 06:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If anyone else is still having problems getting the album to show up on their Apple devices, this is what you need to do:

iTunes: Go to your preferences and find an option for "Show songs from iTunes in the Cloud". Turn that option on, go back to your library, and the album should show up in your U2 section with the option to download.

iPhone/iPad: Go to the iTunes store app (not the Music app), click "More" and go to purchases. The songs will be listed there and you can click to download them.

As for the album itself, it has a few good tracks, but there's nothing here I'm terribly impressed with.
Old 09-10-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The easiest solution for me was to go to iTunes store, log myself completely out, then log back in, then I was able to download.
Old 09-10-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

I did it via iTunes on the PC

Went to the store, clicked on Purchases and then made sure "Not in my Library" button in upper right was selected.
Old 09-10-14, 07:23 PM

Howard Hawks said the key to a great movie is "three great scenes...and no bad ones."

That's sort of true for albums too. And that's the problem here. There aren't any bad songs, just no great ones. I don't care that it sounds like Maroon 5 or The Kings Of Leon or Perry Como or whatever. Just give us a few truly great songs and I'm happy. Even the worst of the post Achtung albums had a few great tracks each:

No Line On The Horizon had Moment Of Surrender.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb had Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Miracle Drug and a few others.

All That You Can't Leave Behind had Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Walk On, Kite etc

Pop had Discoteque (I think it's great) and Staring At The Sun

Zooropa had Lemon and Stay (Faraway So Close)

I don't hear anything on this new one that approaches any of the above. Maybe Volcano. I dunno.
Old 09-10-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Would anyone know that Dangermouse had anything to do with this album if he wasn't listed as a producer? I think he's fantastic and much of his work definitely has a trademark sound I can get behind. Maybe I need to listen more than two times, but I don't hear it at all. I was hoping he'd inject a little more into this work.

"Every Breaking Wave" is a middling tune that sounds like a reject from How To Dismantle. I do like that Lykke Li sings on the last song. I'm hoping time will change my opinion overall. I really do because this band means a lot to me and I just expect a little more than this.
I don't know if anyone would but as a fan of Broken Bells I can certainly hear Dangermouse's input. Esp on Sleep Like A Baby and other songs on the 2nd half.
Old 09-10-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdollaz
You lead off with Pop when listing memorable U2 and you lose me.
Actually, Pop has really grown on me over the years. I really, really like, "If God Will Send His Angels." I also like Discoteque, Gone, and Wake Up Dead Man.

Now that I'm back in a U2 mood, I'm sure I will be giving all of their albums a listen over the next couple of months.

And, I've only listened to Songs of Innocence 2-3 times so far, but I'm really liking it.
Old 09-10-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pop's best material is B-grade U2 at best. And as an actual album it fails because the production was half-assed due to rushing the album to coincide with the Popmart tour.

It's hard to defend an album that was largely fixed piecemeal via singles and compilations later on. The most ardent Pop defender would have to admit that you're better off gathering the material elsewhere.
Old 09-10-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big U2 fan. I skipped the last album based on the reviews. But this album is really good start to finish. Maybe not their all time best but still very good. I've listened 3 times so far.
Old 09-11-14, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Pop's best material is B-grade U2 at best.
"Do You Feel Loved", "Mofo", "Last Night On Earth", "Gone", "Please" and "Wake Up Dead Man" are more interesting to me than most everything U2 has done since Pop was released. Pop is not as good as most of what came before, but it's no worse than what came after. "Mofo" kind of sounded dated the day it was released, but at least there is an intensity that is lacking in much of what U2 is doing today.

The reviews for Innocence are fascinating. All over the place.
Old 09-11-14, 07:53 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Love the album, more than anything since Pop. (which is underrated as hell). It feels so cohesive to me.
Old 09-11-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too think Pop is underrated. IMO Zooropa is the one that sounds like songs rejected from other sessions. Even the hits from that album are songs I would leave off any Best Of, or personal favorites mix CD I could put together.
Old 09-11-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I wonder is giving it away for free is someone devaluing the music, even if subconsciously, for some people.
Old 09-11-14, 12:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Zooropa is the last classic U2 album, IMO.
Old 09-11-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Not impressed on first listen. I hope it improves. Nothing grabs me as great. Invisible was better than anything on here. I will definitely give it more chances, but I don't know.
Old 09-11-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Zooropa is the last classic U2 album, IMO.
Really? I hate Zooropa -- well, maybe not "hate", but have disliked it more than any other U2 album ever, until No Line on the Horizon. I've enjoyed All That You Can't Leave Behind and parts of Atomic Bomb a lot more than that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.